2.0

2010 Chrysler Town & Country lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 022015

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have a 2010 Chrysler Town and country minivan. I have no headlights in vehicle. When I drive at night I have to use my hazards for other vehicles to see me. I took it to my local mechanic and it was diagnosed as a bad fuse box or module as they call it (mechanic googled the problem for 2010 Chrysler Town and country no headlights - read the responses!!). the part to fix my vehicle lists from Chrysler for $819.05 but it is not available because it is backordered on the Chrysler parts system, it looks like other people are having this same problem. So now I have to drive my wife and 3 kids in a vehicle with no headlights because the vehicle I drive is a Ford E-250 cargo van with only 2 seats. What am I supposed to do?? I spent $40,000+ on a vehicle and this is another problem I have had with vehicle (radio, warped disc on brakes and of course the key issues everyone talks about). I talked to Chrysler and they said maybe they could expedite the part but I said why do I have to pay to fix their problems. Customer rep "was sorry I felt this way" and that there has been no reported issues regarding this (I find this hard to believe with backlog of parts). What should I do" not drive my vehicle at night anymore? who going to pay to fix this? no injury or fatality yet but what are my chances since I have to drive at night with no headlights and no way to fix them?"

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 062014

Town & Country

Headlights randomly turn off. At first you could mess with the headlight switch and they would come back on now they will not. They flash about 5 times and neither the headlights or the brights will work. I was driving on the expressway and they shut off this is very scary and dangerous as I could not see a thing. The only lights that will work is the fog lights. I have googled this and it looks like there are numerous complaints. We have tried to replace the headlight switch with no luck the dealership does not know what could be wrong with it. This is very frustrating and there needs to be a recall for these vans this is outrageous!!! we have 3 soon to be 4 small children and this is just not safe, we can not even drive our van at night time due to the fear the headlights will not work. They will work for a day maybe 2 and then go back to not working. Please help!!!

- Saint Johns, MI, USA

May 142014

Town & Country

First incident was in May 2014 -- when we turned on the headlights, they would almost immediately go off. Since we obviously couldn't drive without working headlights, we took the car to a dealership. After checking all of the wiring relating to the headlights, and the wiring to /from the tipm, the " probable" cause was a faulty tipm. While discussing this with the service manager, a mechanic kept fiddling with the light switch and apparently the system somehow reset. Since there was no way to know if this was a one-time incident or the start of more problems, even the dealership was reluctant to advise spending $1200 or more to replace the tipm, especially since they could offer no guarantee that a new module would work better. In September, we again experienced the same problem with the headlights, and once again the system seemed to re-set. In November, we used the key fob to unlock the doors -- and both front windows rolled down (obviously, there is no window control on the key fob). The vehicle seems to have a mind of it's own, and learning of the other problems that could occur, we no longer feel safe driving this minivan, especially with our grandchildren. Since May 2014, we've only driven this minivan 1200 miles, and even then have been very cautious -- only during the daytime and never on the interstate.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012014

Town & Country

We are experiencing the same problems as identified in the below investigation. Date investigation opened: Sep 25, 2014 date investigation closed: Open NHTSA action number: DP14004 component(s): Electrical system the car's headlights will either not turn on or will turn off while driving. We have brought it to the dealership numerous times and they weren't able to reproduce the problem(although they saw many tipm error codes. It finally occurred again last week and my wife rushed to the dealership and needed to let the car run for two hours since the technician was busy and we didn't want to risk them not seeing it occur. They have determined it to be a failing tipm module and the part is currently on backorder with no estimated delivery date. We can no longer use the car due to safety concerns and are feverishly waiting on the replacement part. Driving on a highway at night and losing your lights, not a good thing.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Sep 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was driving down the road with my family on a 25 mph road (thankfully not on the freeway) when the headlights went out. All of the dash lights were still on and the parking lights outside of the vehicle were still on as normal, but no headlights. We pulled over and figured we could drive home with just the fog lights on. Now when I try turning on the headlights, they will flash a couple of times and then stay off. Same thing happens when I try turning the brights on. I have tried taking the battery out for a few hours and charging it, then putting it back in, but it didn't help. I've tried replacing the headlight switch in the dash, but that didn't help either. I've looked for loose wires, but I can't find any. The only thing left that I can think of is taking it to the dealer and getting the tipm replaced, but apparently they are all on backorder.

