2013 Dodge Avenger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Avenger:

2013 Dodge Avenger Owner Comments

Apr 092014

Avenger

I was driving down a back road coming up to a severe curve the car started accelerating on its own. The gas pedal was not pushed al the way down but the engine continued to speed up. As I came up to the curve I could not maintain the car on the road and it flipped four times and landed in a swamp area in about 2 feet or three feet of wate.R

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Feb 062014

Avenger

I had just merged onto 69 heading home from school. It was around 930pm. I start to pick up speed to blend in with traffic. There was a three car accident that occurred so we all slammed on our brakes to avoid from hitting it. Unfortunately I hit the back of a flatbed tow truck going between 45-50mph. To my surprise my air bags did not deploy. Even though I had a recall on my car a few months back for the airbags not working right, so I took it to my dealership to have my recall fixed. So when I got in this head on collision I was in shock my air bags still did not deploy.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Jan 012014

Avenger

2013 Dodge Avenger. Consumer writes in regards to several problems with vehicle and recall notices. The consumer stated the esc light illuminated. The consumer also believed there was a problem with the rear of the vehicle.

- Red Springs, NC, USA

May 102013

Avenger

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Avenger. The contact stated that the tire monitoring system failed. The tire low pressure warning light was illuminated constantly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times and the dealer advised that there was nothing wrong with the tire monitoring system. In addition, the check engine warning light recently illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where a diagnostic was performed which located the failure at the electronic control module. The contact was also advised that the evap canister was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8 and the current mileage was 2,540. The VIN was not available.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

May 142013

Avenger 6-cyl

While driving at a low speed I put my foot on the gas to speed up and it was as though my car was not running at all. Nothing happened. I coasted to the end of the road and at the stop sign I hit the gas only to get chugging, spitting and sputtering sounds as the car tried to go. I was able to go a approx 1/4 of a mile and pulled into a parking area, shut the car off and waited a few minutes. The car seemed fine although a few miles down the road when I went to pass a vehicle there was absolutely no power and the car smelled as though something was burning. I had just fueled the car up before the incident. A week later, I filled my car up and although I didn't stall I had the same situation with putting my foot on the gas to pass a vehicle and not getting any power. I had the pedal to the floor and it was almost like the car was bogged down in the mud. Very alarming for a new car. Also when passing a vehicle and giving it the gas not only does the front end of this car lift up it is almost as though it fishtails like on ice in the front end. Very scary and hard to control the steering while passing.

- Alexander, ME, USA

Dec 012012

Avenger

Car was purchased at the end of October with 17 miles on it. Very shortly after, the engine light came on. The dealership turned the light off and it came back on a day or so later. They turned it off and supposedly checked the car. A while after noises started to become more prevalent. The main noise is coming from the steering column area. It happens when there are sharp turns, backing and turning, and if its cold. The noise is hard to describe. It sounds like a thump/clicking type of noise. Very annoying and somewhat alarming since the dealership has not been able to fix it in several months...another noise is coming from a little to the left of steering column. This is more of a faint noise. Sounds like small clicking. One other noise came from the center of the front of the car. It sounded like something just dropped. Like something just fell down. It was very scary actually. The dealership has worked for months to diagnose the problem with this car and have been unsuccessful. This was my first purchase ever and I am very unhappy. I have been told it is not a safety issue but I am not convinced. I think it is an issue that hasn't been brought up very much yet. The cars are brand new and people are still breaking them in and such. I do not feel as safe as I had in this car. I will never purchase Dodge again.

- Greenbackville, VA, USA