Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

May 212011

Caliber 4-cyl

Front end started clunking at approx 57,000 miles. Had checked and replaced tie rod ends and ball joints.

- Saxonburg, PA, USA

Jan 212011

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a knocking noise coming from the front suspension. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician stated that the control arm, outer tie rod ends and ball joints would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Dec 152009

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 50-55 mph, the vehicle began to shake abnormally. As the contact decelerated, the vehicle exhibited an unusual noise from the passenger side of the vehicle near the front brake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer yet the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken to the dealer three times for the failure. On the third visit, the dealer replaced the front bushings, front bearing and other unknown repairs but to no avail. The failure persisted and the vehicle was taken to the dealer several times but never repaired. On one occasion, the vehicle stalled without warning and the vehicle was towed to the dealer but not repaired because they were unable to duplicate or diagnose a failure. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 74,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 132010

My 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT having ball joint/tie rod/control arm failure at 64,000 miles. Replacement of all parts would be $1000. Vehicle is only 3 yrs old and have read numerous upon numerous complaints about this as a safety issue.

- Coon Rapids , MN, USA

Nov 042010

I had my car in with another complaint, the tire pressure gauge was leaking. While they had it on the hoist, they told me the tires were wearing unevenly due to damage to the tie rods. I only have 36,000. Miles on my car and it is a little over three years old. I am trying to get with their paying for at least part of the $700. Repair and cost of new tires.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Mar 202010

The ball joints and tie rods on 2006 to current Dodge Calibers. They have premature wear which the company knows about. I have researched for several days and have found hundreds of complaints on the ball joints and tie rods. They begin to fail with as little as 30,000 miles on the vehicle. I have not repaired my vehicle yet due to the $1000 it will cost only to fail again in two years. If one of the tie rods break steering will be lost resulting in loss of control of the vehicle.

- Johnston City, IL, USA

Oct 202010

The 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT is extremely hard on its suspension and steering components. I was told it is normal for the ball joints and tie rods to almost fall off after 50K miles. The warranty I purchased will not cover the cost of repairs because in their opinion it is normal wear and tear on the vehicle. I believe it is not normal for this problem to occur. Looking at similar complaints online I think Dodge should consider this a safety recall.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Sep 242010

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT having ball joint/tie rod/control arm failure at 53,000 miles. Replacement of all parts at $1000 expensive. Vehicle is only 3 yrs old and have read numerous complaints about this as a safety issue.

- Dartmouth, MA, USA

Aug 202010

Lower ball joints and control arms are defective on 2007 Dodge Calibers.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Aug 302010

2007 Dodge Caliber. Ball joints and tie rods failing at 52,000 miles. Very premature. The dealer said the vehicle was not safe to drive off the lot.

- North Webster, IN, USA

May 062010

The tie-rods in my 2007 Dodge Caliber were so worn they needed immediate replacement. The manager of the les schwab tire company I visited remarked that for the age and mileage on the vehicle the tie-rods should not be needing replaced.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

May 012010

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 25-30 mph, the contact stated that the accelerator pedal became stuck when it was depressed and the vehicle accelerated up to 80 mph. When the contact applied the brakes, the vehicle did not slow down. The steering wheel would not move and the gear shift lever would not shift into park. When she applied the emergency brake, the vehicle spun over a sidewalk into a parking lot. The identical failure occurred when she attempted to restart the vehicle; therefore, she towed the vehicle to an authorized dealer. Two months prior to the failure, the keys became stuck in the ignition for thirty minutes. The dealer had not informed the contact what caused the failure to occur. The contact stated that she experienced headaches and neck pain after the failure occurred. The current and failure mileages were approximately 60,000.

