2012 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler Town & Country:

2012 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Oct 072016

Town & Country

We purchased this vehicle at carmax in calfornia, right before christmas of 2014 we had the brakes replaced and rotors. 2015 of August we had to have the front brakes replaced. Not it is 2016 October and my front brakes (right side mostly) is squeaking again. We own a Chrysler 300 srt8 and a Tahoe, my Tahoe of which I had since 2005, has only had 2 brake replacements. I feel there is some other issue with this vehicle and no one is looking into it. There is something defective. And I think it is very dangerous. On top of that my airbag lights continuously go off and on and currently has stayed on, and will not turn off.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 022016

Town & Country

Alternator went out at 86K. Known issue with exact same part # on other Chrysler products have been recalled. Van is in the shop now getting a $480 replacement installed plus 1.2 hours of labor for a part that if on another vehicle would be covered under an existing recall.

- North Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Jun 012015

Town & Country

I got into a car accident hit from side my car sustained over 5,000 of damage my children and I were in the car at the time the airbags did not deploy. I reported this to Chrysler they just advised me to go to dealer to have airbags checked. Never offered to do any further inquiry. Currently, my van starts at times and at others does not my new battery which was costly continues to be drained I called Chrysler they said it would cost 145. Just to diagnose the problem I don't have that kind of money available to check the car I said to the service dept. "you know these vans are experiencing these problems yet you still charge me so much to have a known problem checked"" they said yes do you want to make an apt." Of course I did not.

- El Monte, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Town & Country

While traveling in the midwest, cleveland, Ohio, my check engine light came on while driving. I tried waiting a couple of gas tanks to see if it would turn off automatically. It did not. I was scheduled to leave cleveland, Ohio and drive back to mobile, Alabama with my grandson and daughter the weekend of Dec. 10, 2015, I felt it was prudent to have the van looked at for the check engine light problem. I took the van into Washington and lee service on Dec. 8, 2015. They diagnosed the problem as a fouled ignition coil, and replaced the coil, all the spark plugs and a gasket. I retrieved my car on Dec. 10, 2015 in the early afternoon. That same evening, the check engine light came back on, so I returned the van to them. I received a call midafternoon that I needed to take the car to a dealer for service, which is when I found out about the service bulletin regarding the engine. I dropped the car off at deacon's Chrysler Jeep in cleveland, Ohio on December 10, 2015 and picked it up on December 14, 2015 at approx. 6 pm. This necessitated finding a hotel room for the duration. In addition, I needed to secure transportation. I picked up the car too late to leave that day and had to stay until the morning of Dec. 15, 2015. Upon returning to mobile, Alabama, the van began T shudder and shake when braking. This has happened before and our mechanic performed the repairs. My husband decided to check on the NHTSA site to see if there were any other defects in the van that consumers were not notified of. We took the van to the autonation Chrysler Dodge, where we originally purchased the vehicle. The dealer determined that the repair did not fall under the service bulletin. I dispute that, the service bulletin specifically states that the front rotor and pads are part of the problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 112015

Town & Country

Premature wear of brake's rotors and calipers along with pads both back and front at 65,571 mi. ( $859.95) and 67,283 mi. ( $902.16) respectively. Pads maybe; but not the rotors and calipers with mostly non braking highway miles traveling between Maine & Florida.

- Englewood, FL, USA

Oct 072015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town and country. While the vehicle was parked, the push to start button was depressed and the vehicle was shifted into reverse. Suddenly, the vehicle stalled and rolled backwards. The contact activated the emergency brake and shut off the vehicle. The vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure occurred intermittently. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Ocean Side, CA, USA

Jun 022015

Town & Country

Grinding coming from rear wheels. Attempted to remove wheel on passenger side 1 lug nut broke. Dealership claimed to attempted to remove by drilling it out, but claimed couldn't because heat had been applied. I never took it anywhere nor applied heat. Took it some where to have taken off. Turns out I had to replaced rear brake pads and rotors. Funny how theres a hub issue on some Town and country but not mine. They didn't think the lug nut was a defect. I've never seen one break where the cover of the lug not tears off. Then the sides of the lug break off leaving the base of the lug. After driving the van prior to replacement of parts you could feel the heat coming off of the wheels. Possibly, could that have been the heat that caused the lug not to be able to have been drilled out like the dealership attempted. After several searches of the internet I have seen that I am not the only one unhappy with all of the other issues with this Chrysler product or the dealerships selling them.

- Hinckley, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that a loud noise emitted from the rear of the vehicle. Also, the contact mentioned that the rear driver's side brakes were wearing prematurely. The vehicle was not inspected or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Oct 102014

Town & Country 6-cyl

At only 20087 miles had to have rear brake pads replaced and rotors turned poor quality materials must have been used to require this service at this low mileage have had several other vehicles over the years and those brakes lasted atleast 40000 miles.

- Barberton, OH, USA

Aug 172013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Rear brakes have been replaced multiple times. 5 sets of pads, new caliper at 35000 miles and new rotors. Even after replacing everything but one rear caliper it still sticks and has a burning smell with all new parts on driver side. Brakes on this van are absolute garbage and Chrysler needs a recall on these brakes and parts.

- Darien Center, NY, USA

Sep 262013

Town & Country

When I start the car it will run fine and then the ignition switch will turn off leaving me with steering and braking power dead. Sometimes I will try to start the car and it will not start and the starter will just keep going so the only way I can get the starter to stop is to put it in drive. This has happened several times and fortunately I was driving at low speed or stopped. Had it happened at higher speeds or on the freeway, it could have resulted in a deadly crash. I took it into the dealer and they said it was a defective ignition switch and replaced the switch. So far the problem has not recurred. My complaint is also that I have asked the dealer and Chrysler motors for reimbursement, $450 and so far they have refused because it was not an item on their recall list and I was out of warranty on mileage. I know that Chrysler has known about defective ignition switches for several years so why have they not notified owners. This is a very dangerous problem, like GM had.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

This car was a new purchase, and already had 5000 miles on it. ( it was a demo car at dealership). After 17K miles ( 22K total), brakes started smelling of burning parts. When I had to stop at an intersection, car simply would not stop. Thankfully, there was no accident or injuries. Chrysler mentions that this was due to driving habit, and will not take any responsibility. I have been driving for 18 years in total, and never had this issue in any of my other cars.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Dec 162013

Town & Country

The brake lights on the drivers side failed. These lights are led lights and meant to last the life of the vehicle. They cannot be changed like a standard brake light. This is a safety hazard when stopping or driving at night.

- Pierceton, IN, USA