CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jul 012011

Caliber

The vehicle has had the ignition switch slip from "on" to "accessory" twice in the last few years. The first time was on I-95 just North of richmond, va. I was driving, shifted my knee (with a long keychain), and the switch slipped. I was unable to control the car at that point. I hit the emergency lights button and tried to re-start the car. I was able to re-start the car and continue driving without accident or injury. The second time was on edwards mill road in raleigh, nc. At that point, I was not driving with the longer keychain, but a shorter one with only four keys, and the switch slipped again. Because it had happened before, I knew what I needed to do was to re-start the car, and I was able to do so successfully without accident or injury. Because at the time, I didn't think much of it, and because I had no concept that it could have been a bigger issue, and because there was no accident, I did not stop to write down or remember the dates/times of these incidents. I know that the first incident was at night; the second incident was during the day. I remember where I was because I have a photographic memory; however, because I didn't stop to look at the date or time then or later, I don't recall exact dates and times. My best guess, based on my travel schedule through richmond, va, is that it took place within the last three years, and then the second incident sometime after that. I thought nothing of these incidents even when the GM recalls started happening, because it wasn't a GM vehicle. However, the other day, I read that Chrysler vehicles were being recalled for this issue, and something triggered my memory with the switch slips. I wanted to provide this information and notice so that a decision could be made about investigating other Chrysler models, as well as to provide notice to the company of an issue.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Apr 222014

Caliber 4-cyl

Drove home from work parked my car next morning it wouldn't start. Had battery power and cranked when I turned the key but would not kick over to start. Towed to mechanic. He said there wasn't anything wrong with it, he cleaned the spark plugs, weather warmed up and car worked again. This happened twice, he stated I needed to take it to Dodge dealership to have the computer reprogrammed (that this was a common problem for my car type) two days later, driving to work all the lights went on and the steering froze, not able to turn left or right. I was able to exit and park car without incident now having it towed to dealership.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Apr 042013

Caliber 4-cyl

The first signs of a problem were a clicking sound when turning the steering wheel. It did not happen every time, and I did nothing about it until December, when a portion of a strap with electrical wire embedded began to protrude from the upper steering column. It soon began to be a nuisance as the portion grew longer and would catch on the steering position adjustment knob. I grew alarmed when the airbag light came on, and took it to the dealership. They said it was a broken clockspring, and they had to order the part. It cost me over $300 to get this repaired, and now I see Toyota is doing a recall for this exact same thing, a spiral cable assembly that becomes damaged from turning the steering wheel. It is a poor design. Toyota is replacing this with a better part, but I do not think Dodge did that, and I had to pay to get this replaced. I am concerned it could happen again, and believe there should be a recall by Dodge also.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Mar 122014

Caliber 4-cyl

March 12, 2014 my mileage was 56700 miles I had to have my lower ball joints replaced because they had both failed. The last issue I had with steering & suspension was in March 2012. My mileage at the time of the diagnosis by the Dodge dealership was 34,898 and I needed to have the passenger side tie rod replaced. There have been numerous reports to the NHTSA/ federal government regarding both the tie rods and ball joints of the 2007 Dodge Caliber. I have done research and have found that the tie rods and ball joints are known to Dodge to be common failing parts on the 2007 Dodge Caliber. When I replaced the tie rod on 2012 I did notify Dodge directly, my vehicle warranty had expired at that time and Dodge closed my case and I was brushed off. Dodge stopped replying to my emails and would not return my voicemails. I have found no fatalities in my research so far, but it is only a matter of time with this vehicle design. How many reports are required before an investigation is launched. Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

- Juneau, AK, USA

Feb 282014

Caliber

Upon hitting a small pothole, the subframe broke causing a loss of steering into oncoming traffic. Luckily there were no accidents. The tires now go two separate directions. After getting the vehicle towed to a repair shop, they discovered the subframe had rusted through due to the air compressor leaking directly onto the subframe. When having our insurance adjuster from state farm out to assess the damage it was determined it was manufacturer's defect and would not be covered. I then contacted Dodge who stated that the perforation for rusting was 100,000 miles. Although the incident on the vehicle we are still paying for through an authorized Dodge dealer happened on a vehicle that has exceeding the 100,000 miles by only 10,000 miles - we are now stuck with a car that's going to cost over $1,100 to fix due to a manufacturer's defect. This incident could've resulted in a fatality. Dodge needs to be held liable for this issue.

