2008 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 142016

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving various speeds, the vehicle suddenly failed to accelerate and the electronic throttle control sensor illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 178,000.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Oct 072015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power train control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to part unavailability. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the part was on back order. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 052016

Avenger

Powertrain control module for Dodge Avenger on backorder due to faulty system - part not available from Chrysler dealerships because of huge influx of requests for this part - requesting that this be considered as a recall situation

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 032016

Avenger

Got home, put car in park & let go of the brake. Noticed I was rolling backwards so I quickly pushed on the brake. Looked on my dash & it indicated the car was in reverse, so I pushed on the gear shifter to make sure it was pushed all the way up, which it was. I then turned the car off & tried to turn it back on. The car then wouldn't start 7 the gears would not change. Looked online, seen there was a common issue with the pink plastic piece connected to the gear. Pushed the pink plastic piece in & it allowed me to switch gears when it was held in but I am still unable to crank my car & even when the gears are switched the dashboard says the car is still in reverse. Looked up recalls & sure enough there is a recall but of course when I entered my car information it doesn't apply to my car. I also have replaced the alternator 4 times in 3 years. I was told that it is a poor design that causes the alternator to wear down & lock up so quickly. I will ever buy another chrystler Dodge vehicle in my life. This car has by far been the worst investment of my life. I really hope something happens to get these cars off of the road forever before they end up killing someone due to the highly poor design of everything in them!

- Savanna, GA, USA

Jun 142016

Avenger

I parked my car in the garage, the shifter was clearly in park, then I got out of my car and went into the house to make dinner, and my wifes doctors office called with a subscription, I hit the garage door opener and it would not open, and it started flashing, the car rolled into it on its own, I got into the car and tried to start it with the gear-shift in park and it would not, looked in the heads-up display and it showed it was in neutral and the car was rolling freely. If this would have happened in a public parking lot this situation could have been very serious.

- Allen, TX, USA

Mar 212016

Avenger

I started the car to leave work, check engine light came on. As I was driving I lost the ability to accelerate above 40mph. While driving 30mph the RPM were at 4,000. I took the car to my mechanic. Map sensor was replace and also transmission selinoid. Check engine light was still on, they went through all trouble shooting. PCM needs to be replaced. According to Dodge dealership the part is on back order with no eta on shipping. Was also told there are over 200 orders waiting to be filled, people are waiting 4 months to receive the part. My car has been in the shop now for almost 3 weeks. The dealership my mechanic called didn't inform them of the back order, we were told by another dealership when trying to find the part elsewhere.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jul 282015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. In addition, the cruise control failed to function. The electronic throttle control (etc) and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the power train control module (PCM) needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Oneonta, NY, USA

Jan 282016

Avenger

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 cylinder. My starter has been replacing four times in less than forty day time frame, yes that is what I said. The car cut off on me while driving without any warning while I was on the interstate. I have now paid around 1,440. So far now. This is a major safety issue whether or not my VIN number fits the bill, it has happened and has grossly endangered my family to include grandchild and myself not to mention increase the risk of multiple crash. The following are information I have found reason for stalled engines of 2008 doge Avengers. All work done at Dodge service dept. I have receipts from dealership with my complaints about engine stall issues. Please help me. Sincere, thanks major safety issue: Resulting in an engine stall or engine failure. The engine stalls while driving it may increase the risk of a crash. Chrysler dealers should replace the tipm module, free of charge. Flash the totally integrated power module (tipm) or replace the occupant restraint control module, as needed, free of charge. September 2008 -- Chrysler is recalling 712 my 2009 sebring, Dodge caliber, Avenger, journey, Jeep patriot, and compass vehicles. A new adhesive used in the power train control module (PCM) manufacturing process can cause the printed circuit board to break. This can cause the engine to stall and cause a crash without warning. Dealers will replace the PCM free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during November 2008.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Feb 022016

Avenger

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 cylinder. My starter has been replacing four times in less than forty day time frame, yes that is what I said. The car cut off on me while driving without any warning while I was on the interstate, fortunate for me and another account grandchild didn't get killed. Dodge-land of columbia, SC miss diagnosed and endangered me and on one account my then three year old grand baby, now four as of Feb 2nd. I voiced my concerns asked if they checked wiring or see if something electrical; I said it doesn't make since, something is shorting or causing the starter to burn out, did you'll check. Dodge-land said it's fixed now you don't have to worry, getting me to entrusted in what they say and believe, I did. Bill reassured me it was fixed said we checked it, it's not wiring, or nothing else, it's not electrical, pmc it's your starter, we checked it everything. Bill (service tech) said it was your starter, you don't have to worry we fixed it. ( fourth time now) fourth time Dodge-land said contacted Chrysler and was told they have a problem with that model computer component, module, I will have to pay a little over $800. To have it replaced Chrysler will not replace it for free. (safety recall) I am outraged and amazed, because that is an outright safety recall or should be. Please help me with my problem. I have papers from dpdge-land, it has all my personal information on them.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Nov 232015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle lost power and would not accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but stated that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jul 232015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact was unable to shift the gear into reverse. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver shifter assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 09/21/15

- Passaic , NJ, USA

Jul 072015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle came to abrupt stop. The vehicle would not go into gear. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that a bolt to the converter emitted and traveled to the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Mar 162012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the driver side window made a abnormal noise. The contact mentioned that the window fractured within the driver side door. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who repaired the vehicle, but the parts repaired or replaced were unknown. Two years after the initial repair, the failure recurred and the driver side window fractured into the door paneling. In addition, the vehicle was difficult to shift from park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Trail, OR, USA

Apr 242015

Avenger

I went to put my car in park and when I took my foot off the brake the car continued forward. I looked to see if I didn't put the car in park fully and the gear shift is in park however, the gear indicator says the car is still in drive.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Dec 152012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the brake pedal was depressed. The electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available.

- Cole Springs, KY, USA

Feb 012010

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving various speeds, the vehicle hesitated and failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. Upon starting the vehicle, all the gear shifter indicators had squares around them and the transmission had difficulty shifting into the correct gear. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 232014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the transmission shifted into reverse independently and failed to shift back in drive. The shift control cable failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake light switch failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle's speed decreased to 10 mph and the power indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact turned off the vehicle for 10 minutes, but the vehicle would not restart. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who stated that the electric throttle needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Apr 212014

Avenger

Intermittent loss of power on acceleration and under load. Suspected throttle body issues with throttle positioner code showing up.

- Fayetteville, WV, USA

Nov 072008

Avenger

Car running sluggish no power, taken to dealer nothing wrong, clicking in engine compartment when air conditioner on, dealer, nothing wrong, transmission pulling. Soon after electrical, loud popping noise coming from passenger side everytime the air conditioner/heater turned on then off, defroster out on passenger side, and rear window, not working at all, air bag light turns on wont turn off, have to move front seat back then forward till light turns off, so irritated and disappointed expected better from Dodge, american made?? wow lost for words. Car is falling apart, I need my heater and defroster someone please help.

- Ontario, CA, USA