8.6

2. engine flush (1 reports)
2008 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Mar 082011

Avenger 2.4L

So I was driving home the other day and while sitting at a stop light, the car just shut off. All electrical worked fine, it restarted just fine and had no issues making the 30miles home. I had only driven it about 2 miles from work so far, was waiting at the stop light about 30 seconds and dead. I had just rained quite a bit but I didn't drive thru any standing water. Hope someone else has had similar problems and Dodge figures out what the deal is. It's at the dealership now to get looked at, I'll repost if it gets fixed.

Update from Mar 12, 2011: So I took it to the dealer, had fuel induction (injectors) replaced and an ethanol treatment. Apparently the increased ethanol in gas causes water vapor to build up in the fuel line and can cause a stall, especially if it's raining. Was told that Dodge recommends you get the treatment every 30Kmiles. So far, runs great.

- , Crestview, Florida, USA

Dec 012008

Avenger 2.7

car stalls when coming to a stop or already at a stop. dodge says it is my imagination. but it seems to only happen in the rain, sun, cold, hot and warm days since the first time it happened i think its up to about 45-50 times and counting

- , New London, CT, USA

Jun 022009

Avenger 2.4L

My car started giving me trouble over weeks. At first it would stall when started and put in drive or reverse but after u put back in park and start again it would be okay. Then it went to doing it once a week. Then twice a week. Now its everytime u get in it and go down the road but now it has gotten worse. Now when u have driven it for 15 to 30 mins. with the air conditioning on if you stop it quits once this happens you can get it to start again then it goes a little ways then quits. after that happens lights in dash board come on and it is the check engine and the electronic throttle lights but these lights only come on after u keep trying the start the car and it just keeps cranking and cranking. U can keep try to start the car but it only cranks and cranks then maybe out of 10 times trying to start the car it may start but if it does it loses power or rpms and quits it will keep doing this over and over you're stuck where ever you are. But the next day you can get in the car and start it and it works but if you go anywhere you're stuck there because it starts the same crap again sometimes u can push it back home but its dangerous because its stalling on you and losing power the whole way home. Does anyone have and soultions to this problem?

- , Vansant, VA, USA

Mar 022009

Avenger SXT 2.7L V6

As the car is coming to a stop, the RPM drops to a dangerously low level and the car stalls. Or the real fun treat is when the cars' computer discovers that the RPMs are too low and revs the engine. If you are trying to stop and the engine is gunned, you are gonna jump forward into the perpendicular traffic at the intersection. There are thousands of boards similar to this one, and thousands of identical complaints. Why isn't there a recall? I know, they are waiting until someone is killed!

- , St Thomas, Ontario, Canada

Dec 192008

Avenger SE 4 cyl

Well I received a letter in the mail saying that there was a recall on the avenger something about tire pressure and it causes engine stalling or delayed start up. I was experiencing this about twice a week my car just wouldnt turn over when i went to start it. And then on December 19, 2008 we had a major ice storm and i was going about 19 mph and my car shut off i lost all control couldn't steer the wheel or anything which led me to slide off the road and bump into a telephone pole. I took my avenger to the dealership this week to have the recall notice and they called me and told me everything was fine and to come get it. That was Monday. Today is Thursday and last night i was driving home from work when my car stalled ON THE HIGHWAY! I called dodge and they told me i could bring it in and they would take a look at it. Thats all that they would tell me. So i have to take it YET AGAIN to be without a car!

- , Akron, Ohio, USA

Jan 222009

Avenger SXT 2.7L V6

When coming to a stop, RPM's extremely low and vehicle stalls. Only happens when temperature is below -5. Dealership unable to find cause and unable to replicate problem. No warning lights come on when vehicle stalls so computer won't register a fault. Lucky so far that my son hasn't been in the car when occurred, as both times it stalled was in snowstorms and almost was rear-ended by vehicle unable to stop behind me. Please if anyone knows how to help, let me know

- , Kingston, ONT, Canada

Dec 082007

Avenger SXT 2.7L V6

My engine has stalled several times. at speeds under 15 mph while coming to a stop. They are telling me the same thing,they cannot reproduce the problem. We need to find more people with this problem so we can do more about it. Also, let me know if your having other problems. My cars brake light and air bag light come on intermittently, knocking under front end, 2 leaks in the trunk, 1 in the door soaking the floor and stereo loosing time. please respond! daynejthomas@yahoo.com

- , Severn, MD, USA