2009 Chrysler Town & Country wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country:

2009 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012016

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, a popping noise emitted from the vehicle. The contact coasted to the side of the road and noticed that the vehicle wheel was loose. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and was informed that the love nuts had detached. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Bayvillege, OH, USA

Jun 152016

Town & Country

The tires have had slow leaks for some time. Last night I went to add air and one tire valve stem blew off and I had to get aaa to change the tire. My wife drives this car and we use it for family trips. I am glad it did not come off while I was driving.

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Oct 302015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle shook without warning. The contact pulled over and discovered that the rear passenger side tire was flat. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the tire pressure monitor sensor retaining nut was split and failed due to erosion, which caused the tire to deflate. As a result, the tire needed to be replaced. The tire was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,052. Updated 04/22/16

- Monroeville, NJ, USA

Jul 102015

Town & Country

While filling the rear driver side tire with air, the aluminum valve stem snapped off causing the tire to completely deflate. Replaced aluminum stem with rubber stem as a temporary fix while searching for replacement parts to the TPMS sensor. Approximately two days later, while attempting to unscrew the valve cap from the rear passenger side tire, the aluminum valve stem broke off in my hand causing the tire to completely deflate. I found after market replacement aluminum valve stems that fit the oem TPMS sensors and had them all replaced. Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before these fail. Aluminum valve stems on TPMS are clearly a safety issue and warrant a recall. TPMS stems on all newer vehicles are now rubber.

- Kings Park, NY, USA

May 052015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 45 mph, the front driver side tire blew out and was replaced with a spare. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the tire was replaced. The low tire warning light illuminated, and the contact noticed that the rear passenger side tire was low. The contact attempted to add air to the tire and the valve stem blew off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the valve stem was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Canastota, NY, USA

Jul 032015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the front driver side wheel detached from the vehicle. While driving 70 mph exiting the highway, the vehicle started shaking uncontrollably. The vehicle would not accelerate over 50 mph and slowed down in the middle of the highway. The entire front driver side wheel failed. The contact discovered the body frame, wheel assembly, wheel hub, and wheel bearing were all damaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Jan 132015

Town & Country

Tire valve stem was broken out and flattened out when I took out plastic cap for air filling because I got low tire pressure alert two month ago. I changed tire pressure sensor at my own cost over $200. But yesterday I got low tire pressure alert again, and found another valve stem was broken out again. Need to be recalled. This can cause severe situation not to control vehicle if it happens during driving.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Aug 262014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle veered to the right and the tire pressure warning light illuminated. The contact discovered that the front passenger's side tire was flat. The contact was unable to inflate the tire since the valve stem went inside the tire. The independent mechanic diagnosed and repaired the tire pressure monitoring system and the valve stem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jul 022012

Town & Country

I have a 2009 Town and country. Approximately 2 years ago, my wife and 2 kids were stranded in detroit due to a blowout tire. The tire blew due to the tire sensor breaking loose. I took the T&C to discount tire and was advised that they see this all the time with these sensors. In fact, they had T&C's lined up in the parking lot with the same issue. I decided to take the vehicle to a local Chrysler dealer, and they also stated that this is a known problem. I had them fix the tire/sensor. The salesman sold me a tire and wheel warranty on all the tire for $160. The salesman stated that it would cover the sensors. On March 3, 2014, I received a low pressure alert. I checked the tires and noticed that the 2 front sensors are broke. It is a matter of time until they break off and cause 2 more tire blowouts. I thought I would be proactive and call the Chrysler dealer and see if I can replace them under the warranty. They stated to me that they are not covered. It was stated that it is only covered if the tire is a blowout/caused by hitting pot hole. The person I spoke on the phone also mentioned that very well know problem of these sensors and that he wishes that Chrysler would recall them. So instead of replacing the 2 sensors now, I would have had to wait until the inevitable of 2 blown tires before my warranty goes into effect? no thank you, I replaced the sensors. My concern is this faulty sensors. What if I didn't check my tire stems, my family would have been again stranded on the road, or worse...been involved in an accident. These sensors need to be recalled!

- Livonia, MI, USA

Nov 032013

Town & Country

I was unscrewing the plastic tire valve cap and the tire valve stem broke off in my hand. Air leaked out of the tire until the tire was flat. After changing the tire to the spare took the tire to the dealer and was told it needed a $100+ TPMS sensor replacement. This is the 2nd time this has happened on this vehicle. The first was handled under warranty. These valve stems break off easily, and make the car undrivable.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Apr 192013

Town & Country

My 2009 Chrysler has consistently had problems with the entire front wheel system on it. In the spring, I started hearing a noise from my front wheels when the vehicle is in motion. I already have to have brakes and rotors replace every 4 - 6 months, but now the wheel bearings are wearing out which is a huge safety issue. Chrysler sent out letters admitting to a problem with premature wearing and extending coverage to 90,000 miles and I took my van in before reaching that mile limit but they of course didn't see anything wrong with my wheel bearings. Conveniently for them, my wheel bearings waited to start showing signs of wear at 92,000 miles. I am sickened that there isn't anyone looking out for our safety and know it is pointless to make this report B/C no one is ever going to hold these american car makers responsible for their shoddy work that could cause injury or death. I can only hope that others read this and choose their next car brand more wisely.

