2009 Chrysler Town & Country drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country:

2009 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 082015

Town & Country

After starting the car in a car park and driving a 100 feet, the transmission display showed that instead of being in drive, the vehicle was in gear 3. the dashboard mounted shift control does not easily move from drive to lock into gear 6 let alone getting all the way down to 3.

- State College, PA, USA

Jul 282016

Town & Country

After several hours of driving on interstates at the various legal speed limits from central Pennsylvania to Massachusetts, the dashboard warning chime started, the information display showed that the blind spot detection system was inoperative and then the transmission down shifted to 3 resulting in excessive engine revs. Cruise control was engaged at the time, but the car was not going down a hill. The driver used the +/- shift control to return the car to gear 6. at the same time, the tire pressure monitor system said that it had failed and then recovered after five minutes. Eventually, the tpm system recovered as did the blind spot detection system. All of these problems have happened in the past individually, but on this trip they all happened at once. The car dealer could not detect any problem.

- State College, PA, USA

Mar 152015

Town & Country

Vehicle randomly stalling after exiting freeway and coming to a stop. This problem is already addressed in problem #12, and could be a common problem that the dealer seems to not duplicate. I have been in phone tag with Chrysler Corp. 10 times between 4/17 and 4/28/16 with no resolve. When I do get in contact with the rep he doesn't have a clue. On two occasions the rep asked if I got my car back from the dealer. I have to tell him that the vehicle hasn't been to the dealer since my complaint of no resolve by the dealer. He then says he will have to contact the dealer. This has happen 2 times, the last being 4/28/16. I haven't heard from him since, today being 5/3/16. On line cargurus site says my problem is the torque converter control solenoid not unlocking the converter from the higher highway gear, causing vehicle to stall when exiting and stopping off freeway. This problem has been going on since 03/15/2015, with the dealer not duplicating the problem on 3 occasions. I had the trans fluid changed hoping they would find something, nothing. Been waiting for it to crash, but now I am tired of waiting. It is now a year later with no resolve.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 022016

Town & Country

The transmission has a shifting issue which may cause a serious accident when turning into traffic.it can happen when stopped at light or off side streets when accelerating into turn. It feels like transmission slips out of gear and then slams into gear but I am afraid that it will malfunction and I will not have any way to get out of traffic in time. This issue happens both stationary and in motion and on city streets.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 112015

Town & Country

When we bought the vehicle (at around 80K miles) we noticed that you could smell coolant at times, but were told it was nothing. When we took it in for service we were told that it was 2 quarts low on oil. I asked the shop that did the first oil change, thinking maybe they didn't do a proper job- he mentioned that this was a common issue with this year of Town & Country. I took it in for a recall- a good friend wanted to perform an oil consumption test. Come to find out, it was burning oil at a rapid rate. If I hadn't been aware & checking the oil on almost a daily basis, it could have run out & the engine seized. The burning oil causes issues with the rings as well.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Oct 142015

Town & Country

Three times in the last two weeks, while the van was in park with the emergency brake engaged, it rolled several feet. One of the times it was on completely flat ground. I am very afraid that while parked it will roll and injure or kill someone. This is a very serious safety issue. I read through the recalls and see that there is a recall on the 2015 Chrysler 200 for this already. I have a video of it, but can't seem to upload it to this site. If you could send me an email at rhograin@comcast.net, I could send the video back that way.

- Upper St Clair, PA, USA

Oct 142015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the contact was unable to shift the gear into park. In addition, the vehicle was unable to restart. The ignition switch fractured and was able to rotate intermittently with the key. All of the instrument panel lighting failed to illuminate. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the key fob needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Town & Country

The issue only occurs when traveling at a speed in which the transmission is engaged into overdrive that I have noticed. Once the transmission is engaged into overdrive and deceleration begins and the vehicle is coming to a complete stop upon exiting the highway/freeway/expressway is when the vehicle shutters (RPM's) dip down to 500 and jump to 1500 multiple times., lunges forward and will stall. At this point it will take multiple attempts to restart the vehicle. One remedy I have found when it begins to start the symptoms is to shift the vehicle in neutral and wait a couple seconds after coming to a complete stop. This doesn't correct the rough idol and minor lunging forward, but it does stop the vehicle from stalling in traffic. I have addressed this issue with the dealer with them only taking it on a minor road test even after explaining they issue. They stated nothing was wrong.

- Roseville, MI, USA

Sep 122012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While attempting to start the vehicle, the shift lever failed to move. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,833.

- Washington Twp, MI, USA

Jul 122014

Town & Country 6-cyl

When changing brake pads out all the treads on the cv joint end fell off in my hand this vehicle is only 5 years old and the metal is disintegrating also the engine burns almost 3 quarts between every oil change.from what I see on the internet all of the Chrysler 3.8 engines do this.this is not right !

- Richmond, IL, USA

Feb 172015

Town & Country

Ignition causes key to shut vehicle off while driving. Dealer states manufacturer does not/will not have recall parts for another year possibly. Have been notified of recall and contacted dealer months ago.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle has stalled under the following conditions: Engine warm driving on bumpy road less than 25 mph (this is how the stalls began), now - engine cold or warm vehicle in deceleration mode - many different speeds from 25 to 60 mph. I can 'feel' a slight loss of power in the vehicle when stalling is prone to happen, I can almost anticipate it now and drive two-footed to keep it from happening. Stalling has occurred over 30 times in the last six months. There are no mil codes in the system. According to Chrysler hotline - the vehicle is not part of the ignition switch recall for 2009. No repairs have been made. Not taken to the dealer because it seems impossible to duplicate and thought that would be a waste of time.

