2010 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 33 of 37)

Mar 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Van has wireless ignition system problems. Van has intermittent shut off, van has intermittent no start issues. Van has intermittent warning cluster, wiper, gauges, and headlight shut off and on problems. Van is dangerous to my fam. And others!!!!!!! found recall L-25 but this is fraud recall; only installing rubber ring on win module. Chrysler must service all vehicles with these problems asap before they get in more lawsuits and kill more people. Chrysler has case number: S10008000021 release date: 9/7/10 involves wiper, gauge, lighting and cluster problems that is happening to thousands of their units. Also bulletin #: 08-025-11 5/27/11 involves problems with wireless ignition system that is happening to thousands of their units. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Vega Alta, PR, USA

Mar 052014

Town & Country

I was turning a slow curve and I am not sure what caused it, but my engine turned off, my power steering and gas pedal failed. My brakes didn't seem to work as well and I had to come to a slowed stop and force my steering to turn onto an off road so I didn't cause an accident. When I came to a stop I turned the engine off and back on and the car started up right away and I have not had an issue since. I am not sure if I bumped the keys in the ignition or not. Unfortunately, I have had a few family emergencies and have had to reschedule the appt to get my car looked at and do not know the issue. I am concerned that it has to do with the recalls of cars with faulty key/ignition issues. I just bought this car that was supposedly certified back in November of 2013 with only approx. 37,000 miles on it. Should I give this back as a lemon and get a different vehicle?

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jan 012013

Town & Country 6-cyl

My car had the win start part replaced in the 2011 recall. I have found the issues listed below on several websites as being related, so I am listing them all. In these other reports the win start is listed as the problem, and replacing this part is $700+. an excessive cost to repair a component that fails so frequently, or that has already been replaced once on the car. Multiple issues: First the issue is that when I am driving, the car pauses or hesitates like it is going to die. There is no pattern to this, it happens at random speeds and under random conditions. Depending upon the timing and duration, this is definitely hazardous issue. Second: The key continuously gets stuck in the ignition, and I must sit in the car with the car off, or try to restart and shift the gears, sometimes up to 10-15 minutes before I can remove the key. In the beginning it happened only if I had been driving for awhile. Yesterday it happened and I drove only two miles. Third: The car won't start. It sometimes happens after the key has been stuck. I have had the battery and other components checked, but nothing is an obvious answer. Again, other websites connect this to the other issues herein listed and the resolution is replacing the win start.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 232014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle stalled while driving. No other indications or warning lights at the time. The vehicle was being driven at approximately 35 miles an hour when it suddenly shut off. Vehicle pulled to the side of a busy intersection to avoid collision.

- Chanhassen, MN, USA

Mar 152014

Town & Country

My wife and I purchased a 2010 Chrysler Town and country with a manufacture date of 11/10, about 2 weeks ago, and we immediately were having issues with the vehicles engine being shut off while driving. I did some research on the internet and found that the same model vehicle manufactured between August 3, 2009 and June 17, 2010 were recalled due to this same issue. Apparently they were built with ignitions that could accidentally switch from the "run" position to "accessory, " thereby causing the engine to shut off. But my same exact model vehicle is not covered by this recall because it does not fall within the manufacture date for the recall. I am highly upset at this because my wife is the main operator of this vehicle and my son is with her in the van. I want some answers about this issue, and a reason why my van is not in the recall when it is obvious that all vans of this model year are affected, I refuse to pay to have this fixed when it is obvious this is a manufacturers defect. Your recall I.D. is NHTSA campaign id: 11V139000. Thank you.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 292014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer replaced the battery as a temporary remedy however, the remedy failed to fix the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 49,000 and the current mileage was 50,777. Updated 05/28/14 MA the consumer stated this issue and repair is identical to a recall for the same make and model through July 2014 build date. Updated 05/29/2014

- North Wales, PA, USA

Aug 222013

Town & Country 6-cyl

2010 Chrysler Town and country my wife and I have been driving vehicle and multiple times over the last 6 months the vehicle stalls without warning. On one instance my wife was turning at an intersection when the car shut off unexpectedly and when this occurred the power steering stopped working and my wife nearly rolled into oncoming traffic. On another instance the vehicle stalled on me traveling down the freeway and I had to put the vehicle in neutral and start it again, when I did this it seemed like the car had to turn over for a few seconds before it would start up. We have 3 children and this is a very disturbing issue as it relates to safety. I would like to see Chrysler internal issue tracking on these items during launch of the vehicle because I have a relative a few years back who had a very similar issue with the Chrysler Jeep Grand Cherokee he owned. It seems to me that this is a bigger system issue with Chrysler as a whole. In addition to this safety I have multiple nuisance issues with my vehicle from door locks that buzz, sliding door seals that are cut up as a result of improper installation of door, window edge seals that appear to have been too long but installed anyway and air leak sound result from poor workmanship, rear power door that has stopped working.

- Holland, MI, USA

Mar 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The following lights came on: ABS, anti skid, check engine light. The engine started missing then the security indicator light came on and the alarm inside went off. I had no electrical controls. The windows wouldn't roll down, the door locks wouldn't work and then the engine shut off. The outside alarm then went off too. I had to disable the alarm by unhooking the battery cable. I had the car towed in to the dealer and they told me that the car was not communicating with the computer and they had no idea what the problem was. I then called Chrysler and checked to see if there had been a recall of any kind and sure enough my vehicle had the recall# L25. I have never received a recall notice but the gentlemen that I spoke with at Chrysler Corp. Said that according to their records the win module had been replaced on my van and that my vehicle had been repaired on 2-7-2012. That never happened!! it is currently being checked out by the Chrysler tech at our local dealer. They said they are only allowed to replace the rubber gasket inside the module and if the module itself is bad I will have to pay for the module. The gentlemen I spoke with at Chrysler corporation told me that the module would be covered at no charge. This is crazy!!! my two young grandsons were in the van when all this happened. Needless to say they were terrified. This problem needs immediate attention. The government needs to get involved here. This is definitely a safety issue!!

