2008 Dodge Avenger seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 012014

Avenger 6-cyl

Air bag light comes on and stays on when moving seat up or back which makes the sensor come on, have to keep moving the track until it turns off. Is this related to recall G14? fan in radiator constantly turns off and on, and now my car seems to have a electrical short that makes a knocking noise in the engine compartment when the air/heater is turned off, also the left side of car defroster does not work. Most recent the left driver seat belt all of a sudden is not retracting, this is not safe in the case of an accident, dealer is charging an outrageous price to have it fixed.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Oct 282014

Avenger 6-cyl

I have been told that my 2008 Dodge Avenger is not included on the airbag recall list. I have the exact year and model that is being recalled. I have been told I need a new airbag, at a cost of approximately $900.

- Grand Rapids, MN, USA

Mar 082014

Avenger

I was driving 40 mph on a main road when I noticed my air bag light come. I was in the middle of talking about it with a friend and my air bag suddenly deployed in my seat. No accident or injuries but it could have been worse. I took the car to the shop where it sat for 4 months. They replaced the airbags but I had to pay $3000 for everything else that was wrong so that they could fix the air bag. That included the damaged crankshaft, the timing chain, the sensors, the fuel system that randomly stopped working the day I took it in. They told me there was no tell when all this was damaged. I bought the car at 53000 miles and was told it was in a rear end minor accident. But no other accident. I got my car back in July and it was working just fine for a little while and now all the problems I have had before are occurring again. Those problems are the stalling at stop lights, the RPM revving on its own when I'm in park, and the air bag light again keeps coming on when the passenger seat is moved. Also today I noticed that the paneling around my drivers seat belt isn't put together all the way. Should I be concerned? Chrysler needs to do something!

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Sep 232014

Avenger 4-cyl

This has happened several times but today was the worst. The car has lost power several times in the rain mostly when making a turn or slowing down. This time I was driving no rain and the electronic throttle control light starting flashing. I was on the high way and noticed I couldn't accelerate. I started to slow down and move to the side of the road where it just lost power. Thank god I was able to pull over because there was a lot of traffic and I would have been hit. Also my son usually drives this car. This has happened several times to him and when it stalls you loose all power steering and brakes. It is really dangerous. We have had it to the dealer twice and they cant duplicate the problem so according to them there is no problem. I have been reading others complaints and they all seem to be the same issue. Also the airbag light keeps coming on. Is there any resolution to this issue. It seems that people have to die before issues get resolved.I hope Dodge will issue a recall before that happens.

- Plains, PA, USA

Jul 282014

Avenger

My car horn goes off periodically and stays on when im driving or parked without me blowing it.also my seat belt light comes on every time I turn on the vehicle.when im driving the engine oil light comes on the wheel tighten up and the vehicle slows down and cuts completely off. I have been driving on busy streets when this happen as well as express ways. Once it cuts off if I sit and a couple minutes the car may start back driving like nothing happen...usually. I sit for 30 minutes before it start up..I have taken it to mechanic and its something with the electrical system no codes are coming up when I went to place it on a machine..one mechanic said it my be the ignition not connecting..can this be investigated because this car is doing things on its own the horn will go off when im parking driving and the fuse was checked.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 152014

Avenger 4-cyl

I was cut off by another driver who failed to stop and yield to oncoming traffic (me). I braked hard to avoid rear ending him, but he turned into my lane when I was too close. To make the long story shot, I ended up colliding with him. The crash was pretty bad, and both the driver and passenger air bags failed to deploy. I sustained major injuries to my face, shoulders, back, neck, and legs. A police report was made, but I have not reported the defect to Dodge. What should I do" should I go civil"

- Richgrove, CA, USA

Nov 072008

Avenger

Car running sluggish no power, taken to dealer nothing wrong, clicking in engine compartment when air conditioner on, dealer, nothing wrong, transmission pulling. Soon after electrical, loud popping noise coming from passenger side everytime the air conditioner/heater turned on then off, defroster out on passenger side, and rear window, not working at all, air bag light turns on wont turn off, have to move front seat back then forward till light turns off, so irritated and disappointed expected better from Dodge, american made?? wow lost for words. Car is falling apart, I need my heater and defroster someone please help.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Jan 292014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 dodger Avenger. The contact stated that the air bag sensor light illuminated and the failure was diagnosed by an independent mechanic who indicated that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect but no solution was offered. The contact was informed by the manufacturer that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA recall campaign number 07V240000 (air bags). The contact complained that the vehicle experienced the same defect listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Jan 232014

Avenger 4-cyl

Backing car out of the garage, airbag light came on.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jul 102013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the air bag sensor warning light was illuminated and flashing. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was informed by the manufacturer that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number id number: 07V240000 (air bags). The contact also stated that she experienced multiple defects involving the electrical system including an inoperable cruise control function, a sporadic loss of engine power, and the vehicle stalling when the remote key was used to open the doors. The manufacturer was notified and the contact was informed that the vehicle was also not included in NHTSA campaign 08V152000 (electrical system). The contact indicated that the vehicle had experienced the same defects as listed in both recalls. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Eureka, MT, USA

Nov 152013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp was illuminated and the door locks failed to disengage. Additionally, the radio remained on after the key was removed from the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 106,000 and the current mileage was 107,000.