- Galena, OH, USA

Jul 202013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have been hearing a grinding/howling noise coming from the front of the vehicle. I took it to a Dodge dealership and they advised the front hub/wheel bearings have gone bad. Chrysler is recommending the replacement of both front hub assembly's (driver and passenger side) because the part had to be redesigned to prevent failure. Chrysler has issued recalls for several of the Town and country's within the year range of 2008 - 2010, but does not want to cover this one because it is not in their parameters for repair. I told the Chrysler representative that obviously the bearings should be included because they are failing and Chrysler is requiring both sides to be replaced, even though only one side is bad. This is a safety concern as hub/bearing assembly's failing at highway speeds could cause a catastrophic accident. This would be a premature repair and obviously has a design flaw. The internet is filled with this same problem and Chrysler refuses to assist with the repair costs or to issue the recall for my vehicle based on their in house parameters. I fear for anyone who has a bearing go out at highway speeds, especially with a vehicle that only has 70K miles. This is not a normal issue for the mileage. The bearing has suddenly started having this problem. Chrysler should be responsible for repairing these in all models that do not have the redesigned parts, which they obviously had to redesign because they fail. This is a safety issue and really concerns me that Chrysler does not want to take responsibility for fixing the problem that their own engineering and lack of quality in materials has caused, which could lead to a serious injury or death.

- Yulee, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Town & Country

Over the past 3 years 3 of my 4 valve stems have cracked and failed. These were aluminum stems original to the vehicle. They have all cracked in the threads. Total failure results in a sudden loss of all tire pressure. Fortunately, all have broken while the vehicle was at rest. Typically it is proceeded by a low tire pressure warning, then when the valve stem cap is removed (to add air) the top portion of the stem and the valve itself comes off (once violently, shooting the valve across the garage).

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Apr 252013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My tire valve broke... I got a flat tire while driving. The aaa person said he has seen this alot. Also I called the tire store to see how much this will cost and when I told him my valve broke, before I could tell him what car I have, "he said let me guess you have a Town & Country or a Jeep." They need to issue a recall immediately, this car is a mini van, mini van mean children. We cant be driving our children around in unsafe vehicles. Hello!!! can you say Firestone. Make them fix this asap before god forbid something terrible happens.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Apr 042013

Town & Country 6-cyl

4/4/13 traveling on freeway tire suddenly blow out without any warning from tpm system. I had to call emergency road services to replace tire with spare and immediately went to a tire dealers where sensor on rear tire had to be replaced. I had to replace 2 more sensors within 2 week period 4/18/13 which had cracked. There was no warning notice from tpm that there was a problem and only notice additional sensor at time vehicle was getting oil change at dealership. Dealership had replaced a 4th tire sensor a year ago. Dealership failed to place me on notice of the problems with the sensors units and the cost of replacing units came out of my pocket.

- Shaker Hts., OH, USA

Feb 192013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact was driving 25 mph when the passenger's side rear tire failed. The contact replaced the tire as a remedy. The vehicle was then taken to a repair shop where it was determined that the cause of the failure was a faulty valve stem. The manufacturer advised the contact that the whole tire pressure monitoring system would need to be replaced. The contact stated that the failure was the second occurrence of its nature. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 65,00.

- Edwardsburg, MI, USA

Sep 212012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that the sleeves that hold the valve stems in place had deteriorated preventing him from using the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the only thing holding the valve stem in place was the tire pressure. The dealer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 162012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving 70mph on the freeway, the back passenger tire blew. I took it to a tire shop and they stated the cause was from tire sensor stem breaking off the tire, causing the tire to blow. They advised me that this is an ongoing problem with Chrysler Town and country's. in fact, Chrysler has recently changed the way they have made the sensors due to the ongoing problem. Why is there no recall on these tire sensors? I had to purchase a 2 year warranty on my existing tires just to protect myself for any additional sensor issues. Too bad it won't protect my family when the tires blows again at 70mph.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 042012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Tire valve stem broke off while at highway speed on an expressway causing the tire to immediately deflate! I was able to pull off on the shoulder and replaced the tire with a spare. Fortunately, the flat was on the right rear tire. If it was on the front I could have lost control and could have had a fatal accident. The tire had to be placed as well as the TPMS sensor. The mechanic informed me that this particular valve stem is made of aluminum and can fatigue do to road salt and corrosion. Surly this is a safety issue and the vehicle should be recalled. Due to the fear that this might happen again, I had the remaining sensors replaced at a significant cost to me. Please address this issue before people are killed.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Apr 092012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while having the tires replaced, the valve stem separated from the vehicle. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 55,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- St. Peters, MO, USA