2010 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 32 of 38)

Jan 022014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the key became lodged in the ignition. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the module kit needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,327...updated 09-24-14 the consumer stated the radio and ac stopped working. Updated 10/02/14 updated 10/07/14

- Monroe City, MO, USA

Jan 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Pavement was wet and went to stop quickly. ABS was enabled for a few seconds then the system shorted, leaving only standard brakes. The ABS light, traction control and engine lights came one. The ABS system would no longer function. Traction control would not function. This was very evident on ice. Speedometer would not read out. The speedometer would be at zero then when driven the vehicle would ding about every 5 minutes and speedometer would go up and down to zero again. The engine and transmission would not shift correctly. It would always seem to drive in a higher gear. The odometer would no longer function. The electric van doors would not work when the vehicle was running. They would work when vehicle was off. Took van to dealer for repair. The ABS control module was faulty and had corrosion on the connections which needed to be replaced. The van was absolutely worthless until this was replaced which cost $850.

- Casco, MI, USA

Apr 042014

Town & Country

I purchased the car in January of 2014, about 3 months after, the vehicle emergency light intermittently flashed and the alarm remained on, until the battery was disconnected. After reconnection, the problem seem to have gone away. But two months later the car battery died. I replaced the battery with a new one that the dealer recommended. Two weeks later, the battery was dead again and the dealer recommended we change the alternator. The old alternator was removed and replaced with a new one. A week later, the battery dead again and the battery was replaces again. A week later the battery was dead. And the dealer decided to do a complete diagnose of all electrical component. The dealer claimed the dash cluster have to be replace. I don't truth the replacement of the instrument cluster will solve the problem, I don't truth the car and I am frustrated. Chrysler group llc has been contacted but they have not return any call back.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 142014

Town & Country

When this vehicle is stopped and placed into park the ignition switch will sometimes go to the off position and the key fob can be removed from the switch. Other times the ignition switch will only go to the accessory position. This will shut off the engine but will leave the rest of the electrical systems in the on position. At this point you cannot remove the key fob. This is an intermittent problem, but it happens to often. My feeling is that if I am in an accident and there is a gasoline spill of any kind there is no way to shut off the electrical system which could start a fire. Thank you

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 072014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Amending previous report. Mother, primary driver says vehicle cuts off.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

All gauges and accessories shut off while driving, intermittently. Has happened 6 or 8 times. Vehicle does recover, or can fix by wiggling keyfob. Have duplicated in driveway.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

There was no accident. Just wondering why Chrysler is taking so long to provide the part needed for this recall. I have called several times to inquire to the availability of this part.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Mar 162014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Came out of church services on March 16, 2014 and read out said "damaged key" opened the door and read out said "key in ignition", but the key was still in my hand. Bells were dinging, doors & lights worked but the van would not start, no matter what. Had to have it towed for maintenance. This occurred 4 times to this date; last night being the latest. Did get a new key fob on April 14, 2014 & had no more issues until last night. Had been shopping came out of the store, opened the door and bells were dinging, with "key in ignition" showing on the read out. Had my children with me in a not so safe area to be stranded in. Called for help, but van would not start for 2 hrs. It was dark when it started. Went straight home. Tried to go out the next morning and it would not start again. Just purchased this vehicle on Feb 15, 2014 and had this exact issue a total of 5 times. Hate I purchased this vehicle and will get rid of it asap. Even if it means losing my good credit. I wont pay a monthly note for an unreliable vehicle. This is awful and Chrysler should do a recall on faulty switches for the 2010 Town & Country. I haven't reached my 6 month mark for ownership of this vehicle and continue to have this serious issue. I don't have money for a monthly note and repairs simultaneously. Please do look into this issue.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 072014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. When the contact turned the key in the ignition, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was only able to start after numerous attempts and the radio and power windows were inoperable. The dealer stated that the ignition module needed to be replaced and that the contact needed new keys. The failures occurred after the vehicle was repaired for NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system). The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 44,350.

