CarComplaints.com Notes: Consumer Reports road tests has noted deficiencies in the 2012 Avenger with regard to engine noise, acceleration, braking, handling, transmission, fuel economy, driving position and rear visibility. But at least it has a cool marketing campaign ... right?

8.4

$1,850.00

1. heater core and radiator replacement (9 reports)
  3. replace heater core and flush (6 reports)
  4. plugged heater core and radiator (2 reports)
  5. replace heater core (2 reports)
2012 Dodge Avenger AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Avenger:

2012 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 022016

Avenger R/T 3.6L V6

I have a 2012 Avenger that I bought used in November 2014. Shortly after purchase I noticed the heat on the passenger side of the car stopped blowing hot air. I took the Avenger back where I bought it and they replaced the heater core. Now, 1.5 years later, same issue. I took it to a Dodge dealer and they want to replace the heater core, radiator, oil cooler and radiator cap. This will cost $2500.

I contacted Chrysler Dodge (1-800-334-9200) customer service and reported the issue. I made it very clear that this issue was due to a manufacturing issue and not lack of care on my end as the consumer. I have yet to hear back from them on this issue. My research indicates that even if I have this done, the problem will re-occur within a couple years. It is not reasonable to expect a consumer to pay $2500 every couple of years to continue repairing a manufacturers issue. Research shows that Dodge will blame the issue on you using the wrong anti-freeze and causing the problem. If so, then why does it re-occur after they replace it all with their brand? I have heard that it can be caused by excess flux used to make the heater core. If so, then Dodge is responsible for managing their vendors and executing a Corrective Action Preventative Action (CAPA) with them to resolve the issue, not blame the consumer. Bottom line is that Dodge is the ultimate responsible party for this issue. They should shoulder the cost of repair and seek compensation from THEIR vendor if that is the root cause.

Update from Aug 12, 2016: So after weeks of talking to Dodge Customer Care(?), and being batted back and forth between Dodge and the dealer, I ended up having the car repaired at my expense. What a racket. They just wear you down until you just don't care anymore. Everybody says they feel bad for you, but nobody will help. So now I have a two year warranty on the repair. Lets see what happens. I know one thing, last Dodge that will ever grace my driveway, EVER.

- , Kendall, NY, USA

Dec 012015

Avenger SXT 3.6L V6

Had the same exact problem three years and 30,000 miles ago. They had to replace the heater core and radiator to fix it then. Dodge even had a case number s1207000008 in the system because so many of these vehicles have had the same problem but yet still no recall. I assume there hasn't been a recall because they don't want to fork over millions of dollars to fix their screw up. This is a safety issue as when the passenger side fogs up as you drive down the road because there isn't enough heat to defrost. Now my teenager daughter is driving this car Dodge and I both hope this doesn't cause her to wreck! It is beyond me why Dodge won't fix this safety issue and I sure don't have the money to replace all these parts every 2-3 years.

- , Wamego, KS, USA

Feb 102016

Avenger SE 3.2L V6

About 2 week ago, the heater inside the car started to only blow hot air out of the driver side air vents. This has been causing the windshield to only be cleared off on the driver side and making it very dangerous to drive. It also will only blow hot air to the driver and the passenger will only get ice cold air.

In looking into how to fix, you get a repair bill for $2000.00. It just does not make any since why there are so many of these complaints and there has been effort by Dodge to get this fix. I had bought this car brand new from the dealer with only 12 miles on it, have keep all the service done to my car at the dealer from where I bought it, followed out all dealer recommendations, but now stuck with a repair bill that is ridiculous!!!!!!

Almost wish I bought an import, at least they take care of their customers. Not to mention that the car has a good power terrain warranty, but some how the coolant that is used to cool the engine has a problem in the flow system and it is not an issue with the power terrain. You would think that this is putting excessive pressure on the engine has the coolant is not flowing properly throughout the car.

Let me know if any one has had any resolution to this or knows where to go to start to get Dodge to realize that this is a manufacturing defect......

- , Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 222012

Avenger SXT 3.6L V6

Bought this car new and passenger side heat stopped working with only 16,916 miles. Dealer tested and driver side was blowing 150 degrees and passenger side only 90 degrees. Dealer looked it up in Dodge's star cases system and found star case s1207000008 that says to inspect coolant reservoir for gel/sludge. They confirmed coolant contamination and had to replace heater core, radiator, oil cooler, radiator cap and coolant reservoir. Also had to remove radiator hoses and heater hoses to clean them out. Dealer stated their should be a recall for this problem because they have seen it many of times.

Now three years later car has 50,000 miles on it and the same exact problem is happening again. This is ridiculous. Still no recall but obviously a serious problem that they don't know how to fix properly. This is the biggest complaint for the 2012 Dodge Avenger and Dodge needs to find a fix, create a recall and make things right with all the customers stuck with these vehicles. From what I am seeing this is around a $2,000 fix and if this happens every two to three years it would be cheaper to get rid of this car and buy something else.

- , Wamego, KS, USA

Jan 152016

Avenger SXT 3.6L

So my wife told me that that she is not getting heat to the passengers side of her vehicle, so for sh*ts and giggles we take her car to a dr.s appointment so i can see what it going on and sure enough i noticed that not only was there no heat getting to the passengers side of the vehicle but there was steam coming from behind the instrument panel, and the vehicle started to over heat. The air was circulating but it was blowing cold air. so what that tells me is that the heater core is clogged and not letting the coolant cycle through the engine and the coolant system properly causing it to over heat. My only question is if there is only one heater core why is the left side heat working and not the right, unless there are two heater cores and the one that controls the right side of the vehicle is clogged that would make sense to me. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks!

- , West Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 172015

Avenger SXT+ 3.6L

Having a very mild winter as far as Ohio goes and then the first cold spell hits. I use my auto start, go outside after 10 minutes and the driver side is defrosted and the passenger side is still frosted over. This goes on for a week, driver side warm, passenger sound icy cold air. I take my 2012 Avenger SXT+ to a dealership and get told it is a $1900 fix. Flush and replace the heater core and radiator. The service manager tells me to sit down before he gives me the estimate, he then tells me this is the 4th Avenger in the year he has been there with the same issue. He gives me the Chrysler corporate number to call and issue a complaint, he said maybe they will eat the cost since I am not too far over the warranty for that old of a car. I call Chrysler and they tell me there are no recalls for the vehicle but if I want to file a complaint to do so with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, he said this is how you would go about getting a recall issued. I call them and they tell me they only deal with issues that could cause harm and tell me to call the Federal Trade Commission at

877-382-4357. I have not been able to get through as of yet but they said if enough people call that we could get a recall on this issue and for anyone who has paid to have this repaired that they would be reimbursed their cost. This is ridiculous the first google search I do I find this site with this many complaints!

- , Marysville, OH, USA

Oct 302015

Avenger LX 3.2L

Dodge should fix their mistakes. I really will not recommend Dodge to anyone who asks. It's really bad business and I would not buy their stock.

- , Meridian, MS, USA

Jan 052014

Avenger 4

I got an estimate for over $1,600 to fix this problem which is lukewarm heat on driver's side and ice cold on passenger side. AND A VERY ANNOYING TICKING NOISE COMING FROM THE DASH. I've done the research and found it's a very common problem with most Dodge Avengers and is the manufacturer's fault. But they won't do anything until a recall is put out. I am going on two years without heat in my car. I have kids, this is crazy because who really has $1,600 to fork over to fix this knowing it's Chrysler/Dodge fault! I even purchased a lifetime warranty but it's useless.

- , MARION, USA

Nov 182015

Avenger LX 2.4L

Same problem as others - no heat on passenger side. Dealer charged $120 to tell me I had no heat because heater core ( right side) was filled with sludge - cost to repair $2500. Dodge accepts no responsibility (as others have pointed out) even though they know they should.

Could anyone help me here to get some justice/? Any suggestions? Any government agencies to go to? Any newspapers willing to take up the cause?

I hate to see Dodge get away with this. Losing customers doesn't seem to bother them. I think I'll go march up and down outside the dealership ( It's on a busy road here in Brampton ON )

Never buy a Dodge. They don't want repeat customers.

Art

- , Brampton, ON, Canada

Nov 042013

Avenger SE 2.4L

Bought this car thinking I would have good transportation back and forth to work (27 miles one way) good on gas, ride smooth, no major headaches until winter came. This is when I found out the passenger side only blew out cold.

