2010 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Dec 052014

Town & Country

Appears related to NHTSA action number: DP14004 problem: Sudden unintended and uncontrollable acceleration sudden unintended acceleration of our 2010 Chrysler Town and country touring was experienced on 2 occasions (8/2/14 and 12/5/14) nearly resulting in a serious accident on each occurrence. Both incidents occurred under similar circumstances. While traveling on a freeway @ approximately 65 mph bearing left (either to change lanes or on a curve ) and accelerating, the accelerator pedal drops to the floor with uncontrolled full throttle acceleration. Braking did not stop the acceleration and emergency evasive maneuvers were required to avoid serious accidents on both occasions. Shifting in and out of neutral several times was performed and eventually the accelerator returned to normal operation. I am unsure what caused the unintended acceleration to stop. Key information identical during both incidents: 1. engine oil was changed within days of each incident. Oil change reminder counter was reset using manufacturer reset procedure. 2. left turn signal was engaged. 3. travelling at approximately 65 mph when beginning acceleration (transmission downshifted). 4. throttle position was approximately 30-40% throttle to accelerate to pass or get up to speed after a curved freeway entrance ramp. 5. vehicle had been driven for approximately 25 minutes prior to sudden acceleration on each occurrence (however in two completely separate locations). 6. this occurred on 2 occasions with 2 different drivers. 7. both incidents occurred while on a freeway. 8. duration of incidents: Approximately 10-20 seconds. This appears to be a software bug (I am an it professional and electrical engineer by degree). This needs to be fixed immediately for the safety of my family and the general public.

- Leslie, MI, USA

Nov 242014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the sliding side door opened independently. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 113,000. The VIN was not available.

- Crossett, AR, USA

Nov 242014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V234000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to specify when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Two Rivers , WI, USA

Mar 122014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the key fob failed to start the vehicle. Also, while driving approximately 40 mph, the engine seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the technician did not properly diagnose the failure. The ECU and wire ignition module were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Brooklyn Park , MN, USA

Jan 312014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph with the cruise control activated, the instrument panel began to malfunction and the engine stalled. The vehicle restarted independently but the failure recurred multiple times. The contact stated that the ABS, brake and traction control warning lights had illuminated intermittently while driving and the radio would shut off or the transmission would become stuck in gear. The vehicle had been taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnosis of the failure. The mechanic stated that there was electrical failure present but was unable to diagnose the exact cause or origin. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Creve Core, IL, USA

Oct 282014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system, visibility); however, the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to advise when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 212014

Town & Country

Our 2010 Chrysler Town and country van has cut off while driving, on multiple occasions. It has happened 3 times in just the past 3 weeks. There is no warning such as a hesitation or warning lights on the dashboard. The first indication is you lose power steering. The normal dashboard lights stay on but the van is not running and its difficult to get out of the way of traffic without power steering and it all happens so fast. We have been very lucky that there has not been an accident. We took all other keys off our van key fob and we checked the battery and it continues to happen. We know there is a recall for this very thing for ignitions for Town and country vans including the year 2010 but the dealership tells us (that by using our VIN number), our vans production date is outside of the recall dates.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Jul 152014

Town & Country

I was driving my van when the air conditioner quit working, then the power window's would not work, then the power lock's quit working, wiper's quit, plus several other thing's. the inside of the van became very hot as it was a 101 outside and I was afraid to shut the van off and be stranded. The engine continued to work and I drove it to a dealer not from my town who shut van off then restarted it, everything worked. I felt that I and my wife were in a very dangerous situation!!! I also had trouble with it starting several times as well. Itook van to my local dealer who determined that the computer moduel was bad; after some delay was able to have it fixed. So far van work's ok with a few oddities that I do not deem serious, yet. My local dealer was cooperative but not to forthcoming with info about the situation involving the module. Thank you.

- Salina, KS, USA

Sep 122013

Town & Country

While driving at random times the vehicle will completely loose power. The engine will shut off, no power brakes, or power steering. After a few seconds the traction control light and engine light will come on the dash. I can coast to a stop, put the van in park and turn the ignition to start and the van will start again. I can then put it in drive and everything is fine until it happens again at a random time. It appears that there are two recall notices for this year vehicle for the same problem but for some reason my van is not covered by either of these two recalls.