- Cortland, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Caliber 4-cyl

My 2007 Dodge Caliber was taken to my mechanic where it was found that the main subframe had rusted through in multiple places. The car is only 6 years old and has approximately 76,150 miles. I called Chrysler and mentioned it. Customer service stated that they would only provide cost assistance if I had the work done at a Chrysler dealership. The car was taken apart and on the lift at my preferred mechanic. I had my mechanic provide the service. I did receive a quote from a local Chrysler dealership it would have cost me $ $850. My mechanic did the service for $ $650. Chrysler has refused payment. This subframe components is rusted through in three locations. After only 6 years, this doesn't seem acceptable on a major front end component.

- Lebanon, ME, USA

Oct 242013

Caliber 4-cyl

I was slowing down to stop at an intersection and heard a thump on the bottom of the car. As I started to pull forward the steering was very difficult and the I heard a whining sound from the right front tire. I was about a mile from my repair shop so I had my brother follow me with his emergency flashers and drove slowly to the shop where I found out that the subframe was completely rotted through. In the last year, I have had to replace upper and lower control arms and the alternator.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jul 152013

Caliber 4-cyl

Started to hear squeaking and clanging noises in the front passenger side of my car. It would make the noises with every bump and especially could hear it going down hills. Then the steering wheel would wobble and it felt like I was driving on a flat tire, but tire pressure was fine. When it started to be all over the road, like I was constantly hydro-planning, I researched on line and found that this particular year and model of car has major problems with the control arms, ball bearings and tie rods. I made an appointment with my mechanic and told him I thought it was the passenger side control arm. He checked it out and it was both control arms with connected ball bearing, both tie rods and both sway bar end links needing replaced. He also discovered that the tires that had been put on not even 9 months ago where showing threads. Cost of repair not including the new tires and alignment was $887. Will be up over $1000 after tires are replaced and alignment is complete. I was afraid to drive on wet pavement, had very little control of the car. Was always correcting the steering while driving, it just pulled and when I hit a bump it would jerk to the side where the bump was.

- St. Clairsville, OH, USA

May 142013

Caliber 4-cyl

Car is hard to start cranks very slow and there is a tapping sound like a bad lifter upon starting but goes away when the car warms up. The wheel bearings had to be replaced. Alignment was way off and tires had to be replaced. Brakes have to be replaced. There is a hollow noise from the rear of the vehicle. After jacking the car up to check that sound out the rear passenger wheel would not come off the ground. After replacing the front wheel bearings and new tires the car now shakes and vibrates in the front end. The car has been at the repair center for 10 days on and off. This last time it has been there for 6 days and counting. These vehicles are unsafe for the road and should be recalled and taken off the road permanently. There are way too many problems with these vehicles and the manufacturer will not do anything about it. NHTSA needs to step up and hold the manufacturer accountable before someone gets seriously injured or killed. Do not wait until there is a fatality! action needs to be taken now!

- Putnam, CT, USA

Apr 262012

Caliber

My 2007 Dodge Caliber, which only has 56,000 miles driven, had to have its left front tie rod end replaced at 25,000, and now the lower control arms, right tie rod end and left strut need to be replaced. After some research, I found that many 2007 Dodge Caliber owners are experiencing the same problems. I think that the suspension on these vehicles, specifically the lower control arms, which contain the ball joints, are defective and need to be recalled, before someone gets killed, when their tires fall off the car.

- Kearney, NE, USA

Oct 302012

Caliber

Vehicle taken in for tire rotation.located excessive wear in lower ball joints, tierod ends and control arm bushings.many entries on internet of others with same vintage Calibers finding same prob with premature wear. Failure of any of the above components.

- Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA

Nov 102010

Caliber 4-cyl

I had to have the whole front end of the vehicle replaced at about 36,000 miles, tie rod ends, ball joints, and lower control arms. Now only 1.5 years later (at 53,000 miles) one of the control arms is bad again. I'm not sure why all of these parts have such a high failure rate but from doing research on the internet and talking to other Caliber owners this seems to be a very widespread problem that is happening at very low mileage. Eventually somebody is going to get hurt driving one of these things when the steering goes out. I have talked to Chrysler people about the problem but they of course don't want to admit any fault and instead imply that you may have caused the problem yourself due to your driving habits.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Apr 292011

Caliber

The vehicle had a failure of the front end parts, tie rod ends, ball joints. Paid to have it repaired last year and now it has happened again, only this time both sides. I now have 85,000 miles on the vehicle. This is just ridiculous. There should be a recall on this product.

- Woodridge, NY, USA

Mar 022012

Caliber 4-cyl

My sisters 2007 Dodge Caliber only has only 32236 miles on it and the ball joints need replaced already, it cost 800 dollars to replace them, I looked on line and everybody that has a 2007 Caliber is having the same problem there should be a recall on the ball joints, just look on line and U will see how many people are having trouble with the ball joints, how many complaints does it take to have a recall done, thank you for your time, please just E mail me back thank you.

- Harmony, PA, USA

Mar 052012

Caliber

Reversed out of parking spot put car in drive and nothing happened. Turns out my tie rod and ball joints on passenger side basically fell apart. Garage said other side is just about ready to go too. Thankfully I was only pulling out of a parking spot...5 minutes later and I could have been wrapped around a telephone pole. Been looking online to find many people also have had this problem. This should really be looked into further!

- Watervliet, NY, USA

Jan 242012

Caliber

These cars are dangerous for people to be driving on the highlway. Dodge knows the control arms are defective and they should be made to do a recall on these cars. Luckily, I have not had a wreck in this. Vehicle. If the control arms break while driving, it will be very bad. There are so many complaints on-line about these cars, I am shocked nobody has made Dodge do something about this problem.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 272011

Caliber

Front lower ball joints are completely shot. Found this out when I got tires fixes- car only has 52,000 miles- I am a very good driver making sure that I watch out for all road conditions.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Feb 212011

Caliber 4-cyl

Vehicle was purchased new, and at 29K service dealer replaced tie rod end at our expense said to be out of warranty. 4 new tires were put on the car and an alignment could not be done because of excessive play in front end. Car was brought back to dealer and it found that the lower ball joint was severely worn to the point where it was almost falling out of the car. This also was replaced at our cost.with 6 months gone by and 6000 miles we were told that the other tie rod was bad and the car was unsafe to drive but that they could not repair it at this time. We then called Chrysler and they said the would work with the dealer but we would have to pay to get this fixed also. When we brought the car back to the dealer again they again found that the ball joint was bad also. This all comes after the car goes out of warranty and we have been complaining about the front end almost every time we bring it in for the oil change. It was stated by the service manager that the reason for this was the bad driving habits of the owner. And this was also the same reasoning behind all the other Calibers with the same issue. When questioned why they did not find this earlier and why the fill out a special checklist that includes steering and suspension, it was stated that this inspection is only a visual inspection, and that if I had noticed that the report form point to the actual steering wheel not the steering components.

- Windsor Locks , CT, USA

Sep 052011

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, a howling noise would be heard from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the vehicle needed new brakes, tie rods and a transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,500.

- Marion, IN, USA

Jul 192011

Caliber 4-cyl

I had an oil change done on my 2007 Dodge Caliber today. The safety inspection sheet said the tie rod is "loose" on both sides, and the left ball joint is "loose". I know if either of these breaks while I'm driving down the road it would cause a very serious accident. There are less than 27,000 miles on this car, and I found that many others have had this same problem with their Calibers. I am strapped for cash, but will have to get it repaired asap, as I don't feel safe driving it like this, especially when my four year old granddaughter is with me. I think a recall is in order.

- Boscobel, WI, USA