As a result my passenger got sick, we thought the air would eventually get warm on the passenger side but then I realized it was only blowing warm air on the driver's side. So now I am trying to find out WHAT IS THE SOLUTION!! I love this car but I am highly contemplating on NOT purchasing anything else from Chrysler ever again.

- , Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 012013

Avenger

I bought a NEW car so I wouldn't have to rely on someone for repairs. I intended to keep up regular maintenance in order to stave of the repair stage as long as possible. Little did I know I was buying a lemon. The heat stopped working on the passengers side and blows plenty hot on the driver's side. When I inquired about it I was told there was no recall. Then recently I was explaining the issue to a friend who promptly researched the problem and learned it was a manufacturing defect!!! Why is this not recalled???

If bad flux is used then the manufacturer should come clean and do right by the customers. I was advised to get rid of the car as quickly as possible if I can't have it repaired at a low cost. I keep thinking they will issue a recall for the problem and it never happens. The last thing I want to do is start OVER with car payments. I assure you I will NOT buy another Dodge if this isn't fixed this year.

Sincerely,

Tired of waiting.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Dec 042014

Avenger SE 2.4L 4cl

Bought the car used with 31,000 miles in September 2013, was a rental car in great shape. I live in Jacksonville Florida,so it doesn't get cold very often, but this last winter froze my ass off [been here 30 years blood is thin] Car now has 60,000 miles, still like the car so far rides good, good mpg, but the damn heater blows hot out driver side and cold out passenger side. So I take it to the dealer a few days ago they said the heater core and radiator needed to be replace because they were plugged. WOW the cost was $1600 it is a big job to do, the dealer makes a crap load of money and the tech takes it up ass.

Warranty is up my platinum warranty won't cover it because its not leaking. I'm not a real smart man [as Forrest would say] but holy sh*t isn't coolant these day 5/100,000 miles, even says it in owners manual. OK then car is a 2012 mileage is 60,000 do the math, then W.T.F plugged the heater core. Did Hertz pour some crap in the radiator before they sent it to auction? Got a real good answer from a nice lady from Dodge, she suggested that because it was a rental it was driven to hard. All I know is I've read that lots of other people are have the same issue. T

he tech at Dodge told they know about it and Dodge knows about it. U do feel sorry for you guys up north that really need the heaters, them bastards forget whose money bailed them out and in return the Dodge consumer is getting a poorly designed PIECE OF SH*T and getting

f_cked. Oh well, time to take it like a man. I will never purchase a Dodge/Chrysler product again

- , Middleburg, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Avenger LX 3.2L V6

MY DAUGHTER AND I BOTH HAVE THE 2012 DODGE AVENGER AND THE HEAT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE BLOWS COLD AIR. SEEMS PRETTY STRANGE THERE IS NOT A BULLETIN OUT ON THIS PROBLEM FOR US TO BOTH HAVE THEM SAME PROBLEM AT THE SAME TIME.

- , Clarksburg, WV, USA

Nov 012013

Avenger

Heater only works on the driver's side, passenger side blows cold air. Took to dealer, and was told I needed to replace heater cores and radiator, $1600. Had no problem with the car until I took it in and they reset the computer in the car because I had a light that kept coming on. Should have kept the light, at least I was warm. Michigan winter is rough with no heat or defroster, very hard to see out of frosted windshield. Wonder how many people have to get hurt before they'll put out a recall.

Way to stand behind your produce DODGE!!

- , Tecumseh, MI, USA

Feb 052015

Avenger 2.4L

I purchased the car in August of 2014 when it was 2 years old. Now, I've had it about half a year, driven it less than 3000 miles in that time, and now I'm being told it's $1575 to replace the heater cores/radiator and flush the system. It is a rental fleet car, from Hertz in Leesburg, VA. These people are snakes and the world would be a much better place if their office, and every office like their's, were to close. Even with a rental car though, if they're going to sell it, and say it's road worthy and safe, shouldn't I have a reasonable expectation that the damned thing will last at least a year? And just take a quick internet search on Dodge Avenger heater core issues, and you'll see tons of results and peole with the exact same problem as me. Why the hell is Dodge not offering to fix these issues at their expense, when they used a crap product that is costing their customers thousands to get fixed? They obviously know about it but don't feel obligated to take care of their customers after they get the money. Just another money-grubbing corporation.

