2008 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

May 152012

While pulling out from a stoplight and accelerating up a grade, my 2008 Dodge Avenger made a loud popping noise and began to sputter and lose power. The car would not go over 10 mph and a lighting bolt symbol appeared on my dash display. I drifted the car to the side of the road and could not move. After letting it sit and turning the car off and on, the lighting bolt image on my dash disappeared and the car could be driven. Since then, the car sporadically stutters for no apparent reason and I then pull off the gas fearing a repeat of the above incident.

- Nesquehoning, PA, USA

May 162012

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the voltage indicator began to illuminate and the engine would not accelerate. The contact was able to maneuver the vehicle into a turning lane with less traffic. The vehicle was then towed to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle and informed the contact that they were unable to find a failure. The vehicle was taken to a personal mechanic and the alternator was replaced. Two weeks later, the failure recurred and the contact remained on the side of the highway for three hours, at which time she was able to successfully start the vehicle. A week later, the failure recurred again. In each instance the vehicle would start and have power, but would not accelerate. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 91,631 and the current mileage was 93,046.

- Garland, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Car stalls on highway around 50 mph will not speed up. Needs to be pulled over to regain speed. Large semi truck had to brake to avoid hitting vehicle on highway. Changed many parts and now will not go over 50 and shift out of second. Spent about $300 on parts alone and friends shop help with problems. Still not fixed. May need to park it before my family dies in it.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift gears properly and could not be accelerated over 35 mph. In addition, the check engine warning light was extinguished. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was told that the computer to the transmission was not operating properly and was keeping the vehicle from coming out of second gear. The failure and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Makina, NC, USA

Jan 292012

Driving on the freeway and my 2008 Dodge Avenger suddenly loses power and begins to idle and run rough. The red electric bolt sign came on and was flashing. Car continued to run funny not having normal power and unable to accelerate. When I turned the car off and then back on it reset. ?

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Jan 202012

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate beyond 50 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop and they were in the process of diagnosing the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 54,500.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 192011

Avenger 4-cyl

We were driving on the highway about 65 mph when our electric throttle control indicator light along with our engine light came on. When this happened we did not have a speedometer or RPM gauge. All of the lights that are related to the shifter (park, neutral, drive) also all lit up. The car did continue to drive but had less power. We pulled over and turned the car off. We tried to start it again but it would not start at first. The power locks and truck release would not work either. After about 5 minutes we tried it again and everything worked. The check engine light did stay on but the car drove fine. The engine light is still currently on.

- Temple, TX, USA

Aug 042011

Avenger 4-cyl

Interlock spring broke and locked my vehicle into the park position.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Aug 122011

I drove my car to work and left it there for about 6 hours. I started the car as usual and it would not shift into any gear. After countless hours of trying to troubleshoot, I had to have it towed to the dealer. I went online and noticed there were hundreds of other consumers that had the same issue, but Dodge has not recalled the issue. The problem with the car was the gear shifter, which broke.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Jul 182011

Avenger 4-cyl

The shifter stuck in park, and I had to have the car towed in order to have it fixed.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 212011

Avenger 6-cyl

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT with the 2.7 liter engine with approximately 57,000 miles. The electronic throttle control light comes on (it is a lightening bolt shaped indicator light). This is a common problem on these vehicles from what I am searching on the internet and forums of other owners.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Jan 122011

I was at the store earlier today when I came out the gear shift on my 2008 Dodge Avenger was stuck in park I tried everything to get it unstuck so I decided to come home and google the problem I found thousands of posts with the problem it seems to me its the manufactures fault and I think it should be investigated for so many people to have the same problem around the same time.

- Portland, TX, USA

Sep 182010

Stick shifter stuck in park. Can not engage at all. Dodge is not acknowledging the problem with the consumer. Not fair to the buyer it is not covered in warranty.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Sep 142010

2008 Dodge Avenger will not shift out of park.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Jul 222010

2008 Dodge Avenger: Gear shift will not allow gear to move out of park. Obviously a manufacturer defect. Dodge has not recalled to fix the part. The cost of repair exceeds $400. I have removed gear shift plate and have to manually move a plastic part to shift gears. This is obviously dangerous. Dodge is aware of the problem yet has not recalled in order to fix the defect - they are making the customer fix a mechanical problem at the customer's cost.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 122010

Sept. 12,2010- I got in my car to run errands and my car would not get out of park. I own a 2008 Dodge Avenger, never had any problems with the gear shift till today.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

May 272010

Our 2008 Dodge Avenger suddenly would not shift out of park. It has 52,000 miles on it. Defect was found to the brake interlock cable. Dodge advised that it was not covered under any recall. Internet search reveals that many Avengers are having this problem. I believe it is a manufacturing problem related to the interlock system, and is a safety related defect.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Sep 062010

I own a 2008 Dodge Avenger, bought it brand new a couple years ago. I go get in my car today to get my son's prescriptions and pick up my kids when I find my gear shift locked in 'park'. now I will have to pay for a tow plus repairs for something that should have been a recall!!! bad business Dodge!!! I will never own another Dodge.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Sep 032010

This was a sudden failure. My family and I enjoy a great day at a theme park, we head back to the parking garage to head home. We get in our four door 2008 Dodge Avenger and it will not shift out of park. The vehicle turns on great, I check the emergency brake, I turn on the car, turn off the car and the shifter will not budge out of park. I call a towing service and he said this happens with a lot of Dodge Avengers and sebrings. He had to pull the trim off where the shifter is located and push this pink release down and the shifter moved freely. I contacted a Dodge dealership and they said it will cost me $200 which is ridiculous! I went online no recall, but I found thousands of other people who are having the same issue. This issue needs to be addressed to Chrysler and get a damn recall on these vehicles. Thank you.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Sep 022008

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger and my car cannot change gears I cannot get it out of park therefore my car is non operational.

- New Orleans, LA, USA