2011 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 16 of 17)

Jan 062014

Town & Country

The "blind spot monitoring and cross path detection" safety feature stopped working. We are getting a warning to service this safety item. Blind spot monitor does not work, which puts us and others at risk of a crash. I see numerous other complaints on this safety item. We are getting estimates on it today, but based on other complaints, it is too expensive to repair. I expect Chrysler to address this safety concern and replace these defective units at their cost and my inconvenience.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

May 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The "service blind spot indicator" notification came on in 09/2013 at approx 35,900 miles. I brought it to the dealership and they determined that the sensor was defective and replaced it under warranty. On 5/20/2014 the same message appeared again. I called the dealership as I am now at approx 47K miles and out of warranty. They stated that since the part was replaced under warranty, the part did not get the normal 12K miles/12 month warranty. That is ridiculous as this is not a wear and tear part and it should surely last more than 9 months. This is one of the selling safety features of the vehicle. After doing a couple of searches on the internet, I have found that this is a common issue. I have contacted Chrysler in regard to the replacement parts not being covered. I say that if it is a known issue, it needs to be recalled.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Dec 132013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Blind spot detector stopped working at approximately 42,000 miles. Alarm came on saying "service blind spot system" and lights on both side view mirrors stays on all the time. The car just got out of warranty at 40,000 miles and they want to charge around $1,400 for rear module and around $800 for front module to fix the problem !! I think that's a scam !!! I purposely paid extra just for this safety feature and it doesn't work for no fault of ours !!! this is a safety problem because the car is large and the baby's car seat blocks the view out of the rear window !! while asking around I understand it's happened to quite a few people who own a Town and country after they get out of their warranty "?" I see a pattern going on here !!! please look into this issue. Thank you for your time & god bless !!!

- Broadview Hts, OH, USA

Jun 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The message on my dashboard screen says "service blind spot monitoring system" and "blind spot monitoring system unavailable". the message system for the failure continues to ding intermittently while I am driving, which is very annoying. I took the van to my dealer. The estimate to replace the rear facia harness and the body side of the connector C200 to see if power, ground and can-C are present at the blind spot senors is a minimum of $450 (parts and labor). This may not fix the problem. Complete replacement of the system could run well over $1000 and possibly up to $3,000. My van sits in a heated garage 7 months a year while we go South. It is always maintained, and it is washed weekly for the 5 months we use it. This is a defective part! the backorder is over 2 months so I know this is a problem for many people. So I will have to drive it without benefit of the warning system, which I rely on to know there is a vehicle in my blind spot. I experienced a backorder on my 2007 van for a rear air conditioner, which I was without for an entire hot summer! eventually Chrysler issued a recall and paid for the part/labor, but that took a couple of years. This is very annoying and Chrysler should get on top of the problem and get the needed parts into production! ridiculous way to treat customers. I also purchased an extended warranty from cna when I bought the 2011 van. Cna initially told me they would cover the blind spot monitoring system. When the dealer reported that is was "corrosion", cna refused to honor the warranty. Another $1200 spent on a worthless warranty!!

- Rochester, MN, USA

May 022014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Blind spot monitor sensor and backup detector failure. Important safety equipment. Updated 06/10/14

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Mar 192014

Town & Country 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the blind spot detector system displayed a non-functional warning message on the message center and the system stopped working. The failure also caused the rear camera park assist to stop working. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician stated that the sensor or wiring harness might need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage 48,000. The current mileage was 50,100. Updated 08/11/14 the consumer stated the vehicle has been repaired under goodwill warranty claim approved by Chrysler. Updated 08/12/2014

- Washington, MI, USA

May 212014

Town & Country 6-cyl

We purchased this van in 2013 from a dealer. Several months after the purchase the blind side detector intermittently stopped working and the dash alarm indicated that it needed service. Since we did not consider this a safety issue and the great expense to repair the detector, we waited to have it serviced until the time of inspection. After a few more months the system stopped working completely and the backup camera system also stopped working. On May 21, 2014 we took the van to a reputable mechanic and after many labor intensive hours, he removed the defective module from the vehicle's rear wheel well. Almost simultaneously, the connecting plug and wiring began smoking and had to be removed and replaced to prevent fire. The mechanic showed us the corroded module. The position of the module in the wheel well had naturally made it susceptible to excessive exposure to water, snow and salt from tire back splash causing the corrosion. Several times we had smelled something burning, but the odor never lasted long enough to get the car to a mechanic to find the source. We replaced the tires and the brakes, but the smell still occasionally continued. Now we know the source. We spent $1500 to replace the necessary parts in our car and we would like to be reimbursed. This defect could have caused a fire resulting in damage to the van and possible personal injury to any passengers. Since there is a second module on the left side of the vehicle, we are concerned that the same problem will occur to that module and/or both within the near future.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

May 052014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Blind spot detectors came on and would not shut off. Took to dealer, not under warranty. Would cost low end of $1200 to repair. I told them not to fix, still charged me $90 to shut the detectors off. Dealership stated that they have seen around 25 vehicles with this same problem. This is a safety issue. Use to having this feature.

