2010 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 242013

Town & Country

In June 2013 my engine stalled without warning. I lost power steering and power brakes. I was traveling <10 mph. I had another incident later that same year in October. The incidents were so random and I thought perhaps I didn't turn the key fob all the way after starting the vehicle via the remote start system. Again in 2014 it occurred several times, so I started trying to determine the common denominator, but could find none. The service station I brought it to couldn't diagnose or repair due to the inability to replicate the problem. In 2015, the problem became more frequent and today I am now experiencing this 2-3 times per day 3-4 times per week at speeds traveling up to 40 mph. I brought it to my local Chrysler dealership where I purchased the vehicle and after having my vehicle for 5 days they were unable to diagnose or repair due to the inability to replicate the problem. This has truly become a serious safety issue as I always lose power steering and brakes. Typically, I put my hazards on, place the vehicle in neutral, restart it, return to drive, and turn hazards off. However, I came very close to being involved in an accident when this occurred while I was making a left hand turn through an intersection. I am at a loss as what to do.

- Zelienople, PA, USA

Nov 032014

Town & Country

Vehicle stalls with loss of engine power, loss of power brakes, and loss of power steering. Stalling event normally occurs within first few minutes of driving and seems to occur in temperatures below 40. Radio stays powered during occurrence and this can make notice of the stall event difficult until you need to turn, brake or accelerate and find you do not have engine power. Stalling events have occurred while pulling into traffic on major streets within first few minutes of driving and often while driving in parking lots and subdivision speeds. The vehicle has been taken to a Chrysler dealer several times and Chrysler cannot replicate the issue. Chrysler does not find any trouble codes stored to indicate an issue. The Chrysler dealer indicates this minivan is not subject to existing Chrysler recalls that indicate a loose key related stall.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Apr 012012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the brake pads wore prematurely and caused the rotors to overheat and wear prematurely. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic several times where the rotors were also replaced; however, the failure was not corrected and the brake pads continued to wear prematurely every 5,000 miles. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Marion , IA, USA

Mar 282015

Town & Country

I was driving the van and the steering wheel and brakes locked up. The van stalled in the middle of driving. Happened two separate days.

- Cape May Court House, NJ, USA

Apr 022015

Town & Country

As I was running errands all of a sudden the steering wheel froze and my brake pedal and accelerator quit functioning, I noticed my stability control light was on and within about 10 seconds the vehicle just stopped running in the middle of the street, thankfully I had avoided the highway that day, it's usually faster but with it being a pretty day I wasn't in a hurry. It was 80 degrees and sunny, this happened on a paved road no standing water, no hazards. This isn't the first time it has happened, leaving my home it's shut off. But since the ignition switch recall and the replacement being installed I have had nothing but problems, my $250 key had jammed and it takes multiple times of starting and re-starting the van to get it out. Yesterday was my breaking point, had I been on the interstate which is how I usually move about the city it could have been devastating. Fortunately I have a extended warranty plan and the dealer will fix the issue for $100, but it doesn't fix the fact that I have a broken key and ignition switch that something is obviously wrong with it. I've owned 4 Chrysler mini vans and this is the first one that has scared me.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 312010

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds approximately 55 mph, and then heavy traffic ahead if I depress my brake pedal the entire car shakes like real violently. I call the dealer they said we are aware of a problem, call for an appointment, when they looked at is about 2 months later they said it is under warranty they had to replace the warped rotors, and brake pads. Everything was fine till about 3 weeks latter it was doing it again I was told again the rotors are warped and I would have to pay a $100 deductible, I told them it is bran new I refuse to pay this. I left the dealer. After a week later I bring it in again the front rotors and pads along with the same in the rear, they said they changed the front rotors and pads out of good faith, I told them thanks for fixing the lemon. They said the vehicle will not pass inspection with the rear like that, I told them they should use better parts, and I will start using another dealer, so I did. Since then Chrysler has issued 2 recalls, one for the front rotors only, and a $100 deductible, and another recall having to do with the front wheel bearings. I was able to fix the rear and front brake pads, and rotors my self using a brand called raybestos they are aware of the Chrysler defect and make a problem free rotor for the fix, I have had it installed so far for 2 years problem free. Raybestos advanced technology rotors and pads.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

May 062012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at 60 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the steering wheel jerked. However, the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken multiple times to a dealer and an independent mechanic, who stated that the front brakes and rotors needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,600.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 142013

Town & Country

According to my local service manager, my van does not come under recall L25 because it was built in Aug.2010 and has the new and improved ignition switch. I don't agree! there have been 5 or more incidents with 3 during the van moving at different speeds. I have had the car in for this repair 3 times at the madison, ct dealership. We were told different opinions as to what the problem is. I clearly stated that this is a safety issue. The 3 moving stalls were all with my wife driving at different speeds, one with my daughter. We were very lucky that no one hit the car when there were these sudden stalls.. I pointed out to the service manager that my opinion is that the ignition switch was much to loose but he said that is the way they are. I don't agree again! we have had Plymouth and Chrysler vans since 1985 and have never had this problem.