- , Dumfries, VA, USA

Dec 102014

Avenger SXT 2.4L

Worst car ever to buy. Had it two yrs and already changed high pressure power steering line, then had to change the upper and lower camber sway arms in the rear end, so pretty much the whole rear end suspension, and now was getting barely any heat. So brought it to the garage to change thermostat, found out it has two of them primary and secondary. Paid $200 to get them fixed temperature went up in the car for about 45 min the only got heat on drivers side and cold air on passenger side which never happened before. It just seems like its one problem after another in this car, but further investigate found out the Journey and Caliber all have the same problems and another thing too is the rear window were the water is supposed to drain along side the trunk to the drain holes well it doesn't work very well in the winter when the water freezes and builds up in there until you have a hard time closing the truck. Very badly manufactured car for Dodge. Think better off sticking to my Chevy!!!!

- , Sudbury, Ontario, canada

Nov 012012

Avenger SXT 2.4L

The only reason why I bought this car is because I've pretty much always had Dodge products and never had a problem till now. This Vehicle has been a nightmare almost since day 1. I truly sympathize with the other people on here that have had the same problem with Heater Cores. I wonder how many people the Dodge Corporation will screw over before they make this right with us.I have Bitched several times to the Company themselves with no results other then Flush or whatever ONCE they knew my Warranty was all used up and I would have to pay for it.

Like everyone else on here, I'm sure you are making big Payments to own a Vehicle you absolutely HATE!!!!! Shame on Dodge Corporation for treating there Customers this way, n, I might add, I have been a VERY loyal Customer for a long time. I definitely am one that will NEVER do business with Dodge again. They have Screwed this Girl for the last time. I should have known when the Dealership was trying to push this one particular Vehicle onto me. The way I look at it. Karma is a Bitch n you get what you give. Dodge is going to suffer BIG time in the long run for what they've done to there Customers.They could have made this right with me by going the distance to keep a satisfied Customer!!!

SHAME ON YOU DODGE CORP.!!!!

- , Orleans, VT, USA

Jul 012014

Avenger

Great Car.....except now my wife does not want it. A cold snap hit and now she does not want the car. The passenger side blows cold air. The cars new name is "two face". The windshield is split in the morning. This is a danger if left that way. She does not like cold. SHE wants my Tahoe with the heated seats. I will not give it up. I see the problem with the car after just a few minutes on the internet. Hey Dodge fix the problem you know its a problem.

- , Farmville, NC, USA

Aug 282014

Avenger SE 2.4L Pzev

Heat only working on driver's side, passenger side was cold air. Took to dealer and was diagnosed as heater core clogged and radiator clogged with sludge. Found out from a friend who is a mechanic for Dodge that this year Avenger had issues with the casting, sand in the engine molds, which will cause the heater core and radiator to clog and go bad. Known issue to Dodge, but yet no information passed on to the vehicle owners.

- , Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Dec 102013

Avenger

No heat on passenger side, very little on driver's side and defrost would only blow cold air. Not helpful when there is ice on the windshield.

Took the car into the dealership. They said that it was not covered under warranty, but they would be happy to replace the heating core for $1500. I had to pay $125 for them to tell me that.

I took my car to a local shop and they did 2 flushes on it, but did not fix the problem. They said that the heating core would need to be replaced ($1200). They called me into the shop area to show me the removed heating core. The mechanic stated that it is a known problem by Dodge. They were having issues with the radiator leaking so they used a type of stop-leak. However, they would tend to use too much which then flowed into other areas, such as the heating core. There was so much hard gunk built up it was ridiculous. They gave me the core to take to the dealership. I took it up there and they accused me of adding something to stop a leak. I called the hotline to Dodge and they told me the same thing. They said they had no other reported issues so this must be something that I did. I asked to speak to a manager and they told me it would not matter because this is not an issue. The local shop that I was dealing with called also to file a compliant, they were hoping to help me recoup some of the cost, but they were also turned away.

This is the second Dodge that I have owned. After the first one (Intrepid - blew transmission after 50,000m) I swore I would never buy another. Shame on me.

- , Southaven, MS, USA