2.7

2010 Dodge Avenger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Avenger:

2010 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 302016

Avenger

Takata recall 2010 Dodge Avenger. My lights blink on and off inside my car. My throttle control light came on. My car pauses at intersection like its going to just stop. Like it can't make it down the road. I'm worried for my childrens safety also my own.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

May 202016

Avenger

Etc light came on and car started acting like it was running out of gas. RPM gage jumps from 1K to 1.5K. Vehicle would not go over 20 mph. Brought vehicle home reset the computer light stayed on but problem went away for a little over a week. I was on my way to work when the etc light started to flash again. Pulled over attepted to reset like the manual said to, no such luck, called in and took the car to dealership. Diagnosed as electronic throttle body needing to be replaced. As I have been reading through complaints on this vehicle I have seen over 10 complaints on this part but no recall on them. Chrysler needs to recall this part. No excuse for it to be happening to so many people. I understand parts get old and worn out but no way this many. Recall please.

- South Beloit, IL, USA

Jan 042016

Avenger

2010 Dodge Avenger SXT 4L engine - 01-04-2016 no start in home driveway. Car towed to brewbaker Dodge and kept for two (2) days with no trouble found at great inconvenience to myself. Extended warranty would not pay due to no trouble found. I had to pay for towing charges at $65. And dealer waived diagnostic due to previous problem. Dealer offered free towing if problem recurs.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 252015

Avenger

2010 Dodge Avenger SXT 4L engine - no start 11-25-2015 in shopping center parking lot. Car towed to nearest pep boys and they could not diagnose. Charged for towing and diagnostics at $78. Advised to take to dealer and not to shut car off. Driven to closed dealer and left. 11-27-2015 diagnosed as bad starter. Starter replaced with towing and diagnostics covered by extended warranty and I paid for non-covered tax.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jan 282015

Avenger 4-cyl

More then (30) times intermittently electrical issues occur causing flashing (numbers/deck/fuse/blank) odometer, power for radio/time goes out, security system does not shut off or will not unlock the car, the car stalls while driving, the windows wont work, and starting the car can take several cranks. More importantly as a major safety issue, me and my daughter were stuck inside my car for an hour and a half because the electrical issue would not allow any of the doors to unlock. The 2008-2010 Dodge Avenger is known for electrical issues and electrical fires. Dodge is not covering these electrical issues under warranty. I did everything possible to unlock the doors such as the door panel button, turning on and off the car, switching gears, driving through the parking lot to trigger the auto speed lock, giving the key to someone through a small gap in the window to have them use the key manually, pressed the unlock on the key remote, none of this worked to unlock the car. I was even on the phone with the Dodge dealership while this occurred and they could not tell me how to get out. We just had to wait out the electrical "fit" the car has. This issue has been impossible to diagnose because it is intermittent, however the car will be at the dealership this coming Tuesday at my expense. It is a huge risk to drive this car due to the possibility of an electrical fire. I don't want my daughter, (still in a car seat) myself, or my husband to burn to death stuck in this car due to the lack of responsibility from Dodge or manufacturer because its hard to diagnose. This should be recalled as there are thousands of complaints online specifically electrical with this car.

- Republic, MO, USA

Dec 042014

Avenger 4-cyl

While driving my 2010 Dodge Avenger, the electronic throttle body warning light will flash on and then go off, when it is on the car drops speed quickly and will not accelerate. This has happened to me numerous times over the last month. It has happened to me on major highways in heavy traffic and has almost had me get hit by other vehicles as my car drops speed with no warning. The light never stays on long enough to pull any codes from it. I have researched this issue and there is numerous complaints online about the electronic throttle body's being faulty that Dodge is putting in 2008 - 2010 Avengers. I have notified Dodge of my issue and they basically told me they were sorry for my issue and that was it. This is a major safety issue, as someone can end being hit by another vehicle when their car stalls like this with no warning. This part is faulty as people have had them replaced and not even 6 months later they have had to have them replaced again, as the only replacement part available is from Dodge, which shows the parts are faulty. Once the car completely stalls out, it loses power steering and braking capabilities which is going to cause an accident and get someone killed. Please recall this part on the cars before someone gets hurt or killed, I do not want it to be me or one of my children riding in my car that ends up getting killed from an automobile accident because Dodge was not made to recall these faulty parts on their Avengers. I plan on pursuing this issue until there is some sort of resolution for customers that have these model cars from Dodge.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Nov 122014

Avenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Avenger. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the ESC warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,400.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

May 012014

Avenger

I bought the car from rydell san fernando on 12/2013 and the A/C, heater, wipers went out on may and they would not fix it. Then on 9/2014 the breaks went complete out without notice now the vehicle has been in and out the repair shop multiple times and it has been at david ellis Chrysler for over 2 weeks and they can't fix the vehicle, it is a lemon and I still owe 12,000 on it.

