Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Aug 042011

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 to 50 mph, all of the lights on the instrumental panel illuminated and the engine began to lose power before there was an increase in the engine rpms to 8,000. The vehicle then began to suddenly accelerate and when the brakes were engaged, the smart braking system activated. As a result, the vehicle fish tailed. The contact lost control of the vehicle, but was able to maneuver to the side of the road. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance because the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V234000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) and the warranty expired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 88,000. The consumer stated around 30,000 he began to experience major electrical problem. The lights, car alarm, power windows and power locks were all affected. The radio, horn and led panels were having minor issues. The vehicle was still under warranty, so therefore the dealer fixed the vehicle in a timely fashion. The vehicle performed as designed up until 50,000 miles when the problems returned. However, only the power locks and car alarm were affected. The vehicle was no longer warranty and since they were minor, the consumer learned to just live with. However, on August 4, 2011 as the consumer was driving, the vehicle suddenly went haywire. The instrument panel was blinking on and off, the dome lights were flashing, the radio shut off and the brakes stopped functioning. The vehicle the accelerated out of control and the consumer lost control of the vehicle. The ABS light illuminated and the vehicle started braking itself to compensate for the acceleration. The vehicle then fish tailed as the consumer was trying to make a left turn. Updated 09/29/11.

- River Side , CA, USA

Aug 042011

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact was driving 30 mph when all of the lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact also mentioned that after the ABS lamp illuminated, the system engaged which caused him to temporarily lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was out of warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 88,000.

- Riverside , CA, USA

Dec 152010

Had to replace alternator and my airbag light continually comes on. My sister has the same problem with her Dodge and hers is a different model..

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 202011

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the electronic throttle control warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle would decelerate independently. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who advised that the alternator needed to be replaced. The dealer was contacted and the part was ordered. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 142011

Last week I started noticing a loud rattle in the engine of my Caliber. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the belt tensioner. I got it replaced and it got rid of the squeaking noise but not the rattle. I did research online and discovered that many people were having alternator problems and showed similar symptoms as mine did. I contacted the dealer and said that it would be $680 to replace. I decided to go with another mechanic because it was cheaper. This mechanic replaced it and showed me the old part, it was completely burnt. He said that there should be no way that a car with 60,000 miles on it should have an alternator in this condition. He also mention that it could have caught on fire. Why is there not a recall on this?

- Grapevine, TX, USA

May 232011

The turn signal stayed on, everything electric shut off, then when I put the car in park and took out my key, the car was still running!! this happened twice and no one can figure out what could possibly be wrong. Then my check engine light went on. The diagnostic test read P0708. I was told I cannot simply fix this sensor, that I would need a whole new transmission. My car is 4 years old and has 53,000 miles on it! how could I need a new transmission, who can afford a new transmission!? the car has been extremely well taken car of, normal oil changes, inspections, I just bought 2 new front tires! this is unbelievable.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Apr 222011

Caliber 4-cyl

Almost a year ago my 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT started jerking back and forth and felt like it was going to die. The electronic throttle body light came on but as soon as I slowed down, the light went off. I called my local dealership and told them about the problem. They stated that if the light in the dashboard wasn't staying on they could not get a code from the car but I could bring it in and they could try it anyways for $105. I took it someone I know and they read the code off of it, 2120 P2110, I called the dealership back and told them the code. They told me that they would have to run their own tests and charge me to see what was happening but if there was no light than they couldn't do anything. I asked them if this is dangerous to drive then because I have a baby in the car. They said no, as long as I can pull over fast enough to restart the car. Last Friday, the car started to do it again and I was on the highway with my 2 yr old in the car. My car started loosing power and the car behind me almost hit me so I turned around and got my fiance's car. When I tried to take it to the dealership the next morning the car would not go above 2000 rpms and so I drive 10 mph all the way through the city (I got up to 30 mph down hills). I think that all of this is dangerous and having dealerships telling people that they cannot fix the problem is crazy! the dealership now wants to replace my entire throttle body and I am wondering if a replacement would have been avoided if they would have looked at the car last year!

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Dec 032010

My 2007 Dodge Caliber stalls out while I'm driving. It has 50,000 miles on the speedometer and I purchased it used last Sept 2009. The problem occurred about 5 times before I decided to take it to a local mechanic to have a diagnostic test run. The dashboard warning signal would come on signifying "electronic throttle control". this issue has come up in different driving conditions but usually in the first 15mins of driving. Usually I am at a stop and then when I attempt to accelerate, the car dies. It starts right back up but, because I lose power, I'm forced to pull over in traffic unexpectedly. This is a definite safety concern for me. The vehicle will be at the Dodge dealership tomorrow so that their mechanics can look it over. I have been in touch with Chrysler at 800-853-1403 and have been told this issue has not been reported as a problem/trend.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Jun 152007

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 35 mph, both front axles failed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and repaired under warranty. The contact also experienced problems with the radio and the problem was repaired by the dealer. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle suddenly downshifted. The contact believed the failure within recall 10V234000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) was the cause of the problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 27,000 and the current mileage was 36,400.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jul 282010

The totally integrated power module on left side of the engine compartment is not working. So, the brake lights & horn do not work. However, the individual component was tested the brake lights & horn work individually. I don't know how long I have been driving like this but one of my co workers told me my brake lights were out because he almost hit me in the rear. This part is not covered under warranty because it is not part of the engine. It will cost apprx. $820 for repair. Which I cannot afford at this time. I am reporting this because it is a safety issue driving without brake lights or a horn. Someone can get seriously hurt or possibly die from driving like this.

- Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Sep 012010

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber. I can remove the key from the ignition without putting the car in "park". this allows the car to roll when it is not on. This is a safety concern, as I have on multiple occasions exited the car, at which time it begins to roll away. There is currently a recall for certain 2010 Chrysler products (NHTSA campaign #10V200000). I believe this should be extended to include 2007, if not the years in between as well.

- Robbinsdale, MN, USA

Apr 042010

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximate 30 mph the vehicle stalled and the transmission light illuminated. She drove onto the emergency lane for 20 minutes and the vehicle began to function normally. The dealer replaced the computer chip. The failure happened a week later and was taken back to dealer who stated that they did not know how to fix the failure. She then took the vehicle to another dealer who replaced the transmission. Two weeks later the vehicle stalled again. The contact stated the dealership advised her that they would call her when special technicians came from Chrysler. The dealer never notified her. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- St Clair, MI, USA

Jun 012010

I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber in April 08, it had 12,00 miles on it. It now has 70,000 miles. It is making a loud clicking noise in the front end. I can feel it in the steering wheel and on the floor board whenever I make a turn or go over a bump. I do not have a warranty, and the dealer wants $75 just to look at the car. Also, while driving with my small child, my turn signals, high beam headlights, and wipers just stopped working. I have looked at hundreds of other complaints about these same issues, but I do not know of any recalls for these same issues. This is an extreme safety issue while driving. I am not sure how I will be able to pay for these problems with the car. Wondering how Dodge can get away with these same issues happening with thousands of Calibers and them not be held liable to fix it at their cost? will never buy a Dodge again! thank you, and I hope to see recalls very soon for these issues!

- Brooksville, KY, USA

Mar 152009

Positive battery post on original manufacturer battery came loose from body and released battery acid into engine compartment. Battery acid ate through protective coating on wires to main electrical and caused car to stall and malfunction.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

May 302009

On Saturday, 5/30/09, while driving Dodge Caliber 2007 back home, all instrument gauges needles suddenly and erratically swing up and down. I started smelling a rotten-egg sulfur odor and experienced mild throat and lung irritation. As soon as I arrived home, with engine still running, I started investigating the cause of gauges needles erratic motion and source of sulfur odor. First, I checked the recently replaced manufacturer original alternator, which has recently catastrophically failed. Please see recently filed 5/16/09, NHTSA safety complaint, ODI #10268931. After I verified that the new alternator was working correctly, I started sniffing and tracing the source of sulfur odor. First, I thought odor was coming from computer module; then, I thought it was coming from fuse box next to computer module. As I sniffed closer to fuse box, under plastic engine air intake manifold, I noticed battery squirting boiling-steaming sulfuric acid. I found the source of rotten-egg sulfur odor. I removed the air intake manifold to fully expose the battery and take photos. Luckily, I only suffered mild irritation to my throat and lungs, but I could have been fatally exposed to sulfuric acid gas poisoning, or battery could have exploded with fatal outcome. Photos and battery are available for your review. I don not know if unsafe catastrophic failure of original manufacturer alternator caused this unsafe catastrophic failure of manufacturer original battery or vice-versa.

- Benicia, CA, USA

May 162009

March 13, 2009, I purchased a used Dodge Caliber 2007. Few weeks later, I starter hearing noise which kept increasing in intensity as the days went by. I thought it was probably a loose or bad serpentine belt tensioner or idler. On May 17, while driving the car back home, the ABS, air bag, battery, and check engine lights turn on. At home in the driveway, with engine running, when I opened the hood, I noticed sparks around the alternator area. I thought it was the serpentine belt touching a loose metal that was creating the sparks. Today, May 16, I removed the alternator and noticed the alternator windings arced and melted the copper wire windings and the aluminum housing. I have the alternator and pictures readily available for your evaluation. I did a google search and discovered that other Dodge cavalier owners have experience the same premature catastrophic failure of the alternator. This catastrophic failure is very unsafe and could have resulted in fire, explosion, accident, and fatalities. There are no known recalls related to this dangerous alternator failure.