- Scott Depot, WV, USA

Sep 032013

Town & Country 6-cyl

About a year after purchase the automatic doors intermittently stop working and rear inside lights would remain on. This didn't effect operation or safety of vehicle so I didn't complain to dealer. No further incidents until September 2013, while on a roadtrip to Texas, air conditioner and directionals stopped working. No local dealership in the area so I was forced to bring car to local Firestone auto center. They were unable to find source of issue but issue seemed to resolve itself. While away that following December car was left unused for several days and battery was dead. Battery was replaced. Electrical issues continued in March 2014 and pulled car over emergently into sts auto center. They couldn't find source of electrical drain however problem again appeared to resolve itself. Brought car to dealership repeatedly since then. All gauges fail while windshield wipers remain on. Dealership has replaced instrument cluster, then a defective dome light, then claimed the battery was bad and replaced that again, then it was the instrument cluster again. Now I'm supposed to trust this car is going to be reliable and I'm being told be Chrysler that there is nothing more they can do or feel obligated to do. I called in today to file complaint and reported my car is functioning. I just went out to my car and all gauges are flashing at me. I must have jinxed myself!

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Sep 022013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 55 mph, the instrument panel gauges malfunctioned and completely failed. In addition, the windshield wipers activated unexpectedly and would not deactivate. The contact activated the headlights, but could not deactivate them without turning off the vehicle. The dealer stated that the instrument cluster was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 38,000. Updated 09/02/14 updated 09/18/2014

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jul 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

1. the front left headlamp burned a hole into the casing and was smoking from underneath the hood. 2. periodically while in transit, the turn signals, HVAC system, radio and door controls will black out. There have been times when the vehicle would not start. I would have to turn the key fob to the off position, and then it would reset sometimes.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving through my subdivision, I attempted to turn on the high beams for better visibility. At this instance, the wiper blades turned on and would not turn off. At the same moment, the vehicle lost the high beams, turn signals and windshield solution motor activation. The vehicle remained operational and no one was injured. I had to replace the turn signal, high beam and windshield wiper selector lever.

- North Prince George, VA, USA

Dec 122012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Ignition switch would not turn the car on and had to be towed.

- Marblehead, OH, USA

May 292012

Town & Country 6-cyl

In may, 2014 - our van started on its own without even a key in the ignition, and then it would sometimes start with key and other times it would not start at all. I had the electrical system repaired at cost of some $900. The Chrysler dealer said the only way you know of this repair is if I reported it to you - they don't and Chrysler doesn't. from recent news articles I learned that many 2014 have been on recall list, but not mine. Thank you for your help.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Jul 022014

Town & Country

I had the key fob in the ignition and when I went to turn off vehicle it would not turn off all the way. The key fob seemed to have separated somewhat. I wrestled with getting the vehicle turned off for a while and was finally able to get the key out and the vehicle turned off. When I went to turn the vehicle back on the key fob would not work. There was power to the fob. It would lock/unlock doors and the battery was fine. The key fob would not turn and could not get the car out of park or get the car to do anything. Had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They told me I needed a new win module. This was recalled and fixed in 2012. The dealership said it is not the same problem. I was told on the recall they fixed a component of the win module and now I need a whole new one for $800 and Chrysler will not cover this even though it is the exact same problem that the recall supposedly fixed. Car is only 4 years old with 54,000 miles on it. This should not be happening and Chrysler should fix it. I called Chrysler and it has been assigned to a case manager. We will see what the case manager says. I have read numerous complaints about this problem. For Chrysler to fix a problem on a recall and when that fix obviously did not work because same problem is happening to say it's not the same thing is completely unacceptable.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Jun 232014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V234000 (vent window switch) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would be repaired. There were no failures.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jun 242014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated while traveling approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was to be inspected, diagnosed and repaired by an authorized dealer. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 11V139000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Oct 132011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not able to be repaired because the part was unavailable. The contact stated that the front driver's side switch panel failed intermittently. The dealer replaced the switch panel prior to the contact purchasing the vehicle; however, the failure recurred. When the windows were rolled down, there was extensive water leaking into the vehicle from the front driver and passenger side windows due to the lack of window spoilers. The contact had to disconnect the fuse underneath the hood on several occasions because the rear windows would roll down automatically on occasion. In addition, the front driver and passenger side mirrors malfunctioned. The contact noticed a strong odor near the front driver's side of the vehicle followed by smoke and fire. The contact was able to extinguish the flames. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Feb 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

We purchased our 2010 van in December 2011. A couple of months later we were just driving down the road and, at first, we thought the van shut off, but it was just the radio, A/C, power windows, etc. That stopped working. My husband jiggled the key and everything started back up again. Throughout the event, the engine continued running. The funny thing is we did not bump anything in the road. It just shut off. We were not aware of any recall until recently. Another issue is we have also had an issue with our key not working because we are told there is something wrong with the win module. We have actually been locked out of our vehicle, because we would have to replace the win module in order to get a new key that will actually work with the vehicle. I am not sure if this is linked to other faulty win modules that I have read about.

- Fort White, FL, USA