CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

8.2

1. replace alternator (6 reports)
2007 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Jul 012013

Caliber 2.0L V4

Really should a alternator fail at 69k?? Come on Dodge!!! For Gripes Sake!!

- , Mentor, OH, USA

May 302012

Caliber

First my car started to sound like a dryer full of ball bearings the ball bearing The OEM ones in the alternator went out. There is no replacement pulley so the whole alternator had to be replaced $600+ (found out this is a common problem in 2007 dodge calibers glad I caught that before it caught fire)…

then while pulling out of the parking lot my tire fell off due to faulty/worn-out I ball joints and upper and lower control arms.. HAD TO REPLACE BOTH BALL JOINTS AND UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS ON THE CAR AND PRETTY MUCH THE ENTIRE FRONT END SUSPENTION $1400+! (This is a major complaint with these cars as I have found online. I have read over 200 different complaint statements it makes me sick)not to mention my ABS light was on and they had to change out my speed sensor 100 +..

Now what has been happening is my ck engine light came on 2 weeks after the entire front end suspension was replaced when I drove the car it would shake and acted like it was losing power and would not let me accelerate past 35 mph. I took it in it had several stored codes. one was then intake manifold was stuck and the other was the camshaft.. they cleared it out and only the manifold came back up so they said I had to replace that. we did (another $800 + down the drain) I picked it up and a day later it was doing the same thing now saying mult. Cylinder misfire and camshaft they cleared it and test drove it but it did not come back on so the Dodge tech. has no clue what to do to fix it and no clue on the cost (crazy thing.. this has also been a problem on 2007 Dodge Calibers) This has all happened with in the last 3 months and my car has about 86000 to 87000 mi on it (cant tell you the exact amount as its in the shop)! I’m fed up this car is falling apart and no car with this mi and age should. As I have read Dodge knows of these issues and has done nothing about it I have also called and made my complaint no call back yet..

if you know of any open lawsuits on this let me know as I’m in! I would even be happy if Dodge would reimburse me for these issues as obviously they are well documented known issues.. I have spent way to much on this car in 3 months and @ 7 months pregnant with a 6 year old I need a safe reliable car!

- , Conroe, TX, USA

Jan 032012

• CVT transmission

just a few months after replacing the ball joints the car started to sound like a dryer full of ball bearings. What do you know it was ball bearings. The OEM ones in the alternator went out. There doesn't seem to be a replacement pulley so the whole alternator needs replacing

- , Adrian, MI, USA

Jul 022010

Caliber

• CVT transmission

Had to wait 3 hours for the extended warranty tow truck to come and tow my car after work to the dealership. 100 degrees outside and I am stuck in a parking lot. To top it off I had to pay the "overage" charge to get my car to the dealership. There goes another 50 bucks!

- , Gardner, MA, USA

Apr 272011

• CVT transmission

Took the vehicle into local dealer where had purchased it. Because they are such a pain in the ass to deal with after 3 recall items and we were past warranty we asked for an evaluation only. $145.00 (cdn.) later we were told that it was a bearing in the alternator but it was still working just fine, nothing to worry about.

We sounded like a deisel. We took it to our regular mechanic and were told a different story. The alternator was bitched. We also had noticed several problems occurring simultaneously with alternator, ABS light on, cruise control not functioning and occassionaly the passenger's air bag light coming on. We're still waiting for answers on those.

- , Sarnia, Ontario, Canada

Aug 152009

• CVT transmission

Mitsubishi made this alternator for Dodge and this should be a warranty item do to poor quality. But it was not! The bearings failed so a new alternator was required.

- , Severna Park, MD, USA

Oct 132010

Caliber SXT 2.0

• CVT transmission

well here ya go... start your holiday shopping early! my gift to myself will be my alternator... with fairly low miles on the car, it was unexpected! at least I had some warning, (2 days) of bearings starting to grind. with everything so small and compact under the hood, I had no idea, until the battery light went on.

- , Williamstown, NJ, USA

May 272010

Caliber 2.0L

I have also had to purchase three batteries. When I asked the service technician at Dodge to investigate he ran diagnostics and informed me that I needed an alternator on both occasions..no duh!! How about figuring out why the hell I have had to purchase 3 batteries and two alternators in six months...how about that!!

- , Kenbridge, VA, USA