3.0

2012 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler Town & Country:

2012 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Nov 182015

Town & Country

Faulty tipm identified after several years of problems. Most serious problem occurred when the vehicle stalled on the freeway during rush hour traffic. Vehicle speed dropped immediately, with no warning, from 70 mph to 25 mph. Vehicle would not shift, and speed would not increase. Power steering went out, and it was very difficult to maneuver the vehicle across four lanes of heavy traffic (with my children inside) and coast to a safe location where a tow truck was called, and vehicle was taken to dealership for repair. This was the most serious of several problems- all of which appear to point to a faulty tipm. Other problems include faulty turn signals, windows that will not open, rear fan that turns on and off by itself, difficulty shifting, difficulty starting, and drained batteries. Repairs and replacements include solenoid pack replacement, transmission overhaul, battery replacement, power module replacement, blower motor replacement- finally leading to tipm replacement.

- Syracuse, UT, USA

Jul 052016

Town & Country

While driving down the interstate at approximately 70mph my van completely lost power and the engine shut off. This created an extremely dangerous situation to me and my family. If I had not have been in the lane closest to the shoulder the end results would not have been in our favor. I believe that it may be the egnition switch or something electrical related.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jun 242016

Town & Country

While driving appx 60mph on the highway the vehicle lost all power, lights, steering and engine shut off. It was appx 1030 at night with no street lights around and my husband thankfully was able to maintain control and his composure in order to coast the vehicle off onto the side of the road. We could not see where we were going as it was pitch dark outside and he was able to feel the gravel under the tires and prayed that he was successfully off the roadway enough to prevent being hit by oncoming traffic. We had our 6 month old baby girl secured in her car seat in the second row captain seat and I tried to get her sliding door open in order to get her out of the vehicle and out of harms way since we were barely pulled off the roadway, but the sliding door would not even open. I had to crawl into the back of the van and remove her through the passenger side front door. The dash lights would blink intermittently but we were not even able to get the hazard lights on. We made multiple attempts to turn the car on, pressing every button on the key fab to try to get the vehicle working again. No luck. Thankfully the sheriff's office arrived and they provided proper lights and flares to alert other drivers of the disabled vehicle. Once the tow truck arrived we disconnected the battery which stopped the sporadic blinking of the dash lights and then reconnected the battery appx 5 seconds later and the vehicle started up no problems. We were able to drive the van home with the sheriff's following us for safety. Overall, this experience with the vehicle loosing all power while driving down the road was terrifying. Thankfully we were on a fairly straight stretch of highway where the shoulder was wide enough to accommodate a vehicle. Had this occurred on a narrow backroad or even a curvy or hilly or busy interstate or highway a more dismal outcome would have occurred

- Marshall, VA, USA

Dec 082015

Town & Country

While traveling in the midwest, cleveland, Ohio, my check engine light came on while driving. I tried waiting a couple of gas tanks to see if it would turn off automatically. It did not. I was scheduled to leave cleveland, Ohio and drive back to mobile, Alabama with my grandson and daughter the weekend of Dec. 10, 2015, I felt it was prudent to have the van looked at for the check engine light problem. I took the van into Washington and lee service on Dec. 8, 2015. They diagnosed the problem as a fouled ignition coil, and replaced the coil, all the spark plugs and a gasket. I retrieved my car on Dec. 10, 2015 in the early afternoon. That same evening, the check engine light came back on, so I returned the van to them. I received a call midafternoon that I needed to take the car to a dealer for service, which is when I found out about the service bulletin regarding the engine. I dropped the car off at deacon's Chrysler Jeep in cleveland, Ohio on December 10, 2015 and picked it up on December 14, 2015 at approx. 6 pm. This necessitated finding a hotel room for the duration. In addition, I needed to secure transportation. I picked up the car too late to leave that day and had to stay until the morning of Dec. 15, 2015. Upon returning to mobile, Alabama, the van began T shudder and shake when braking. This has happened before and our mechanic performed the repairs. My husband decided to check on the NHTSA site to see if there were any other defects in the van that consumers were not notified of. We took the van to the autonation Chrysler Dodge, where we originally purchased the vehicle. The dealer determined that the repair did not fall under the service bulletin. I dispute that, the service bulletin specifically states that the front rotor and pads are part of the problem.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Apr 282016

Town & Country

While driving vehicle began to act strangely. Windshield wipers running, headlights turned off, vehicle came out of gear, then stalled. Total loss of power while driving down highway with children in vehicle. No lights, no flashers. Instrument panel began to blink. Only way to recover was to pull battery cable and reset computer. Multiple relays inside tipm module chattering while having issue.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jan 122016

Town & Country

Engine and engine cooling recall engine light is on connecting rod failure which can lead to engine lock or crashing

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Sep 122015

Town & Country

Our 2012 Chrysler Town and country won't start. The dealer said it is a tipm malfunction and fuel pump malfunction. They want to replace them both. They refuse to help us with the repair cost. We are stranded in cancun, Mexico.

- Albany, OR, USA

Mar 252015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Engine dies right after starting, some times 2 or 3 consecutive times. Some times when engine starts, sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. Also at times the wipers come by them selves, even when it's not raining!

- Battle Lake, MN, USA

Jan 062015

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving, car shuts off, has happened 4 times while driving. Had it diagnosed and was told it was a faulty cam/crankshaft sensors.

- Waterford, CT, USA

May 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

-stalling when you try to start. I push the button and it stalls. When I get to my destination, it switches from off to accy. The stalling issue continues to get worse. Now, it acts as if it is trying to start the engine and nothing connects. This morning, it took approximately 10 tries to get it to turn over. This was after I had driven it a couple of miles. Then, when I arrived at work, it went into the accy mode again as I was opening the door to exit the vehicle. The dealer hooked it to their computer months ago. But, I guess if there is not code, the problem doesn't exist"??" the last time they suggested it was related to a transmission issue that they addressed.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Mar 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

A month after buying the van, it started cutting off while driving causing it to be almost impossible to steer. Luckily I was where I could pull over every time.it was taken to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. Another time it did it my husband took it back for a recall part but they told us that part had nothing to do with it cutting off. The most serious time occurred on 4/29/14 during rush hour 5:00 pm)getting on I85 in gastonia, nc merging onto I85 and the van cut off. I couldn't have been going over 25 miles and everything shut down. I was lucky to get it in the emergency lane. I have never been so scared in all my life. I had my daughter/granddaughter screaming/crying. No way any of us would have survived if I had made it to the inner lane.this time a new light came on the dash.told it was a throttle light, many attempts to start the van, it didn't start. I called lake norman (bought there)and was told there's a place in gastonia. I called and explained what happened and asked for a tow truck.the van was towed to gastonia Chrysler. The service tech tried to start it with no luck. He said was better then it starting and resetting everything. He called the next day and everything was reading right on his machines. He told me he was going to drop the gas tank and take the fuel pump out. When he ran it this time the fuel pump had no fuel pressure. He also said there was no gas, in which I had a little over a quarter of a tank on the fuel gauge. He said fuel pump was defective. Replaced it at $777.92. It is Sept and starting it again the jerking like the engine and transmission is gonna fall out. This van engines were recalled for debris in engine thruoct 2011. My engine was built in Nov. Engine needs replaced. Now my stereo turns off and fuses are good.please help, I see other recalls on Chrysler with similar problems.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Sep 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

This incident has happened about 10 times now, so I thought I should report it. I will start my vehicle by tapping the brake and pressing the engine button. The car ignition turns on as normal. I proceed to put the vehicle in reverse to get out of the parking space and the engine has died without my knowledge. My steering wheel cannot turn at all, the gas pedal does nothing, the car is dead at this point. I have to slam on the brake to not slide into traffic or the car parked behind me. I put the car in park and "turn off" the engine and restart it. This has happened several times, but it only occurs when I'm starting up the vehicle, not when I'm already going: It has never "died" or "turned off" while I was driving it. This just started happening in the last few weeks and it has happened regularly and it is scary when it happens, so I thought I should report it.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 152014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle check engine light turn on every so often. The code read P0302- misfired #2 cylinder. The lights turns on and after several days it turn off again. A few miles or days later it check engine light turn on again. Been to independent mechanic and have try several correction but no luck. The van runs decent but it has a lost some power as it take awhile to speed on highways.

- Oakland Gardens , MT, USA

Jun 022014

Town & Country

2012 Chrysler Town & Country. Consumer writes in regards to cylinder head problems and unsatisfactory customer service at manufacturer headquarters. The consumer stated while driving, the engine light illuminated. The problem was determined to be the left side cylinder head, which was leaking, and had to be replaced.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Town & Country 6-cyl

1 week after I bought my van the car started vibrating when the vehicle was stopped (waiting at the light). I went to the dealer to ask them if there was a recall for this problem they first say that there was no problem and then I read that there was a recall for some vehicles having debris on the engines, so they replaced half of the heads in the engine. The vehicle stopped vibrating, but then I notice that when speeding or slowing down the vehicle does not responds to the change in gears or isn?T accelerating like it should. Also while coming to a stop the transmission would not downshift causing the car to lunge forward. It would vibrate when coming to stop.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Apr 022014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. Upon restarting, the traction control light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the technician was unable to diagnose a failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000 and the current mileage was 64,300.

- Ewing, KY, USA

Mar 132014

Town & Country

As I was driving down the highway at approximately 70mph, my vehicle lost all power. It was so abrupt that it felt as if I had been rear ended. I had no power steering, and all electrical components of my van shut off. I attempted to steer towards the shoulder, and my van regained power. The dash lights flashed twice and then I had full power. The van then again had all lights shut off and it shut off. This second occurrence was quicker than the first, and the power flashed back on after a few seconds. I exited with the van off the highway and had it towed. The dealership drove the vehicle, but was unable to replicate the problem so they could not repair it. They do not know why it happened or if/when it will happen again, but they are unwilling to purchase the car back from me.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jan 272014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that while approaching a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated that the PCM needed to be re flashed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 24,900 and the current mileage was 25,072.

- Hockessin, DE, USA