- Pleasant Grove, UT, USA

Sep 192014

Town & Country 6-cyl

It was about 5:30 in the morning and was driving to work. Both headlights quit working. I had to pull over because I couldn't see anything. I had to wait till daylight before I could drive again. Didn't want to cause an accident. Both headlights finally came back on around 730am. I'm not comfortable driving the vehicle while it is dark, don't want the headlights to go out again.

- Mcalester, OK, USA

Aug 302014

Town & Country 6-cyl

My headlights do not work. They blink on and off 5 times when I start my engine and then stay off. I googled the problem and immediately found out that this was a common problem for my vehicle. The tipm (totally integrated power module) is faulty. Have had it diagnosed at a dealer, charged me $102 to tell me what I already knew. Told me there are 75 tipm's on backorder and they have no idea when I will get one. Meanwhile, since this is a handicap vehicle for my 14 year old child who is a paraplegic, I have to rely on my fog lights to get her to school at 6:45 in the morning. I need this vehicle. I can't just run out and get a rental until this is resolved like others can. There are no handicap vehicle rentals. Numerous other people are experiencing a variety of problems associated with the tipm in their vehicles and I am concerned that my vehicle will begin to develop some of those problems as well on top of my seriously frustrating headlight issue. If I have a nighttime emergency with my child I wont be able to use my vehicle. Scary to say the least.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Apr 042014

Town & Country

I purchased the car in January of 2014, about 3 months after, the vehicle emergency light intermittently flashed and the alarm remained on, until the battery was disconnected. After reconnection, the problem seem to have gone away. But two months later the car battery died. I replaced the battery with a new one that the dealer recommended. Two weeks later, the battery was dead again and the dealer recommended we change the alternator. The old alternator was removed and replaced with a new one. A week later, the battery dead again and the battery was replaces again. A week later the battery was dead. And the dealer decided to do a complete diagnose of all electrical component. The dealer claimed the dash cluster have to be replace. I don't truth the replacement of the instrument cluster will solve the problem, I don't truth the car and I am frustrated. Chrysler group llc has been contacted but they have not return any call back.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 302014

Town & Country 6-cyl

After starting car headlights flashed on then off 2 or 3 times then remained off. After turning headlight switch on and off several times lights came on. This has continued since the date of first incident. While driving on the evening of August 3,2014 the headlights went off, do not plan on driving at night again until I receive reply from Chrysler. Called Chrysler customer service to complain today at about 11:30A.M. and only was told there was no recall on this vehicle at this time. I asked to speak with supervisor to help resolve issue and was told that supervisor will call me by closing on August 5,2014. This is a serious safety issue tag apparently occurred in the 2005 and 2006 Town and country minivans and is obviously still not resolved. The Chrysler dealer I went to today, university Dodge didn't seemed to concerned and offered no help.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Sep 032013

Town & Country 6-cyl

About a year after purchase the automatic doors intermittently stop working and rear inside lights would remain on. This didn't effect operation or safety of vehicle so I didn't complain to dealer. No further incidents until September 2013, while on a roadtrip to Texas, air conditioner and directionals stopped working. No local dealership in the area so I was forced to bring car to local Firestone auto center. They were unable to find source of issue but issue seemed to resolve itself. While away that following December car was left unused for several days and battery was dead. Battery was replaced. Electrical issues continued in March 2014 and pulled car over emergently into sts auto center. They couldn't find source of electrical drain however problem again appeared to resolve itself. Brought car to dealership repeatedly since then. All gauges fail while windshield wipers remain on. Dealership has replaced instrument cluster, then a defective dome light, then claimed the battery was bad and replaced that again, then it was the instrument cluster again. Now I'm supposed to trust this car is going to be reliable and I'm being told be Chrysler that there is nothing more they can do or feel obligated to do. I called in today to file complaint and reported my car is functioning. I just went out to my car and all gauges are flashing at me. I must have jinxed myself!

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jul 042014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving through my subdivision, I attempted to turn on the high beams for better visibility. At this instance, the wiper blades turned on and would not turn off. At the same moment, the vehicle lost the high beams, turn signals and windshield solution motor activation. The vehicle remained operational and no one was injured. I had to replace the turn signal, high beam and windshield wiper selector lever.

