2008 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 242015

Avenger

I went to put my car in park and when I took my foot off the brake the car continued forward. I looked to see if I didn't put the car in park fully and the gear shift is in park however, the gear indicator says the car is still in drive.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Mar 092015

Avenger 4-cyl

I own a 08 Dodge Avenger and had problems with the electronic throttle control system a year ago, I now have problems with a noise under the hood, I've been told it's the pulley to the alternator. I bought my car brand new..if I knew I was going to have this much trouble I would of bought a foreign car. Also my sensor in my tire broke, took my car where I bought the tires, they replaced one sensor for free..I don't know if the other 3 will later break. I would like to get the other 3 replaced for free.

- Bowie, AZ, USA

Feb 282015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted, but the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the vehicle needed an oil change and a tune up. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Kearny , NJ, USA

Mar 012011

Avenger

My 2008 Dodge Avenger first exhibited this problem in March 2011. I am the only owner and I bought it new. Especially in wet weather but occasionally in other instances, the engine will shut off but all electrical equipment- the radio, lights, dashboard and A/C will remain on. This occurs when braking at a stop light or slowing to make a turn- usually when at low speed as when pulling into a driveway. I then must put the car in park, turn off the ignition then restart the car and it always restarts immediately. I have talked to the dealership I bought the car at more than once about the issue but they say they cannot recreate the problem and so can't diagnose it, but this issue only occurs periodically in wet conditions so being able to recreate it at the dealership is unlikely. I would estimate it has happened around 15 to 20 times in the past 4 years. I have seen recalls for other Dodge and Chrysler vehicles that sound similar but none for the Avenger. I hope Dodge will issue a recall on this malfunction as it sounds like there are many other people with the same problem. I feel like this could easily cause an accident.

- Groveport, OH, USA

Oct 052012

Avenger 4-cyl

Since we first purchased this vehicle we have had problems with it stalling. At first we thought it was when it got wet but then it happened any time. It stalled out several times while driving on the high way. We have had it to the dealer several times the past few years. They have replaced the pvc valve and the map sensor stating both times this was causing it to stall out even though the light indicates it is the electronic throttle control. The dealer says there are a lot of things that can effect the etc and it is a guessing game unless the light comes on when they have it which of course it didnt. The car is dangerous to drive at this point. It continues to stall and there is no indication as to when it will happen. We could be going 10 miles an hour or 50 miles an hour. On one occasion when I had to have it towed, the tow truck driver showed me under neath that it had been towed before because something was bent. He didnt want me to think he did it. Therefore there were issues with this car before I purchased it. I have emailed Dodge on this matter as there are numerous complaints about this same issue and yet there are no recalls for it. I dont want anyone to be killed in this car so we are hoping the dealer will take it back as a trade. After all they sold it to us in this condition.

- Plains, PA, USA

Mar 072013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,500.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Sep 022013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 35 mph, the engine stalled, the steering seized, and the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle drove up a hill and flipped over. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Neon, KY, USA

Jan 122015

Avenger

My wife was driving home going about 45 - 50 mph and the car just died. The RPM gauge flutters a little and then the car just died. She was able to coast into a parking lot and the car restarted and she drove home. The next morning she was driving on the freeway going about 10 - 15 mph and again the car just died. This time it was not easy to start. It took some time but she was able to get it started and get it off the freeway to an emergency parking spot. She had it towed to a shop and they could not find anything wrong with it. There were no codes coming up and they drove it around and had no problems. Needless to say, she is scared to drive it. We have seen all the posts on the internet about this same problem and have not heard anything from Dodge about it. We have owned the car for 3 1/2 years and it is just now occurring - it doesn't make any sense and I hope they can fix the car.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 042015

Avenger

Stopped at a red light and a symbol on my dashboard appeared. The symbol was a lightening bolt in parenthesis which I've found out is the etc symbol. That along with my engine light came on together. After turning the car off the etc symbol did not reappear but the check engine symbol did. From looking through forums I've seen that this is a problem with numerous Dodge Avengers and to fix these problems cost large sums with no real conclusion of the reason for the symbols appearing in the first place. I would like to request that this problem be noted in the Avenger line and recalled. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 102014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While attempting to shift gears, the gear shifter became stuck. While driving approximately 50 mph, the electronic throttle body warning light illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times during cold weather. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Hammond, IL, USA

Oct 132014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to decelerate as the electronic throttle control warning light illuminated and failed to accelerate over 15 mph. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Avenger 4-cyl

Radiator loses coolant. This caused the car to over heat and the engine to be replaced, a new radiator and it still loses coolant 4 years later. Can't figure out where the coolant is going as it is never under the car (like a leak).