- Benicia, CA, USA

Jan 082007

2007 Dodge Caliber have had this car since June 2006. In the 14 months I have had it on average it seems at least once a month I have to take time out of my schedule/work to go to the dealership drop it off and explain the same repeat problems. This not only takes time but I also have to make other arrangements for transportaion. The car has had a grinding type noise upon ignition since I bought it along with the engine constantly wanting to stall upon slow down or complete stops and then trying to accelorate again. This has caused me to nearly be rearended and or hit numerous times. Each time I have had it in the service center I am told the grinding noise can not be detected. I pick the car up and no sooner than I get home and leave again it happens. As for the stalling I was told it was the power controll module and it was replaced and they considered it repaired. This was in January, it is September and still this is happening more and more often. I have had it back numerous times. There are many other problems with this vehicle that the service center has told me was'nt a problem or they have corrected and it continues.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Oct 092006

Caliber 4-cyl

I just recently purchased a 2007 Dodge Caliber. It has been less than 30 days since I have had the car. The car was a nice vehicle, until one day coming home from heidelberg, germany. I was on autobahn 656 between heidelberg and mannheim. I was in the left lane driving about 70 K/hr. I went to turn on my headlights and as I did the entire dashboard panel went blank. All meters (odometer, tacometer, and speedometer) dropped to zero, but they quickly came back on. When they returned to normal, the transmission had shifted into neutral, causing me to nearly get rear-ended by a car traveling behind me. I was unable to shift back into drive. I changed lanes and got to the shoulder and shut off the car. When I shut it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes, I restarted the car and was able to put it back into drive. But when I had started the car, the malfunction light had turned on and would not extinguish. I was able to drive the car back to my apartment and let it be parked. When I returned to the house, I tried to restart it and the malfunction light had went out. My wife then drove the car back to the car lot on Tuesday morning. I had talked to customer service, a one, I explained to him that I felt the car is an unsafe car. Yes, I understand that you deserve the chance to fix the problem. But who is to say that the problem will be fixed correctly and that it won't happen again. What if my wife and myself don't find out that it wasn't perfectly fixed until it's too late. If I'm driving and I have an accident, do you want to be the one to explain to my family why you would not take my car on a return because it's unsafe? I have always purchased Dodge vehicles. I don't like driving anything but a Dodge. I don't blame anyone at miliatary car sales or even Dodge. But I do not want this unsafe vehicle. Our lives hang in your hands make us keep an unsafe car or let us return it today 13 Oct 2007 at 1743.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jun 152006

Caliber 4-cyl

The first week I heard a hard & solid click noise coming from the rear of the vehicle 6-15-06. On 6-18-06 while in stand-still traffic the vehicles oil light lit up & chimed prior to the engine stalling & in neutral with the clutch to the floor. On 6-19-06 I took it in to the shop. John and I returned to the dealership 6-22-06 spoke with bob corlette about the multiple mechanical failures. We were told by bob that there is nothing that they can do. We spoke with david tindale (who provided the owners manual) & who reassured both of us that the problems would either be fixed or if they couldn't be fixed that they would be able to enact the lemon law & replace this car with a new one. I dropped the vehicle off the following week 6-26-06, len thomas said the stalling problem could not be duplicated. Since picking up my vehicle, over the last 2 weeks the vehicle has still stalled at least 8-10 times. I received a call from lori at the dealership on a follow up to my service where she stated she too heard the clicking noise since she drove the vehicle. She also stated that the vehicle stalled on her while at a red light, but wrote it off to possibly her error and so this was not documented to service. On 7-12-06 w/ len thomas & david tindale to please call me back in reference to what lori stated about the stalling problem. I called and sp/ w david tindale & len thomas about these mechanical issues 7-13-06. I also followed up w/ a Chrysler customer assistance request 7-13-06 file number 15156132. Len thomas called after speaking with Chrysler about the problems and found that there were 4 other 2007 Dodge Calibers in the us that have been exhibiting the same stalling problems. Furthermore, while sitting idle in traffic my speedometer display races up to 20 mph and back to 0 and races to 40 mph and back to 0. this has now occurred approx. 6 times in the past few weeks. I reported this new mechanical failure to len thomas 7-20-06.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 102006

Caliber 4-cyl

At 200 miles, my car's engine started to rattle and my power lock had a short. I called and called the dealership until 1000 miles later they checked the problem. They gave me an excuse for the motor rattling was that there was such thing as winter and summer fuel and that I should change gasoline stations and brands to see if that would correct the problem. I followed their instructions and went practically all over town gashing up. I just had it checked again at 1527 miles, the noise got worst. The motor rattles when I accelerate and when it also reaches the regular temperature. In the morning when my engine is still cold it doesn't rattle but as soon as it reaches the regular temperature it starts rattling. My motor rattles a lot worst. Yesterday at 1430 miles as I was waiting for the light to turn green, my car was going to stall. My RPM gauge went down and then went back up. I got the same excuse once again that it was the type of fuel and that there existed no repair for this problem. The service manager said "the car is working the way it was designed" and "it is all through computers now, Dodge fixes the problems and sends us the software and we hook up to your car. In the mean time, there is no repair available and it will eventually get repaired". the only thing they did was add a mopar fuel additive but I still hear the noise. I have used regular, mid-grade, and premium and used different stations and fuel companies and the problem still exists. The rattling is so bad that not even with the ac full blast can you tune it out. As far as the power lock is concerned it was repaired, they said it had a short. The bad thing is that there are no other power locks but the only one on the driver side. As far as safety is concerned, you are unable to open the rear passenger doors or the rear door, as they have no power locks you have to do this manually. I had to teach my child to pull on the lock in order to open the door in the mean time this got fixed.

- Laredo, TX, USA