- Reseda, CA, USA

Nov 042013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that when the left signal turn was activated, the windshield wipers engaged inadvertently. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Crisfield, MD, USA

Aug 252014

Avenger 4-cyl

I was driving, it was raining so the a.C. went out came back on and went out again never to come on again there was a faint smell of rubber. I took it to the mechanic. After the diagnostic he recommended I take it to the dealership. My car a Dodge Avenger 2010 is only four years old.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 162013

Avenger 4-cyl

The car would sputter like it was having a hard time accelerating then the electronic throttle body light came on. I was on my way to a dealership to find out what was wrong. I was merging onto a busy interstate when my car went from 60-65 mph down to 30-35 mph while I was still trying to speed up to merge onto the interstate. This incident came very close to resulting in me getting rear ended. The next day I went and had the whole throttle body replaced (January 2013). In October 2013 I started to have the same problems, the throttle body light would come on and the car would sputter like it couldn't pick up speed or it would rev up while I was slowing down. I had the throttle body cleaned and it ran okay for a week or two. Then September 2013 I took it to a dealership yet again, they said it was old codes causing the problem. They cleared the codes and it was fine for a little bit. Then around April 2014 it would start up again. It would run fine and on occasion the throttle control light would come on. But in August 2014 it started acting up again. The rpms would rev up from 1 to 3 while in park. I would be sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake and the car would rev up for no reason. It has completely stalled out on me two days in a row. Luckily it was when I was in parking lots. This is a newer car and there is no logical reason to have this much ongoing trouble with the throttle body except some kind of defect. It is also very dangerous. Because it will act up a day or two then be fine for a few days making it difficult for a shop to actually see what the car is doing. The light comes on and it acts up and sometimes when you turn the car off and back on it'll be fine. But the fact that it will stall out or decelerate with no notice is very dangerous especially since I drive on a busy interstate at least twice a day.

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Jan 162014

Avenger 4WD 8-cyl

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Apr 102014

Avenger 4-cyl

Car would start and run for a bout 3sec the etc light and check engine light would come on. Sometimes it would start right back up other times it took multiple starts to stay running...sometimes it didn't do it at all and would run and start fine for weeks. Took the car to an independent shop. They couldn't get any codes off the car and couldn't duplicate the problem. Car was repaired with new spark plugs, new air filter, and a throttle body cleaning. Problem persisted the same day it was "fixed". drove the car for a about 2-3weeks with the same problem intermittently then while driving about 40mph the car lost rpms although the peddle was being pressed and car eventually stalled and shut off leaving the ABS and power steering inop so the car was difficult to turn and stop and almost resulted in an accident. The car was moved to a parking lot and left off for about 10mins. Tried starting it but it would start and stall and idle rough before it stalled out the check engine light with the etc light came were on. Took about 10mins and about 7 tries to get the car running and the car was dropped off at a repair shop. Looks like a common problem within the throttle body with the throttle positions sensor with 2008-2010 model. This needs to be recalled!!!

- Annapolis, MD, USA

May 072010

Avenger 4-cyl

2010 Dodge Avenger. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle fire, after it was started. The consumer was given a replacement vehicle.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 082013

Avenger 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while having the vehicle inspected, the mechanic stated that the engine wires were melted together and exposed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Oct 232012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph the gauges suddenly stopped functioning correctly. The contact was able to pull into a nearby rest stop to restart the vehicle but to no avail. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's destination. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileage was 62,000.

- Effort, PA, USA

Sep 102012

Avenger

Driving approximately 30 mph the vehicle stalled briefly and when the gas pedal was pushed did not accelerate. Immediately following the lack of acceleration the electrical indicator light appeared. The car was driven approximately one (1) mile and parked at no time did the vehicle accelerate to a speed higher than 15 mph and the indicator light continued to be present. Once the car was parked a call was made to a local Dodge dealership and an appointment made to immediately take the vehicle in for a diagnosis. The vehicle was driven approximately 10 miles to the dealership at no time did the electrical indicator light appear and the vehicle accelerated without incident. Upon examination of the vehicle it was determined that the issue was with the throttle body which was repaired. This was the second incident in which the throttle body was replaced approximately six (6) months earlier the vehicle experienced the same issue... while driving 35 mph the vehicle lost power and refused to accelerate the vehicle was towed into the dealership and upon examination it was determined that the throttle body needed to be replaced. Please note that both times the vehicle was taken to the same dealership for repair.

- Englewood , CO, USA

Sep 092012

Avenger 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Avenger. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled and immediately restarted independently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000....updated 10/19/12 updated 10/25/12

- Minerva, OH, USA

Jul 122012

Avenger

Had trouble getting heater/ air conditioner fan to turn on. After getting the fan to blow out had smoke coming out of dash at the radio's cd player. Shut off air conditioner and fan control and smoke stopped. Had car fixed at Dodge dealership they had to replace entire control console for heater and air conditioning.

- Fitchburg , MA, USA

Jul 082012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Avenger. The contact was parked and smelled smoke. He then noticed there was smoke coming out of the radio. The radio and the vehicle were both quickly turned off and the smoking ceased. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 54,000.

- Belleville , MI, USA