CarComplaints.com Notes: Consumer Reports road tests has noted deficiencies in the 2012 Avenger with regard to engine noise, acceleration, braking, handling, transmission, fuel economy, driving position and rear visibility. But at least it has a cool marketing campaign ... right?

6.9

$1,200.00

2. replace heater core and flush (3 reports)
  3. heater core and radiator replacement (1 reports)
  4. replace heater core (1 reports)
2012 Dodge Avenger AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Avenger:

2012 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Dec 102013

Avenger

No heat on passenger side, very little on driver's side and defrost would only blow cold air. Not helpful when there is ice on the windshield.

Took the car into the dealership. They said that it was not covered under warranty, but they would be happy to replace the heating core for $1500. I had to pay $125 for them to tell me that.

I took my car to a local shop and they did 2 flushes on it, but did not fix the problem. They said that the heating core would need to be replaced ($1200). They called me into the shop area to show me the removed heating core. The mechanic stated that it is a known problem by Dodge. They were having issues with the radiator leaking so they used a type of stop-leak. However, they would tend to use too much which then flowed into other areas, such as the heating core. There was so much hard gunk built up it was ridiculous. They gave me the core to take to the dealership. I took it up there and they accused me of adding something to stop a leak. I called the hotline to Dodge and they told me the same thing. They said they had no other reported issues so this must be something that I did. I asked to speak to a manager and they told me it would not matter because this is not an issue. The local shop that I was dealing with called also to file a compliant, they were hoping to help me recoup some of the cost, but they were also turned away.

This is the second Dodge that I have owned. After the first one (Intrepid - blew transmission after 50,000m) I swore I would never buy another. Shame on me.

- , Southaven, MS, USA

Dec 172013

Avenger Sxt Plus

The car was blowing cold air on the passenger side of the car, took it in for service in December 2012, they recalculated the system. Took back to dealer in January, same problem, replace heater core, radiator and radiator cap and flushed system 2 twice. Dealer said had heavy slug build up.

Within one week had major coolant leak and lost all coolant from the vehicle. Dealer fixed loose screw.

- , Prince Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 022013

Avenger Sxt Plus 3.6L

The cold snap finally hit in January 2013, after work I started my Avenger and let it warm up to melt the frost on the windshield instead of scraping. Only the driver's side melted and after driving 40 miles the passenger side still had frost on the windshield. The local Chrysler dealer was happy to fix the problem for me, told me it was bad flux in the heater core. They replaced the heater core and flushed the system a few times. The heat worked for the rest of the winter.

- , New Richmond, WI, USA

Dec 052013

Avenger Sxt Plus 3.6L

Cold snap hit in late November, noticed heat not working on passenger for 2nd time in early December, only because I had a passenger who wasn't getting warm. I was hot. Lots of heat on the driver's side, no heat on the passenger's side. Local dealer was happy to look at it again, but gave me a line of bull saying the vents to the passenger side are longer than the driver's side and with the sub-zero temps, it takes a while to heat up on the passenger side.

The cabin air filter was dirty, which they claim was plugged. The coolant was flushed several times and no debris was found. I only had to pay for the cabin air filter. After being in their shop and flushing the system and replacing the cabin air filter, I had heat on all vents at good air flow. I left the Avenger outside in 5 degree temps for several hours and went for a 20 minute drive. Passenger side warm, but not hot like driver's side. I'll be complaining to the dealer again soon.

- , New Richmond, WI, USA

Dec 012013

Avenger 2.4L

I bought the car used and once it started getting cold the heater would only work on auto and defrost. The passenger side would blow cold air so the vents had to be closed in order to get any type of heat but it still wasn't working up to par

- , Lizella, GA, USA

Nov 142013

Avenger SXT 2.4L I-4

So, when you buy a brand new car from Dodge, they offer an extended warranty (72 mo/100k miles) that covers some things.. Just not ALL of the brand new parts in your brand new car, apparently.

Heat just stopped working in the passenger side of my car, randomly one day (at just over 34k miles). So, I take it to the Dodge dealership near me and ask them what's wrong. They flushed my coolant system for free and sent me on my way. The problem almost immediately resurfaced. I couldn't take it back in right away, though, because we went on vacation. We ended up in St. Louis just before the New Year and I had it taken up to the St. Louis dealership where I bought the car from and they claimed my car WASN'T under warranty because it was at almost 37k miles. Even though, they're the ones who sold the extended warranty to me and I figured it would be in their system. (Nope, apparently.) So they charged me to flush my system (which, again, did not fix the problem) ..and then they told me that wasn't the problem and there was a defect with my heater core and radiator and they both needed replacing.. On a less-than two year-old car. And because I had no choice or proof of warranty (I guess?), I had to pay them to flush my system, but told them to hold off on replacing anything because I wasn't going to be in St. Louis very long and needed my car.

I get back to Kansas City and checked my contract (which is where the paperwork was) and, sure enough, I had the extended coverage of 72 months/100,000 miles. So, I take it to the Dodge dealership near me again (Gladstone.. Really good people at Gladstone) and the guy said my car IS under warranty, but it was the WRONG warranty.. or something? I had him explain it three times and I still didn't quite get what he was saying, except that the dealership that sold me the warranty should have explained that the particular warranty sold to me was not all-inclusive. (Also, it wasn't a Chrysler warranty? Even though the dealership I bought it from and brought it to was Dodge/Chrysler and the car I bought is a Dodge.. Why would I need a Chrysler warranty for my Dodge?) So, my radiator replacement is covered under warranty, but I have to pay parts and labor to have my heater core (defective factory part) replaced? And while it isn't going to be an entirely obscene fee, this is still some considerable garbage, Dodge.

So, I guess my point is: Don't buy vehicles from Marty Cancila DCJ in Florissant, Missouri. Or, if you do, make sure that they explain every facet of the warranty to you.. in detail.. like you're a small child.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 252013

Avenger STX 3.6L

no heat on the passenger side of the car driver side was about normal and defrost on passenger side takes about 20 miles to clean off after warming up the car for 10 mins. this was fixed under warranty was told it was incompatibility of antifreeze's that they was changing over to this was the 2nd reported case of this problem.

- , Sandusky, MI, USA

Nov 042013

Avenger STX 3.6L

no heat passanger side of the car. had the same problem in January of 2013. have found out the real problem is the heater core manfacture used the wrong flux and too much flux to weld them. contacted Marlette Chrysler in Marlette Michigan the manager informed me about 4 days later that Chrysler will not cover this under warranty. when I told them that was not going to happen they replaced a bad heater core with a bad heater core. why should I have to pay for there problem.They came back the next day for half price they will replace it. called Chrysler the lady I talked to didn't even listen to what I had to say so I asked to talk to her manager. he called me back Monday said there is nothing I can do he talked to marlettes manager and they think it is fair for me to pay for there mistake I had heat for 2 months summer you don't use it .

THIS IS THE FIRST AND LAST CHYSLER I WILL OWN AND RECOMMEND YOU DONT. CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS THAT 350 DOLLARS THEY SAVED THEY LOST IN JUST MY SERVICE WORK

- , Sandusky, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Avenger SXT 2.4L

When its cold outside I turn the heat on to about 70 degrees. While the heat is coming out of the dash vents the heat works good. Once I turn the defroster on I get no heat until I turn the heat to max. Been to the shop three times already with no fix

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA