CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 112010

Caliber

I purchased a new 2007 Dodge Caliber in April 07. Today, while replacing the tires for the first time, it was found that both lower control arms and ball joints had failed. This causes a very unsafe condition that can cause the front wheels to fall off or create a situation of uncontrollable steering. The tire dealer told me that they had seen numerous cases of this with this particular model of car. Lower control arms and ball joints are not normal wear items, they are steering components that should last longer than a set of tires. After researching this on the internet by googling Dodge Caliber + ball joints, I found many other Caliber owners had experienced the same issue. Dodge has not issued a recall or service bulletin on this very unsafe issue. Toyota was subjected to government hearings, made major news headlines and fined heavily due to throttle sticking. Drivers had the ability to react by putting the car in neutral or shutting off the car but with this steering issue, you may not have the ability to steer the automobile at all. My research shows Chrysler has made no attempt to fix this issue, research also shows you can only get replacement parts only from an authorized Chrysler dealer and when you pay Chrysler to fix it, they are using the same replacement parts that failed without warning in the first place. The car must be jacked up and tires removed to evaluate the ball joints. The ball joints fail so badly it destroys the lower control arms they are mounted in. This cannot be checked any other way. This is a major safety issue for me and my family and everyone on the road with thousands of these cars on the road as well. These are accidents waiting to happen anywhere at any time. There must be a recall on the unsafe steering issue.

- Flemingsburg, KY, USA

Jun 232010

Caliber

I was stopped at red light, I was rear ended at aprox.45mph by SUV. The car started in fire at rear of car, flames touched to of car inside of car. After emptying a fire extinguisher, fire restarted 5 more times, each time using another extinguisher, fireman finally flooded car to stop the fire...just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? the muffler and gas tank arevery close, and were touching after impact..

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jul 062010

Caliber

Safety recall K11 on my Dodge Caliber. I received the recall notice over a week ago, made an appointment for this am 7/6/10 at 10:30 am and delivered the car to Tacoma Dodge in Tacoma, wa. I arrived early and checked in. 45 minutes after my scheduled appointment they still had not started work on my car. The recall letter said 30 minutes to complete the work. I was not appraised that they wanted to work on the vehicle at their leisure. Other Dodge dealers in pierce and thurston counties have refused to provide service in the past as Tacoma Dodge was not an "approved" dealer in GM's re-organization and I had bought the car there before the restructure. I had appointments and needed my vehicle back. It had not been repaired.

- Dupont, WA, USA