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Sep 192014

Avenger 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle in Feb 2008, and over the last couple of months I've had to replace the alternator, battery, tension puller and various other parts. Today 10/07/14 my car engine stalled as I was turning to drop my son off at daycare and almost created what could of been a deadly crash. I've called the dealership who sold me the car, who wired me to the Dodge manufacturers, who then directed me to the Chrysler company who then told me about the highway safety department. I've seen on various websites with similar complaints about the same exact issues I've had with this vehicle. Why must the recall occur after the death of somebody and not now. I could have died today and found no resolution. I now longer feel that my car is safe nor do I want it anymore. But also feel that I don't want to trade it in and have somebody else die because of these malfunctions. I know noone will write back or respond but something has to be done.

- Greenwood, MS, USA

Sep 252012

Avenger

Shortly after I purchased my '08 Dodge Avenger I started having trouble w/the etc. It felt like the vehicle was jolting on acceleration or if I was at a steady high rate of speed (75-80 mph). The etc indicator came on. I contacted the dealer & informed them of the issue & my concern about the reliability of the vehicle. It was in & out of the shop 3 times in the 1st month of purchase for the etc. I was told it was a speed sensor yet my etc light was on after replacement. After having etc sensor cleaned & etc software flashed the problem appeared to go away. Almost 2 years later the problem is back & worse. My etc indicator came on, vehicle stalled while idling, started jolting while accelerating & while maintaining a steady speed. It began revving at a complete stop w/full pressure applied to the break (vehicle would jump forward; I feared it would run itself into another vehicle). While slowing down it would rev & accelerate (creating the possibility of hitting another vehicle) w/out pressure on the gas pedal. It died while driving & wouldn't start restart. When it did start the etc was on & it wouldn't get past 1000rpm or above 20mph & had a very rough idle. A tune-up was done, etc sensor cleaned, air-intake system cleaned, & load test done to see if the battery was going bad. This vehicle is incredible unsafe to drive, after researching it appears that I am not the first person w/this issue. Dodge needs to recall this throttle body, it's extremely dangerous. The repairs on this vehicle are extensive & the problem isn't fixed. Advised replacing throttle body is the next step. Told it wouldn't be a guaranteed fixed because the throttle body for this model appears a faulty & I would likely be dealing w/this problem for the length of ownership. Recorded vehicle during some of incidents since I was told 1st time I was told "unable to duplicate, flashed software."

- Richmond, MI, USA

Jul 282014

Avenger

My car horn goes off periodically and stays on when im driving or parked without me blowing it.also my seat belt light comes on every time I turn on the vehicle.when im driving the engine oil light comes on the wheel tighten up and the vehicle slows down and cuts completely off. I have been driving on busy streets when this happen as well as express ways. Once it cuts off if I sit and a couple minutes the car may start back driving like nothing happen...usually. I sit for 30 minutes before it start up..I have taken it to mechanic and its something with the electrical system no codes are coming up when I went to place it on a machine..one mechanic said it my be the ignition not connecting..can this be investigated because this car is doing things on its own the horn will go off when im parking driving and the fuse was checked.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 032014

Avenger 4-cyl

I started my car on Sunday August 3, 2014 and the engine wouldn't turn over, after waiting a minute the car started. While driving the car would not go faster than 20 mph even with my foot completely on the petal. I took my car to oreilly auto parts and had the check engine light read. I had all new spark plugs (based off the check engine light reading) put in the vehicle and I'm still not able to drive over 20 mph. My car is now cutting off at the light and not the highest speed is 20 mph. I keep getting a lighting bolt message and check engine message even though all the codes have been cleared.

- Troy, MI, USA

Mar 152014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While traveling 40 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate on its own. The contact applied the accelerator pedal and all of the instrument panel warning indicators illuminated when the speed reached 50 mph. The failure occurred numerous times. An independent mechanic was unable to diagnose the vehicle and recommended it be taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Apr 172014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic who informed the contact that the intake manifold required replacement. In addition, the power control module would need to be reprogrammed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Canandaigun, NY, USA

Mar 262014

Avenger 4-cyl

Was driving down the highway and noticed a delayed response when pushing down on the accelerator, moments later I was unable to accelerate and the car's electronic throttle control light appeared. The car was unable to go more then 15 mph. I had to have the car towed. I did not receive a warning before this happened however, I did notice my car stalling a little bit a day prior to this happening. I see I am not the only person with this problem, now I have to see how much money this is going to cost me. I am a college student and need my car but not this types of expense and safety risks it comes with. There are 125,000 miles on the car at this time.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 192014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle began to lose power as the check engine and the throttle warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic where they stated that the spark plugs and coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the throttle warning light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 23,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bridgeville, PA, USA