2008 Dodge Avenger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Avenger:

2008 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Jun 012015

Could not use cruise control then air bag light came on and would not go off then it was hard to turn the steering wheel took it to my mechanic he found it to be the clock spring he tells me he's not sure if I have a accident the air bags are going to work and I could end up not being able to turn left or right in my vehicle the estimate is for $1000 I don't have that. If its that serious there should be a recall or investigation into this problem.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Sep 022013

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. While driving 35 mph, the engine stalled, the steering seized, and the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle drove up a hill and flipped over. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Neon, KY, USA

Jul 012013

There is a popping and knocking noise coming from front end and can be heard and felt through steering. It sounds like something is going to fall apart. Im terrified to drive my kids around. Found many many posts with exact same problem from owners of 2008-2011 models. It seems to be the rack and pinion that is defective!

- Jamestown, PA, USA

Apr 162012

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering assist failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was told that there was a problem with the rack and pinion however, they were unable to identify exactly what in the rack and pinion was malfunctioning. The vehicle was then taken to the contact's personal mechanic and the steering pump was replaced but the failure was not corrected. The mechanic then installed the original steering pump back on the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 58,000.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 122012

I was driving my 2008 Dodge Avenger to work on 01/12/12. It was raining that morning. I attempted to merge to my right when suddenly my windshield wipers stopped and my steering wheel began to turn 360 degrees however my tires were not moving. I banged in the median. My airbags did not deploy. I was unconscious and the next thing I remember is someone cutting my drivers door off to get me out. I contacted Dodge and they informed me that this was normal wear and tear of a vehicle. I do not understand how" I have not been able to return to work due to my injuries and Dodge could careless. I could have lost my life that day....thank god I didn't. I need to know what to do next"

- Newark, DE, USA

Jan 122012

On 1/12/12 at about 545am I was driving to work on a rainy day. While traveling on 95 North bound at about 55mph my wiper blades stop working and so did my steering wheel. My steering column was not controling my wheels and I hydroplained while trying to stop my car. My car spun around numerous times before slamming into the median wall. I have had many malfunctions with this vehicle but this one topped them all. I have been out of work since this day with injuries caused by this accident, I could have been killed. I contacted the corporate office of Dodge and was basically told I was S. O. L.. now I'm stuck with no vehicle and I'm out of work because of it. My waranty on my car has expired and my insurance company will only pay for the damage that was caused from the accident not the problem that caused the accident. So what am I to do?

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 212010

Avenger 4-cyl

We bought this car used with 3 year warranty from drive time. From first time on freeway we noticed at 70 mph started death wobble. Took it to dealers mechanic and he said nothing get the balance done. We have had the balance done, all 4 tires replaced with manufactures suggested size tire, and still get the death wobble at about 70-74 mph.

- Riverside, CA, USA

May 042011

Avenger 6-cyl

Power steering pump went bad a week after warranty.

- Chads Ford, PA, USA

Sep 182010

I was slowing down to make a left hand turn on 9/18 when, in the middle of turning and while there were other vehicles driving towards me, my steering wheel locking in the position it was in, my brake locked so I couldn't slow down, my gas locked and all the dash lights went off. The car stalled. The only thing I was able to do, was put the car in park as fast as possible and turn the car off and back on. Luckily, the cars that were heading right towards me swerved as to not hit me and the car that I was heading straight for was able to move before we had a head on collision. I took the car to the dealership where I bought the vehicle and where I purchased the warranty, and they were unable to diagnose what the problem was. My biggest fear is that I have two small children and have to travel on the freeway next to large semi's and if this happens there, we will surely die in a horrible accident seeing as how my wheel locks as well as my brakes. I only hope that more investigation will be done to prevent that from happening.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Aug 142010

I was trying to start my 2008 Dodge Avenger when I was unable to release it from park. The car starts properly, but the shift gear does not move. This is due to the cheap plastic that Dodge has used as a lever to release a spring that releases the shift. The cheap plastic has broken!!! unacceptable. My Dodge has 50,000 miles on it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 022010

2008 Dodge Avenger's gear shift will stop working for no known reason. No warning is given when this happens. In order to get the car to shift into gear, on must completely disassemble the console to find the 'magical pink switch'. one you pull the pink switch the gear shift will move to reverse. The dealership is charging approximately $300 for the repair.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 242009

I have numerous problems with my 2008 Dodge Avenger it has stalled out unexpectedly with no sensor indication, I brought it to the shop a few times concerning this issue and nothing could be detected the mechanic fixed something but was not certain it would fix the issue, and now the car has had a knocking sound coming from the steering I took into the shop and they said it was fixed after the car warms up it returns.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 142007

Avenger 4-cyl

A few days after I purchased the vehicle I began hearing a tapping noise in the engine sounds like knocking (bad gas or rod). Dealer claims to not hear anything. Took to another dealer which heard the noise, kept the car to inspect and repair stating they thought they knew what the problem was. Car wasn't fixed I complained because the second dealer admitted to speaking with the first dealer thus the car wasn't fixed. They lied to me and told me it was a federally regulated emissions system that made the car sound that way. Dealer #1 offered to set up an appointment with a Chrysler rep. Then he called back and stated that the rep wouldn't be local for 4-6 weeks. The rep called me and basically stated that it sounded like I just didn't like the car. The dealer would not take the car back, and were rude about repairs. I never saw the rep. Now the car is making a rubbing noise in the steering column and the power steering pump sounds like it is going out. I have done everything to try to replace the car but the dealers have put me off so long without repairs that I am stuck with the car. Less than 6 months after I owned the car I began seeing commercials for the car only the price was more than $5,000 less than what I was charged. Therefore, the bank wants an enormous amount of money in order to put me in another vehicle. The ignition rolls over several times before starting. Sometimes I have to attempt starting the vehicle three times. The cd player does not work, it over heats and will burn your hand if you touch the digital display. I have had friends in the community to call me and tell me that my car sounded awful when they saw me in town. Additionally I am paying 430 a month for the payment when the girl across the road is having the same problems with her new Avenger yet she only pays 279 a month at 11% interest. With all of the problems and the miserable ride this car offers, I can easily compare it to a bicycle " a used bicycle" at best.

- Marion, KY, USA