- Ashland, WI, USA

Apr 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Warning message appeared on dash for blind spot monitor sensor failure with annoying chime repeatedly sounding. Dealer said that both sensors are faulty and would be $2,615 to replace. Since that's a ridiculous amount to pay for a feature that cost less new for the option, just had the warning disabled. Unfortunately, now the backup detector also doesn't work as a result. I can't believe this part can't be made more reliable for a fraction of the quoted price, and it's especially unacceptable for safety equipment.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 312013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Blind spot monitoring system has failed three times. On all three occasions the failure is the result of water infiltration into the sensor which begins to cause occasional false positives which increase in frequency, ultimately resulting in the complete failure of the sensor. By inspecting the sensors, it appears that moisture inside the sensor freezes and expands causing the sensor's two parts to separate slightly. Road sand and salt enter the sensor through this gap and corrode it.

- Pembina, ND, USA

Feb 042014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country van. The contact stated that the blind spot detector would remain activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that both blind spot sensors needed to be replaced. No repairs were performed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000 and the current mileage was 45,000.

- Amery, WI, USA

Mar 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The blind spot detection system suddenly stopped working on our van. We took it into our dealer to diagnose the problem and to get an estimate. We were told that the part alone for the faulty one on the passenger side would be $1000, and it would take two months to get the part. This is a newer van with relatively low mileage, so we are very disappointed that this system has already failed. Since it is being promoted as a safety feature and other owners are experiencing similar problems, we feel that perhaps a recall is in order.

- West Union, IA, USA

Mar 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Premature failure of important safety equipment - rear blind spot sensors. Diagnosed with internal failure and cost of repairs was verbally estimated by dealer at close to $3,000. Safety equipment like this, one of the reasons this vehicle was purchased by an elderly couple, should not fail this early and at this expense.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jan 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle started remotely in my attached, closed garage. Apparently the remote key system was activated by some other object in my pocket, possibly my cell phone. I heard the car horn blow briefly, and the car start because I was in a room adjoining the garage. I immediately went into the garage and shut the engine off. This is the second time I experienced an unintentional engine start. The first time I was in the garage. I feel the remote should require 2 simultaneous button pushes to eliminate this problem. I'm glad I wasn't changing an engine belt when the engine started!

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Feb 162012

Town & Country

TL-the contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated while driving 20 mph, a peassenger informed informed her that she forgot to close the rear sliding door. The contact stated that there was not alert that told her that the door was open while driving. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 19,000.

- Troy , CA, USA

Jun 282013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong burning plastic odor as smoke emitted from the driver's side door while driving. The contact was able to disconnect the electrical wires from the driver's side door panel to avoid a fire. The contact also replaced the main electrical wire harness and switch. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 36,000.

- Lakeland , FL, USA

Oct 082012

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was cleaning my windshield on the van when the engine suddenly started (within the closed garage). Apparently the automatic-start function was triggered when the key-fob remote in my pants pocket was inadvertently activated when I leaned against the car. This is very scary! if I had been leaning against something inside the house, would my car have been running all night in a closed garage attached to my house?. I have often accidentally triggered other functions (such as door opening, door lock, etc.) when working around the house, but automatically starting the engine is especially troubling! I believe there should be a separate interlock safety button located on the side of the remote key fob so an accidental engine start would be much less likely.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Jun 272012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Traveling South at speed of 55 to 60mph horn started blowing windshield wipers come on and windshield washers come on I try to shut washer and wipers off with switch that did not stop them from working next all the little warning lights were on I look at the RPM gauge and it said 0 the engine had stop running I coasted to where the shoulder was wide to get car off the highway I next tried to start engine it would not start next thing I am handicapped and drive car with hand controls in my motorize wheelchair as I cannot walk so next I undid the seatbelt and unlock my wheelchair and my caretaker had gotten out of car as I back wheelchair to get out of car I notice black smoke coming out from under the hood I ask caretaker to open back door to deploy ramp so I could get out of car the back doors would not open manual or with the key remote I turn around and fell out driver door to ground & five people carry me away from flaming car. I had issue with windshield wipers before took to Dodge dealer they said I had computer glitch. I do believe there was issues with this car when I purchase it new with only 10 miles on it. It burned fast and quick. I'm unable to put in date on this form it was 6/27/2012 9:30to9:35 a.M.

- Bedford, IA, USA

Jul 062011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Electronic vehicle information center (evic) displays incorrect mpg, about 10-11% higher than actual mpg when filling tank and computing by calculator. Says 27 mpg, when only 24 mpg is measured when pumping gas. Evic also randomly resets it self to 18 mpg when engine is turned off. Tsb 08-012-12 is reported to correct this condition.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Jun 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. The contact was driving 65 mph when the instrument panel, electrical sliding doors and the power windows failed. The contact stated that every light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis where they informed the contact that the failure could have been caused by the radio. The manufacturer was notified and wanted the vehicle to be brought in to an authorized dealer for further inspection. The failure mileage was 6,593. Updated 08/01/12 the dealer informed the consumer the problem was with the sirius satellite radio.

- Wooddale, IL, USA