- East Helena, MT, USA

Nov 152013

Avenger 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger. My airbag light keeps coming on and off intermittently. I noticed if I move passenger seat forward or back it comes on and stays on longer. When I'm driving down the road there can be no one in the seat and the light will come on. After reading all the complaints around this issue, air bags deploy when driving and not hitting anything, or air bags not deploying when in collision, I think this is a huge safety issue! all of these people were told their VIN # didn't match the recall. I made appointment with lithia Dodge in helena mt and the guy told me on the phone he didn't even want me to drive the car because of how unsafe it is. I took it to appointment today and the guy today told me there are no recalls on my car. He said the airbag light has nothing to do with the airbag recall. What!"! big surprise, my VIN doesn't match!! why are we all having the same safety issue but not on the recall list???"

- East Helena, MT, USA

Aug 012011

Avenger

Problem 1) the air bag lights would come on intermittently. Problem 2) the engine stalls intermittently, especially on rainy days. Problem 3) the front speakers sounded cracked or damaged and then over a short period of time the left speaker quit and the right speaker is majorly distorted. I might add this is not due to over cranking the stereo. This is due to cheap/inadequate quality speakers used.

- Laurel, DE, USA

Jul 252013

Avenger

My air bag light keeps coming on periodically. I don't know if there is a malfunction, I just need to know that if I need them, they will work.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 052013

Avenger 6-cyl

The airbag light is illuminated continuously. The air bag will not deploy if there is an accident. I called the dealer and my vehicle does not qualify for a recall though it was made in 2008. Other 2008 Dodge Avengers are eligible.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 242013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the contact swerved to avoid a vehicle and crashed into a guide rail. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head injuries and a police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Mar 162013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the driver's side air bag warning light was illuminated. The light would illuminate when the seat was adjusted for a taller person and whenever the seat was adjusted forward, the light would shut off. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number:07V240000 (air bags)however, the contact's VIN was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 54,800. The current mileage was 55,050.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Feb 242012

Avenger 4-cyl

Ever since I purchased my 2008 Dodge Avenger I have been burdened with a multitude of issues. My car stalled while I was sitting at a red light, no warning..it just died. Tire pressure light was always on. Vehicle launches/ jerks forward when cruising at a speed of 45 or below. (and this all happened with my first year of owning the car in 2008) in 2011 gear stick got stuck in the park position..I can go on but section is for airbags, which did not deploy during an accident I had last year, 2012. I slipped on black ice, which sent my car into a tail spin resulting me hitting...actually bouncing off of the guard rail a few times. Prior to the 2012 accident I have had instances where the airbag lights would randomly turn on, indicating a problem..then shutting off by itself. I would schedule appointments with the dealership, but by the time the appointment date arrives, the airbag light would magically disappear! I called Dodge customer service today, as the airbag indicator is back on again..I was told by the representative that there is nothing that they can do for me. She basically told me that I'm fresh out of luck, even though there is a recall, and I am experiencing the exact airbag issue as described in the recall, own the exact make, model and year vehicle. She said my VIN is not included in the recall, so there is nothing Dodge can do. I think the entire 2008 Dodge Avenger fleets are lemons and it is about time Dodge own up to their mistakes, they have no regard for their customers safety. When you are not stalling on the highways and byways, you are left stranded because you can not shift your gear out of park...oh and the airbag issue...its crucial, but unfortunalely Dodge does not think so.

- Raynham, MA, USA

Mar 282012

Avenger 4-cyl

I was driving East bound and I was T-boned on the driver side by a car going South bound on whom ran the light. My car spun around and hit a steel pole on my passenger side which my 10 year old son was sitting. I hit my face on steering wheel and air bags never deployed on driver side which caused terrible injury and scaring to my left eye which is still visible. My son was in the middle of car smashed against the dash had to get out with the jaws of life. The passenger air bag deployed and draping on sides also on my side nothing deployed. I had whiplash, back and facial injurys. The car I was driving 2008 Dodge Avenger.

- Louisville , KY, USA

Mar 072013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the orc light illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Glenolden, PA, USA