- Lowell, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Town & Country

Our van has issues w/the key fob.we can no longer remove from the ignition, if we do, it may not start again & if it does it takes up to an hr. Many times while driving the electrical system shuts off, radio, wiper, lights...everything.for it to work again we have 2 options, the unsafe jiggling of the fob hoping the lectrical returns and thevan doesnt shut off, or the safer option of pulling over where ever we may be, turning off van and back on.I was driving down a skinny rd, no place on the side to stop.I had my infant with me, it was 83 degree, windows up ac on.the electric failed, ac off and I was unable to put windows down and had no place to pull over while going around a blind corner.I had to drive while the van was heating up fast inside until I found a driveway I could pull into, turn off van and back on so I could put windows down.of, course when I stopped I I opened my door (unable to open the back doors because of electric failure) I went in the back to check on my baby who was sweating.this is unacceptable.my electric should never fail while driving.my key fob should not operate as it does.I have read many complaints similar ro mine.my husband actually came a cross a couple in the grocery store parking lot with the same key fob issue, they took it out and couldn't get their van to start agian.Chrysler should be responsible for this and should place a recall on the electric and key fob.it is very unsafe, I have contatced Chrysler and they just blew me off. I will be contacting them againa and againa and again until, hopefully something is done

- Swanzey, NH, USA

Jul 012014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact had to make several attempts before the vehicle would start. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Urbana, OH, USA

Apr 082013

Town & Country

The vehicle will not shut off and when in park will not release key. Spent hundreds of dollars worth of gas to release the key.

- Clayton, NY, USA

Oct 102014

Town & Country

Engine shut off while driving causing no power steering and no breaks. Check engine light came on as well as electronic throttle control sensor. Came to a stop and turned ignition off completely. Let car sit for a few minutes and turned car on again and was able to drive vehicle back home and park it. This is the second time this has happened while driving at low speed. Took to dealer and dealer determined that the key fob when in ignition can be jarred a little bit causing it to come slightly disengaged from ignition. Dealer said this is not part of any recall and to remove everything from the key ring except for key fob. Nothing they can do.

- Marion, IA, USA

Jun 282014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Andalusia, AL, USA

Aug 012014

Town & Country

We are experiencing the same problems as identified in the below investigation. Date investigation opened: Sep 25, 2014 date investigation closed: Open NHTSA action number: DP14004 component(s): Electrical system the car's headlights will either not turn on or will turn off while driving. We have brought it to the dealership numerous times and they weren't able to reproduce the problem(although they saw many tipm error codes. It finally occurred again last week and my wife rushed to the dealership and needed to let the car run for two hours since the technician was busy and we didn't want to risk them not seeing it occur. They have determined it to be a failing tipm module and the part is currently on backorder with no estimated delivery date. We can no longer use the car due to safety concerns and are feverously waiting on the replacement part. Driving on a highway at night and losing your lights, not a good thing

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Sep 292014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the remote entry electrical system was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the electrical failure was caused by wear and tear. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Springfield , IL, USA

Sep 212013

Town & Country

Engine stall has occurred for our vehicle 5 times in the past year. Dealership indicates that this vehicle is not included in the ignition switch recall. All incidents have occurred on city streets with no rough terrain or jostling of the keys. Car loses power steering and braking, would be extremely hazardous at higher speeds. Restarted each time without difficulty. Date of manufacture: 4/10 made in Canada

- Moorhead, MN, USA

Sep 042014

Town & Country

I was driving down the road with my family on a 25 mph road (thankfully not on the freeway) when the headlights went out. All of the dash lights were still on and the parking lights outside of the vehicle were still on as normal, but no headlights. We pulled over and figured we could drive home with just the fog lights on. Now when I try turning on the headlights, they will flash a couple of times and then stay off. Same thing happens when I try turning the brights on. I have tried taking the battery out for a few hours and charging it, then putting it back in, but it didn't help. I've tried replacing the headlight switch in the dash, but that didn't help either. I've looked for loose wires, but I can't find any. The only thing left that I can think of is taking it to the dealer and getting the tipm replaced, but apparently they are all on backorder.

- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA

Aug 252014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after numerous attempts. The failure occurred on several occasions. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V370000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Woburn, MA, USA

Sep 192014

Town & Country

It was about 5:30 in the morning and was driving to work. Both headlights quit working. I had to pull over because I couldn't see anything. I had to wait till daylight before I could drive again. Didn't want to cause an accident. Both headlights finally came back on around 730am. I'm not comfortable driving the vehicle while it is dark, don't want the headlights to go out again.

- Mcalester, OK, USA