CarComplaints.com Notes: Consumer Reports road tests has noted deficiencies in the 2012 Avenger with regard to engine noise, acceleration, braking, handling, transmission, fuel economy, driving position and rear visibility. But at least it has a cool marketing campaign ... right?

2012 Dodge Avenger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Avenger:

2012 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Mar 012016

Avenger

My car hesitates and jerks viciously whenever I accelerate. I only had the car 9 months. I did research and noticed this year car has a recall on it but I have yet been notified by my dealer. I just want to know what's the problem and will I receive any recall assistants ??

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Jul 112016

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. While driving various speeds, the steering, brake, and accelerator pedal locked up without warning. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle in order for it to resume normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Jun 102016

Avenger

Knocking sound coming from passenger side dash, found to be air blend door. Knocking occurs intermittently before, during, and after engine start. Vehicle has also lost heat to the passenger side, due to buildup of "sludge" in the heater core. The loss of heat to the passenger side creates the in-ability to de-frost/de-fog windshield and could pose a safety risk to driving conditions in low temperatures or high humidity. Currently customers are being asked to pay a cost ranging from $1,200-$2,000 to replace the heater core, coolant flush, and blend door replacement. Issue seems to be related to powertrain manufacturing (where else would sludge/debris come from in heater core?) but this issue is not being covered under warranty...

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jun 182012

Avenger

Ever since I purchased this vehicle brand new it has had issues with the shift points. I was told multiple times by hatch Dodge in show low AZ that the vehicle didn't shift right because it was learning how I drove and that it was my fault. When they re-flashed the transmission software the shift points changed dramatically back to stock condition which resulted in very predictable, smooth shifts. Once you have driven the vehicle over 200-300 miles the vehicle would start to "re-learn" your driving habits and the shift points of the transmission would begin to get sporadic again. Dodge corporate told me that they have no fix for this and that again, it was my fault because of how I drove the vehicle. Our local dealership confirmed that if the vehicle was either driven like a hot rod or very slowly all the time that the shift points may be consistent but with variable driving habits (I.e. city and highway driving) the shift points would also vary and you cannot predict them. I think that 2012 Dodge Avengers also need to be investigated along with the other vehicles in this class such as the Dodge charger and Chrysler 200 as they came with the same engine/transmission combo

- Show Low, AZ, USA

Jan 162016

Avenger

Heater not working. (65,000 miles) took the car to Firestone, where they did a flush which did not work and told me to take to the dealer and replace the heater core. Where they gave me an estimate of $2500 to replace the entire coolant system (heater core, radiator, oil cooler, thermostat, water pump). The tech advised there was something restricting flow through the heater core. There is a 100,000 mile power train warranty on the car but they do not agree that the coolant system that cools the engine (power train) should be included. Where did the sediment/sludge come from? possibly oil contamination from the engine (power train)? this problem has been noted in numerous models and Dodge has released a statement to their techs to replace the entire coolant system because they know something they did is wrong. This is very similar to the problem GM had with dex-cool why is there not a recall for this problem the consumer should not be burdened with the failures of the manufacturer to provide a quality product. I hope this matter is taken seriously as it truly is a safety issue. If the heat does not work it is not just uncomfortable for the driver/passengers but it will also reduce visibility through the windshield since the defrost/heat does not work.

- Chicago Ridge, IL, USA

Dec 232015

Avenger

Heater not working. (87,000 miles) took the car to the dealership where they gave me an estimate of $2500 to replace the entire coolant system (heater core, radiator, oil cooler, thermostat, water pump). The tech advised there was something restricting flow through the heater core. There is a 100,000 mile power train warranty on the car but they do not agree that the coolant system that cools the engine (power train) should be included. Where did the sediment/sludge come from? possibly oil contamination from the engine (power train)? this problem has been noted in numerous models and Dodge has released a statement to their techs to replace the entire coolant system because they know something they did is wrong. This is very similar to the problem GM had with dex-cool why is there not a recall for this problem the consumer should not be burdened with the failures of the manufacturer to provide a quality product. I hope this matter is taken seriously as it truly is a safety issue. If the heat does not work it is not just uncomfortable for the driver/passengers but it will also reduce visibility through the windshield since the defrost/heat does not work.

- Higginsville, MO, USA

Aug 102015

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power while driving 20 mph. Occasionally, the vehicle would take 20 -30 minutes to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the crank sensor malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to another independent mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. There was a customer service for this issue for the PCM reprogramming; however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,801.

- Independence, MO, USA

Aug 152013

Avenger 4-cyl

While driving through the mountains in Maryland, I applied the brakes and the entire car shuddered. The rotors were apparently warped and the car was difficult to slow down or stop. The more the brake temperature increased the more difficult it became to slow the vehicle down. Most of the mileage on the car is highway or country roads, as I live in a Suburban area. The brakes still act up in flat areas just not as bad as they did in the mountains. I have a six speed 2.4L, 4 cylinder in the Avenger. Before and after having the transmission flushed the transmission would downshift hard between 3rd and 2nd gear and 2nd and 1st gear. When I backed out and put the car in drive, if you didn't wait for about three seconds prior to accelerating the transmission would slip then bang into gear a take off. The entire transmission was rebuilt but you still have to wait for it to lock into drive before taking off. The transmission was rebuilt with 36,000 miles on it.

