2008 Dodge Avenger brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Oct 012015

Brake lights out due to wiring problem per mechanic. Brakes lock up and skid. Dash lights flicker and dim while driving. Turning signals not working and all fuses replaced. All problems while vehicle moving or stationary.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Jul 152015

I was unable to start my car as the key would not turn in the ignition, and I could not release the break or turn my wheel. I tried for 25 minutes. I rocked the car while it was in park and the back and forward and then the key turn and I was able to drive.

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Apr 242015

I went to put my car in park and when I took my foot off the brake the car continued forward. I looked to see if I didn't put the car in park fully and the gear shift is in park however, the gear indicator says the car is still in drive.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Sep 022013

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 35 mph, the engine stalled, the steering seized, and the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle drove up a hill and flipped over. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Neon, KY, USA

Nov 032008

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle accelerated independently to 100 mph. When the brakes were engaged, the vehicle speed would only decrease to 60 mph. Also, the contact turned off the vehicle but it continued to accelerate. The contact had to crash into in a ditch in order to stop the vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact experienced the failure on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Dec 172013

Was driving down the highway and noticed a delayed response when pushing down on the accelerator, moments later I was unable to accelerator and the car's electronic throttle control light appeared, the car was unable to go more then 15mph. Took the car to a service station where they ran a diagnostic test and no defaults were found.

- Roeland Park, KS, USA

Mar 282008

Avenger 4-cyl

I have had nothing but problems with my car. When I first purchased it 2 months later my shifter got stuck I was stranded at work. After that I have had various problems from the alternator, battery, and compressor going out various times and it is not even over 100,000 miles. I looked up there were recalls on the car back in 07 and 08. The dealership says that they fixed it but I feel like it was not fixed and I had the shifter problem right when I purchased that is the only thing they said they can fix.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 122011

Avenger 4-cyl

We bought this car used a year ago. Soon after the ac compressor went out. We had it repaired. Then the brakes went out. Had them fixed, but they still grind and are not right. Had the rotars looked at and fixed, but still not good. Then the ac blew again, had it repaired again. Then we heard a loud noise when car idling that sounds like a scream. Then the ac blew again and now their is a grinding noise in engine and it sounds like a lawn mower. We are very unhappy and wrote to Dodge.oh wait this is all following the shifter breaking (pin issue) and having to ask Dodge to make this a recall which they did.

- Surprise, AZ, USA