2.3

2009 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country:

2009 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 302013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after placing the gear in park. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Middlefield, OH, USA

Nov 102011

Town & Country

Was driving about 20 to 30 mph, crossing over railroad tracks the vehicle cut out and completely shut down. Had to put the car in neutral and attempt to restart. It restarted and did not happen for a while. This happens on occasion and is an on going problem. Had it in to Chrysler dealer and they said they were not able to find anything wrong with the car.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Sep 132013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My wife was driving our 2009 Chrysler town and county down the road when the vans engine completely turned off as if she shut the ignition down. Thankfully my wife was able to coast into a parking area where after some time she was able to restart the van and proceed on her way. Numerous times I have tried to start the van and the engine would not turn over until the key was taken out and flipped around and then it would start. Two days ago the van would not start at all but all if the key fob functions worked and all of the electrical gauges came on. After the van was towed to the dealership I was contacted and told that a new win module and key fobs would have to be purchased costing approximately 800 dollars.

- Boardman , OH, USA

Aug 052013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have owned the van for 4 months. There is no visible oil leak but I seem to be losing 2 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. Its burning somewhere but no one can tell me anything. (mechanic and dealer) I have read about other owners stating the same thing. Came to this website to inform you of the issue.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Oct 032012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled as the traction control warning indicator illuminated. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The fuel pump was replaced however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Nov 052012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the vehicle began to loose power. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road and the vehicle would not restart. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that he could not determine the cause of failure. The contact replaced the battery but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Covington, GA, USA

Oct 202012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Car starting accelerating on its own. I wasn't able to slow down as the brakes didn't respond (they seamen stuck). This has happen at least twice in a 3 weeks period. I have to push the accelerator harder in order to somehow made the car responsive. The second time this happened, a brake signal came up, once I was able to take control of the car, I parked on side of the road, turned the car off and then turned on again and signal went off. Both times I was driving in the freeway at 65 mph trying to pass another car with my 2 kids under the age of 5!!!. second time I almost hit the car infront of me.

- Fort Lewis, WA, USA

Sep 272012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The failure recurred intermittently with no warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired.the VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Sep 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Purchased a 2009 T&C 3 weeks ago, 47607miles. First incidence occurred after 1 week. While driving the vehicle lost power steering, (electronics, lights, radio, etc remained active), I realized the engine had stalled/cutoff. I was only going about 20mph, I had to put the car in park and restart the ignition. Car drove fine. Took the car back to dealership where they machined the rear rotors. Week 2, took the car back to the dealership again, they machined the front rotors. Week 3, while driving the same incident occurred, engine cutoff during operation without warning. Luckily I was in a neighborhood and speed was approx 15-25 mph. Electronics remained active. (there were no warnings or error codes when the engine shut down.) had to put the vehicle in park and restart the engine. Took the car back to the dealership for the third time in 3 weeks of ownership where it currently remains as they try to chase this ghost. I am convinced this vehicle is dangerous and not safe to drive since the engine cuts off randomly. I asked first team Honda of chesapeake to take this vehicle back and I would buy a different vehicle. The used car sales manager offered me 75% of what I paid for the car 3 weeks earlier and told me there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. It is under warranty for 90 days so I will continue to send the car back and warn others before they purchase an unsafe vehicle.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country touring. The contact stated that while traveling 35-40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact did not confirm the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 67,500.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Sep 012009

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled times without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed however, the diagnostics was unable to locate a failure code. The dealer then replaced the engine oil and advised the contact that the vehicle did not exhibit a manufacturing defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000 and the current mileage 51,000. The VIN was not available.

- Marathon , FL, USA

Oct 162010

Town & Country 6-cyl

After sustained highway speeds, our van stalled upon exiting the highway and coming to a complete stop at the first traffic light. The steering wheel and brake pedal would shake very hard immediately prior to stalling. The tachometer would also dip below 750 RPM immediately before engine stalling. This same thing happened at least 10 times before we finally took it back to the dealership. They could not find anything wrong with the van and said that they simply updated the engine computer software. The problem continued and became quite predictable. There is no problem when the vehicle is driven around town since I don't get onto a highway to go to work or shop. It happens all the time now after we've been on the highway for a while and exit. Sometimes it will stall before we can even come to a complete stop which concerns me greatly. Our vehicle recently ran out of it's regular 3 year/36,000 mile warranty so we took it to our regular mechanic because we wanted another opinion and to finally get it fixed even if it had to be at our own expense. Our mechanic determined that the problem was with the torque converter. Apparently the torque converter is intended to help the transmission get better gas mileage when at highway speeds. Upon exiting the highway, the torque converter is not properly disengaging which is resulting in our engine stalling issue. Instead of charging us to fix the problem he told us to have our dealer fix it since it should still be covered by the power train warranty as we have just over 40,000 miles on the vehicle. After 3 days with the dealer, they have yet to resolve the issue and claim that they cannot reproduce the problem. Needless to say, we are extremely frustrated. Chrysler needs to either fix the problem or replace the vehicle.

- Plano, TX, USA