- Genoa, OH, USA

Apr 292012

Avenger 4-cyl

Will not shift into drive until speed reaches 45 - 50 mph. Can not accelerate over 4000 RPM at any time. Unable to pass other slow moving vehicles at a reasonable speed. Have taken the vehicle into the Dodge service center, explained what was happening, and was told "nothing is wrong with it because there is no sensor light on".

- Victoria, TX, USA

Aug 302012

Avenger 4-cyl

Upon acceleration the cars bogs down and hesitates..it also bucks upon starting making it extremely difficult to pull out into traffic...the transmissions has been replaced and sensors and the problem still exists and Dodge claims this is a characteristic of this particular model and year!!

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Sep 102012

Avenger 4-cyl

I have had several problems with the acceleration of this vehicle the dealership replaced the transmission and several sensors due to bucking and hesitations. This never resolved the situation it still bucks when its moist or rains I was told by the dealership that this is a characteristic of this particular model.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Dec 122012

Avenger 4-cyl

The only problem I have is that the engine sounds like a pea thrasher when its started on cold morning. (it sounds like a lifter that has lost its prime). Also, the transmission shifts hard, surges (over revs) when coming to S atop, and at times when its down shifting while going down a hill, it slams into lower gear.. there are additional body sounds that I haven't addressed yet. I was told by mechanics and service tech's that this was a common sound from my size engine. The have ran updates, yet the noises are still there. I mentioned that at idle with the headlights on, if I was to power any of the windows, the headlights dim and then engine drops from approximately 950 RPM to below 500 and stalled the engine.... updated 04/11/13

- Herber Springs, AR, USA

Nov 282012

Avenger 6-cyl

Transmission will get stuck into a gear and not shift. Vehicle was taken to dealership for repair. After 1000 miles, transmission again malfunctions and towed to dealership for repair. Second malfunction very similar to first, but I was not able to even drive the car after the second malfunction. Car seems to be stuck in a higher gear that will not allow me to get started from a full stop. This is a new Avenger with 3.6L pentastar engine.

- Marlboro, NY, USA

Nov 272012

Avenger 6-cyl

The power steering fluid is leaking, the resevoir was completely empty and I had all the fluid all under the my car and the steering wheel is almost impossible to turn.. I live five to 10 miles from the dealership, so I went to gene's Dodge of fairbanks on 11/27/2012 at 5:30 pm Alaska time. One of the mechanic came to look at my car and when I started to he knew just by the sound it was to power steering resevoir was completely empty and noticed that there was also a leak. I made an appointment for 12/06/2012 and was top off with atf+4. the next day I went to work no issues, it wasn't 3pm on 11/28/2012, my car was making the same noise and when I checked and saw that my power steering was out of fluid again so when I refilled it it took a whole quart. I called the dealership right away and took the car to them and got a rental covered under my warranty. The next day on 11/29/2012 I pick up my car and was told that the power steering hight pressure hose cracked and was replaced and that this is a common problem and that is why they keep the part in stock also that they will see me before winter is over. On 11/30/2012 from 9am I am to work a 24hr shift and so I drove to work no issues, however, between 9am on 6pm all my fulid from my power steering tank was gone and so I put some more fliud in because the steering wheel locked up and would not turn. As I went to turn the wheel to get the fluid flowing I retuned to hood to close it and as I was putting the cap back on the tank I heard the noise again as if the tank was enpty and as I look the poweering tank was empty and all the fluid was on the ground, any reasons why this may have happened other then it was -30 to -35 degrees over the night?

- Fort Wainwright, AK, USA

Sep 192012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger SE. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the transmission began to down shift in a jerking motion. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the PCM chip was updated. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 50.

- Deltona , FL, USA

Sep 012012

Avenger 4-cyl

I just bought my 2012 SE a few months ago. I've noticed some rough shifting with my 4 speed transmission, particularly when downshifting at about 25-50 mph. The feeling from the transmission almost seems like the transmission is stumbling down the gears, rather then a smooth downshift. The rough downshift is very noticeable and irritating. Of course with this being a brand new car I was concerned about the tranny and took the car back to the dealership. They gave me the standard "we can't find anything wrong with it" routine and claimed that they did a reflash on the trans. Since I took the car to the dealer I haven't noticed the shifting issue as frequently, but it is still happening. I wish I got the 6 speed one to see how it supposed to ride.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Feb 172011

Avenger

I was making a U turn and the car stalled, it was still on drive gear but as I pressed the gas pedal nothing occurred. The steering wheel was locked as well as the braking pedal. I put the shift back in parking gear turned off the car waited a couple of minutes then tried to turn it back on and it started working again.

- Mamaroneck, NY, USA

Apr 162012

Avenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Avenger. While driving down a slight incline approximately 15 mph, the transmission automatically down-shift violently. The failure occurred intermittently. The contact sustained a neck injury as a result to the transmission defect. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on two occasions. The first repair consisted of the PCM being reprogrammed. The second visit to the dealer they were unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 800.

- Flushing, OH, USA

Feb 072012

Avenger 4-cyl

When stopped on hill then let foot off brake letting car coast the transmission will drop on low gear shuttering car making loud noise, noted this also while driving transmission will shutter causing some loss of speed.

- Flushing, OH, USA