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Mar 012012

Town & Country

My husband took my 2010 chrylser Town & Country van to the dealer for the ignition recall. When he arrived home he explained to me that when he left the dealer he had no electric in the vehicle. He returned to the dealer and they told him that he had to be careful not to turn the ignition too far to the left or this would happen. This was suppose to correct a problem not create a new one. I would have thought that NHTSA would have reviewed the fix of the ignition issue and insured that it did not create yet another problem. I returned to the dealer and told them to return my car to the original equipment since I felt the repair was much worse then the risk that resulted in the recall. When will NHTSA take these issues seriously enough to ensure that the supposedly correction of an issue does not cause a greater concern? I had no lights, no radio, no handsfree phone connection once the "recall parts" were installed.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 102014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 11V139000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 242014

Town & Country

The engine shut down unexpectedly. Everything on the car just turned off. I was able to coast to the side of the road, waited a few minutes and re-started the car. This is the second time that this has happened recently.

- Lakeland, MI, USA

Oct 272011

Town & Country 6-cyl

2010 Chrysler Town & Country. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ignition recall. The consumer stated after the recall was performed, the problems with the keys was immediate. The keys strained to get past the rubber triangular-shaped objects that were installed as part of the recall. The consumer could feel the twisting force on the key each time. Prior to the change of the ignition, there was no significant force exerted on the key in the ignition. A few months after the recall, the consumer noticed the keys were starting to become damaged. By the summer of 2012, there was evidence of cracking in the bodies of the keys. By the summer of 2013, both keys were broken, but still working. By December 2013, both keys were broken, and one was falling apart. One key no longer worked in the ignition and the other key no longer worked to open the doors. One of the keys started to work intermittently in ignition. On one occasion, while away from home, it took 30 minutes to get the car started, because the vehicle did not recognize the key. The consumer stated it was clear, from the force exerted on the keys by the rubber triangles, it was a matter of when, rather than if, it will happen again. The consumer purchased a third key and was able to program it himself.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Jan 192014

Town & Country 6-cyl

My car has a history now of shutting off while driving. I took the car in twice into the dealership and was told that they could not find the problem (car was on a belt for days and test driven as well). I spent about $800 fixing non-related issues that were supposed to solve the problem and did not solve it. Last week, my car did the same thing - turned off and locked on the freeway- and we took it in and the dealership who could not find an error. We called Chrysler and were told that although other 2010's had been recalled for an ignition issue, my van was not on the list. This morning I read that other models from 2005-2007- over 780,000 vehicles were recalled for the same problem- turning off mysteriously while driving. It happened on the freeway to my husband almost causing a crash. I am forced to trade my car in and take a financial loss. I hope that the car is not resold because I believe the ignition is faulty but the dealership would not remove the part to test and Chrysler is not doing anything to remedy the car. I hope more cars are recalled and that the company and dealership take this issue more seriously.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 052013

Town & Country

The headlights dim, the radio stops, the four lights directly over the speedometer come on and off, the speedometer drops to zero when the dummy lights come on. Periodically the vehicle shuts of as it is moving. This all started happening after the NHTSA campaign #11V139000 recall on the ignition was replaced. It has been to three separate Chrysler dealers a total of seven times. It has been out of service for more than 30 days. Neither Chrysler nor the dealer wants to resolve this problem. They want to sell me a new car!

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 132014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Drivers side sliding door opens randomly by itself after the car is parked. It opens and closes even when the doors have been locked by the key fob or manually. Luckily it hasn't opened while driving yet. Had to disconnect the battery until we could have it checked. Called the local Chrysler dealer and they had never heard of the problem. They were no help at all and seemed to be impositioned by the question. Checking on line, there seems to be others with the same problem.

- Marquette, MI, USA

Jan 082014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated her vehicle was included in NHTSA recall campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system) and was repaired but the failure described in the recall continued to occur. While driving her vehicle it independently shut off which also affected her brakes, power steering and engine. An appointment was scheduled with a certified Chrysler dealership. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 132013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact was driving 45 mph when the ignition dropped out of the vehicle and the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to dealer for inspection however, the failure could not be duplicated. The contact was offered to replace the win module, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 51,600. Updated 2/11/14

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Dec 092013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The head lights go out intermittently or won't come on at all. The turn signals will not work as well as the horn. Sometimes everything works and sometimes it doesn't. this is extremely dangerous while driving at night and almost caused an accident as the head lights went out while driving. I did some research online and this is a problem that many Chrysler Town and country owners have reported. The issue is believed to be the tipm.

- Munhall, PA, USA

Dec 302013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle has been shutting off while driving down the highway. Prior to this it has been turning off by itself when starting it in the driveway to warm up. This all started about 4 months ago. This is dangerous especially when you have young children also. Looking at the recall it is only for the Canada vehicles. This should'nt be the case if there is the same vehicle doing the same thing and falls into the criteria of the recall.

- Corinth, TX, USA

Dec 302013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 11V139000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 77,000. Updated 2/11/14

- Corinth, TX, USA