- Brownstown Township, MI, USA

Oct 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle refused to start on several occasions, lights on, power on, engine would not turn over, no sound from starter. Then after many attempts, vehicle would start as if nothing was wrong. Then vehicle would stop in traffic and whatever speed traveling, dead with no response when trying to restart. After many attempts to start while in middle of traffic vehicle started as if nothing happened. Dealer states ignition & tipm module are fault.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Jul 272012

Town & Country 6-cyl

My vehicle has stalled out twice. Once just after stopping at an intersection and once when turning in my driveway. On both occasions, the power steering went out and I could not control the direction of the van. Thankfully the brakes did not go out. This is very worrisome to me, especially if it could occur at higher rates of speed. I did take it in to a dealer for this issue, although nothing was done for it. Constantly worried it could happen again.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

May 252011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated the vehicle would shake when the gears were shifted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,000. The current mileage was 66,000.

- Bridgeville , PA, USA

Jan 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Several times I have been driving and my engine stops for no reason. It has happened has I was merging onto a highway and instead of increasing my speed I was slowing down. It has happened at random times and in just normal driving situations. The most recent was driving from Rhode Island back to ct and 2 hours into the drive the car stopped as I was turning left at a light from one busy roadway onto another with quite a few cars surrounding me. Most of the time that this happens I have to pull over (without power steering) and put the car in park to restart the car. Each time I have been able to do so safely but it is a very serious concern and I usually have my kids in the car with me. Chrysler needs to repair this because this is obviously not the first complaint on the issue.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Mar 042014

Town & Country

While traveling down the interstate at 75 mph our Town and country stalls... this occurs while passing a tractor and trailer with one also behind us. At 75 mph the vehicle gave no warning it was about to stall, the throttle control light came on and the vehicle lost all power. We just about got ran over by the tractor and trailer cause there was no time to try and move over to the slow lane. I was at 75 mph and it dropped to 30 mph in a matter of seconds. Take it to the to a local dealer " everything looks good " on our way home. Does the same thing but lucky enough we was already into the slow lane to be able to pull off to the side. We had the vehicle rechecked and still no faults found? after this these needs to be checked into do to the simple fact of the loss of power and sudden stall...

- Clay City , KY, USA

Mar 082013

Town & Country

Vehicle stalls while exiting highway and coming to a stop. Engine rpms dip and car bucks and almost hits car in front. Then engine stalls out. At first after putting it in park and restarting it was ok until going on the highway again. Now the engine doesn't buck it just stalls out when coming to a stop after highway driving and when put in park it starts but when put into drive it stalls right out again. Then starts after being put back in park and I have to apply throttle to get it going in drive. Dealer is completely clueless and since no computer code is stored, they do not know what to do. This is extremely dangerous and Chrysler just backs away from the problem. I have a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty but I don't know what is causing this and since I am now at 56,000 miles, my bumper to bumper warranty has past and the dealer doesn't know what to do nor care to try to fix it and if its sensors then I will be paying out of pocket on a vehicle I just finally paid off. I am about to call lemon law and sue Chrysler for a dangerous vehicle that they do not care to help with or pay for to be repaired. I will never buy another Chrysler again, but since I just paid this car off, I have no option to buy a new car anyway. Besides no one would, want to buy this car since it stalls out when leaving the highway. Very dangerous. Please help! the drivers seat seat belt also doesn't click the belt in so it can't be used. Extremely unsafe vehicle.

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Nov 102011

Town & Country

Was driving about 20 to 30 mph, crossing over railroad tracks the vehicle cut out and completely shut down. Had to put the car in neutral and attempt to restart. It restarted and did not happen for a while. This happens on occasion and is an on going problem. Had it in to Chrysler dealer and they said they were not able to find anything wrong with the car.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Jul 202013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have been hearing a grinding/howling noise coming from the front of the vehicle. I took it to a Dodge dealership and they advised the front hub/wheel bearings have gone bad. Chrysler is recommending the replacement of both front hub assembly's (driver and passenger side) because the part had to be redesigned to prevent failure. Chrysler has issued recalls for several of the Town and country's within the year range of 2008 - 2010, but does not want to cover this one because it is not in their parameters for repair. I told the Chrysler representative that obviously the bearings should be included because they are failing and Chrysler is requiring both sides to be replaced, even though only one side is bad. This is a safety concern as hub/bearing assembly's failing at highway speeds could cause a catastrophic accident. This would be a premature repair and obviously has a design flaw. The internet is filled with this same problem and Chrysler refuses to assist with the repair costs or to issue the recall for my vehicle based on their in house parameters. I fear for anyone who has a bearing go out at highway speeds, especially with a vehicle that only has 70K miles. This is not a normal issue for the mileage. The bearing has suddenly started having this problem. Chrysler should be responsible for repairing these in all models that do not have the redesigned parts, which they obviously had to redesign because they fail. This is a safety issue and really concerns me that Chrysler does not want to take responsibility for fixing the problem that their own engineering and lack of quality in materials has caused, which could lead to a serious injury or death.

- Yulee, FL, USA