- North Prince George, VA, USA

May 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle's headlamps will turn off intermittently while driving or shortly after starting the vehicle whether the switch is in the "automatic" or "on" position. Problem is intermittent, and affects only the headlights and hi-beams. Fog and parking lights are not affected.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Mar 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Van has wireless ignition system problems. Van has intermittent shut off, van has intermittent no start issues. Van has intermittent warning cluster, wiper, gauges, and headlight shut off and on problems. Van is dangerous to my fam. And others!!!!!!! found recall L-25 but this is fraud recall; only installing rubber ring on win module. Chrysler must service all vehicles with these problems asap before they get in more lawsuits and kill more people. Chrysler has case number: S10008000021 release date: 9/7/10 involves wiper, gauge, lighting and cluster problems that is happening to thousands of their units. Also bulletin #: 08-025-11 5/27/11 involves problems with wireless ignition system that is happening to thousands of their units. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Vega Alta, PR, USA

Nov 052013

Town & Country

The headlights dim, the radio stops, the four lights directly over the speedometer come on and off, the speedometer drops to zero when the dummy lights come on. Periodically the vehicle shuts of as it is moving. This all started happening after the NHTSA campaign #11V139000 recall on the ignition was replaced. It has been to three separate Chrysler dealers a total of seven times. It has been out of service for more than 30 days. Neither Chrysler nor the dealer wants to resolve this problem. They want to sell me a new car!

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 092013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The head lights go out intermittently or won't come on at all. The turn signals will not work as well as the horn. Sometimes everything works and sometimes it doesn't. this is extremely dangerous while driving at night and almost caused an accident as the head lights went out while driving. I did some research online and this is a problem that many Chrysler Town and country owners have reported. The issue is believed to be the tipm.

- Munhall, PA, USA

Sep 272013

Town & Country

I was driving home from work and the likes started flashing and then went out. The parking lights and fog lights were the only lights that worked. Next morning the lights worked. A few days later same thing happened while I was driving. I sent a letter to Chrysler and they wanted me to take it to dealership to get looked at. It took me a couple weeks to get it there cause my other car was in the shop. I had days that the lights would not come on and days that they worked. After taking it to dealer they simply tightened the battery cables and charged me for it. Less then a week later it is acting up again. Lights will either work, flash on and off, or not come on at all. I wrote another letter to them and have an appointment to take it in on Friday but am considering just cutting my losses and trading it in because I carry kids in my van and this is not a safe van.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Aug 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Headlights did not come on at night after starting engine. This has happened multiple times over the past several months. It is intermittent and the lights will be normal for a week or two or three and then the problem occurs again. Several hours or the next morning after a problem all is normal. Sometimes after starting the headlights flash on and off. We are afraid to be away from home at night in this van. After reading the numerous similar complaints and considering the safety implications with this problem I am amazed that there has been no recall.

- Guinda, CA, USA

Feb 142013

Town & Country

The vehicle having this issue was a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. Driving and suddenly the headlights start flickering on and off and bright and dim. It was happening individually, so one light may be on and the other one off. Finally they both stopped and it was only the parking lights and fog lights working. Nothing would make them work. Drove later that same night and it was fine until I turned my lights on bright. I almost had a wreck when the lights went completely out and would not come back on. Chrysler needs to identify this problem and recall or extend free repairs for this asap before a fatal accident. It was 2/14/2013 when this electrical system issue happened and is consistentely happening.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Sep 192012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Headlights flashed quickly then would not come back on when starting the vehicle, it has happened 3 or 4 times intermittently. Moving the switch makes not different and shutting off the vehicle and restarting makes no difference as well.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Aug 092012

Town & Country 6-cyl

At first I noticed that the auto headlights did not come on in my darkened garage like they are supposed to. Then when I turned the lights on, the headlights still did not come on. Once the car had been turned on and off a few times and a few hours later, the lights worked again. This has happened 3 other times, in a very intermittent fashion. Once the lights came back on immediately after turning the car off and on. Another time, the lights remained off even after turning the car on and off. I had to drive home in the dark using only fog lights. I have no confidence that the lights will work when I need them and am afraid to drive my car at night or in the rain.

- Beachwood, OH, USA