- Madison, CT, USA

Mar 022015

Town & Country 6-cyl

For the third time in three months, and while driving, the vehicle lost electrical system, engine power, power brakes and power steering, plus loss of all panel & engine lights, and loss of radio. The latest incident happened in a residential area at 30-mph on 2 March 2015, odometer approx 126280. The previous two events like this occurred when vehicle was on highway at highway speeds and while accelerating, during November 2014 and January 2015. Please note that the ignition switch during this latest event remained in the on position. I am not sure whether in the previous two incidents whether the ignition switch had (or had not) slipped out of the on position. During this latest event on 2 March 2015, to restart engine while still coasting down the road, I had to carefully put trans in neutral position, then turn ignition switch to off, and then turn the ignition switch to start, to restart engine. The engine thus restarted normally in all three of these incidents.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Jan 082015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel became stiff. The contact depressed the brake pedal repeatedly, but it was unresponsive. The contact shifted into the park position and restarted the vehicle, which resumed normal operation. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,300.

- Ralleigh, NC, USA

Dec 222014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle was brought it to original dealership for a "winter maintenance" special. Dealership called claiming that both rear brakes and rotors needed to be replaced due to excessive wear yet the vehicle only has 25K miles on it. This is extremely premature wear for a vehicle in my opinion. I do not understand how a vehicle can destroy both its brake pad and rotor unless there is a design defect or known sub-par parts.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

Dec 152014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle shuts off without warning during operation. After driving for about 3.5 miles vehicle shut off in the middle of a left hand turn through an intersection. Radio remains on, but engine, power steering, power brakes stop working, traction control dash light illuminates. Electronic key appears to still be in the run position, and the vehicle can be restarted by shifting to neutral and turning key to off position and back to start. Has happen multiple times, taken to dealership and they were unable to identify a problem. Chrysler also refused to mention or acknowledge existing recall for what appears to be this exact problem because this vehicle was manufactured a few days outside the effective dates of the recall.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Dec 012012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that when depressing the brake pedal, it traveled abnormally to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the brakes required replacement every three months. In addition, the contact stated that the rear passenger side door failed to lock. The contact also stated that there was smoke coming from underneath the front of the hood and discovered there was antifreeze leaking. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Lima, OH, USA

Oct 152014

Town & Country

Van engine will randomly stall when in drive and in motion which leaves the driver unexpectedly without power steering and power brakes (and perhaps without active airbags?). this has happened several times within the past month. The local Chrysler dealer is unable to duplicate or find the issue. No active or any relevant codes (dtc's) stored in the PCM. Observations: Has only happened on a gravel road (luckily - with low speeds). Traction control light is illuminated every time. Upon coming to a stop and once the van is put back into park or neutral, it will immediately restart.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Oct 312014

Town & Country

Brakes are requiring replacement way too often. Numerous report on web indicate this is a manufacturers defect related to poor parts/excessive wear. I was told today that it will be $648 to replace the front pads and all the parts (rotor, caliper, pads) on both rear wheels. The automotive center told me this degree of wear is excessive for a vehicle with only 57000 miles on it. The van was bought used at 31000 and I have no info on whether there were brake problems prior to that. Some owners are reporting having to have replaced brakes (pads plus other components) three times before their vehicles reached 50000 miles.

- Hensley, AR, USA

Oct 272014

Town & Country

I was driving into work around 5 a.M on 10/27/14. I was going around 35 miles an hour. All of a sudden my headlights started blinking, then all the lights on the instrument dash board was going off & heard a binging noise. All of a sudden my 2010 Chrysler town & county van shut off causing me to loss steering & brakes ! I tried to turn the wheel as hard as I could right to avoid going left into oncoming traffic & ended up hitting a telephone pole. The air bags didn't deploy either. I was taking to the E.R. & dignosed with a mild concussion from hitting my head off of the steering wheel & have right groin and hip pain ! now I feel it is unsafe to drive this van since this happened!

- Andreas, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Town & Country

Engine stalled several times. Wireless ignition node was replaced and then found 2010 Town & Country had recall for same problem. I was charged $626.75 for this repair at dealer and claim our vehicle did not have this recall. However this vehicle had the exact same problem. Engine stalling resulted in the loss of power brakes, power steering and airbag loss. Luckily there was no accident at the bottom of the hill on a county road while my 3 children all under the age of 5 were in the vehicle.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 122013

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at random times the vehicle will completely loose power. The engine will shut off, no power brakes, or power steering. After a few seconds the traction control light and engine light will come on the dash. I can coast to a stop, put the van in park and turn the ignition to start and the van will start again. I can then put it in drive and everything is fine until it happens again at a random time. It appears that there are two recall notices for this year vehicle for the same problem but for some reason my van is not covered by either of these two recalls.

- Lowell, MI, USA

Sep 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving along secondary road when suddenly car looses all power. Vehicle looses all power steering, brakes, and looses all instrument panel cluster displays except the traction control light. Once vehicle is stopped, driver can shift into the park position, turn ignition to off position and restart engine. Vehicle powers up and driving can resume.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Jul 172014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle shut off, lost steering, brakes and all electrical, except for the stability control light which was illuminated. I was able to navigate to the side of the road. I was able to restart the car. This has happened several times since. Contacted Chrysler who said they had no info on any such problem.

- Heathsville , VA, USA