- Revere, MA, USA

Nov 042009

4 sets of headlight have blown on the car in the last 6 months. Then my gears aren't shifting correctly because it's making a clicking noise which has been heard by several people. Also the steering wheel clicks when you turn it on occasions. On a 2007 Dodge Caliber sxt2.0.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Mar 112010

I own a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT. Recently took it in to be repaired because car was pulling severely to one side while driving and making bad grinding sounds. Mechanic discovered the inner and outer tie rods and also the ball joints on both sides in the front of the vehicle were so deteriorated that he deemed the vehicle undriveable until repairs were made. In his official opinion they were the worst he had ever seen that did not result in the tires falling off. After doing research on the Dodge Caliber models I have seen that this is a common problem with that make and model of vehicle. What happens when your tires fall off at 65 mph on a highway" I do not want to be driving when that happens. No this problem has not led to a death yet, but do we really need to wait until it does before Chrysler is forced to upgrade the parts on their vehicles" $1000 worth of parts and service on a 4 year old car is ridiculous and to know that because they chose to use low quality parts that could have resulted to my tires falling off at 65 mph is unsettling.

- Saukville, WI, USA

Aug 162007

I purchased my 2007 Dodge Caliber August 2007. Nothing happened until the warranty was up. Here is what has happened and mileage. 40,000 right front strut 45,000 left front strut 50,000 outer tie rods replace L and R 55,000 ball bearings and lower control arms have to be replaced 65,000 replace 2 sensors that are not communicating so car is stalling and now hot water spraying on my foot when gas is pushed down and burnt my foot this car should of had many more recalls than it has. Dodge/Chrysler has done nothing to help me with these costs and now I am stuck.

- Natick, MA, USA

Oct 222009

I had to have the front tie rod ends replaced on my 2007 Dodge Caliber at 41,500 miles. After researching the problem a little more and discussing it with the service technician, it seems that this is a big problem with 2007 Dodge Calibers and late model Dodge in general. This is a serious safety issue. The technician told me that I'm lucky the steering didn't go out in my car while I was driving down the highway. This is something that should be investigated immediately as there are a lot of Dodge Calibers on the road right now. What's it going to take to get some action done about this" someone dying in a horrible accident"

- Emporia, KS, USA

Sep 272009

Tie rod ends failed state inspection at 25,000 miles.

- Evans City, PA, USA

Sep 192009

2007 Dodge Caliber, while driving today going to make a left hand turn with son in the back seat. The keychain holder you attach to any key got caught on the sterring wheel part and actually broke the key off while driving. It the gadgets shouldn't be positioned that way. Anyway the whole front end of the key is still in the steering wheel and it almost caused alot of cars to hit the car because after they key broke off and half stayed in the car it actually locked the wheel. We do not know what to do but I told my spouse not to touch it. We could have been seriously hurt or killed today. I no longer feel safe at all. I feel the wheel and the space they have from where the key is inserted and where they put other things is obviouslly unsafe. We are frustrated and afraid of getting back in the car when it is fixed. Also where do we go to get this fixed since this is not our fault? a steering wheel should never be designed where the parts are so close together that a simple string that is your key chain and short can get caught on the gadgets of the wheel. My son is only 4 please give us advice. When trying to get the wheel to move after it stopped our son was jerked and we are frustrated.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Jul 052007

I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber new. I started having front end "vibrations" almost immediately (when I drove out of the dealership after delivery) mainly from 60-70mph. Took it back to the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong. Took it back numerous times and was told once the tires were bad; I replaced them at my expense. Same problem. Took it back again and was told one of the rims was bent; I bought new rims (almost $1,000). Took it back again and was told the rims were bad again. Had the rims checked and they are perfectly round. Bought another set of tires (same as factory); same problem. I have 69,000 miles on my car and it still does the same thing. I guess I have to live with it since "it's my imagination."

- Rye, TX, USA

Dec 032008

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving 60 mph on the expressway, the contact suddenly lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle rolled over at least three to four times and landed upside down on its roof. The contact sustained injuries, although she was wearing her seat belt. There was no ice on the road and the pavement was dry at the time of the failure. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop by the insurance company. The manufacturer has not yet been notified. The failure mileage was 55,000. Updated 03-09-09 updated 03/13/09.

- Columbus, MI, USA