Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 162016

At less than 10 miles per hour the rear suspension failed while turning on to a public highway. The drivers side wheel on the back is ready to fall off it is laying against the coil spring. The car is no longer drivable. This is all within close proximity to the fuel tank also and in my opinion could be a puncture risk also. The car has 106779 miles on it, one owner with no collision repairs ever performed and no undercarriage damage ever. Chrysler is performing repairs on select vehicles with the same problem but refuse to repair this one. Had this failure occurred at highway speed it is possible the results could have been catastrophic. This vehicle is less than 9 years old and has seen very little winter weather and has never been in a salt air environment. I see no difference in this problem and the one associated with Toyota truck frames of several years ago. Please help before someone dies from this problem.

- Pikeville, KY, USA

Mar 292016

2007 Caliber. 30,068 miles on car and lower control arms are bad and need to be replaced. Noise in front end.mechanic said borderline failure

- Colonie, NY, USA

Jan 092016

Driving 15-20 mph in residential subdivision car veered radically to the right independent of steering striking parked vehicle. Right front tire turned right beyond maximum and is pinned against wheel well. Left front tire straight and aligned properly with steering wheel. Right tie rod bent 180 degrees with threaded portion bent parallel to it's self. Obvious catastrophic failure of steering/suspension on right front side of vehicle that had the failure occurred at highway speeds death of serious injury would likely have resulted. The vehicle is a one owner Dodge caliper with 33,827 miles, serviced regularly at fair oaks Dodge, chantilly

- Centreville, VA, USA

Nov 202015

Unable to steer after swerving to avoid a collision while in an interstate highway.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Nov 032015

Husband was driving our 2007 Dodge Caliber making a U-turn and noticed a jerk in the steering. Proceeded to drive to our complex as it was only two miles away. Made a second U-turn and same thing happened. Once in our complex and proceeded to go over the first speed bump. The car stopped with the front driver side dropped. He exited the car to see what happened and noticed the subframe had snappened in half and was rusted beyond extreme.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 052015

Sub frame was so rusted it affected the steering, motor mount collapsed into the sub frame, lower control arm was almost separated from the frame. I was traveling at about 65 mph on the N.Y. thruway when I started having problems with the steering. When I arrived home I investigated and found the car was so unsafe I couldn't drive it again until sub frame was replaced. I saved the frame that was removed from the vehicle if needed.

- Mahwah, NJ, USA

Oct 232015

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. While driving 55 mph, the horn independently activated and the steering wheel seized. All the warning lights on the instrument cluster illuminated and the gauges and meters provided inaccurate readings. The vehicle stalled as it veered into a ditch. In addition, the contact noticed smoke underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,023.

- St Augustine, FL, USA

Oct 012014

I bought this car used with a 90 day full warranty and 2 year power train. In the first 90 days I took the car back to Toyota used lot who in turn took it to Dodge to investigate the loose steering and also the stalling issues. Dodge repeatedly said nothing is wrong. To date, a year later, they wont fix the fuel pump which I have learned is a known issue on this model/year and causes stalling. I have stalled on the freeway and have children.... its very upsetting.

- Rising Sun, IN, USA

Sep 112015

The front cross member is rusted through so bad you can put your hand in side we bought the car last year. Now as we take it to the mechanics to get allignment he gave us the bad news about this. What I don't understand is why this most important part is rusted so bad while the parts around it isn't. I've got to come up with 1250 dollars for parts and labor. Why no recall on this there is no warning of this part fails and while we're driving and it breaks well. Crash and die. So Dodge this is what you do to your customers. I'm so what I can to get the word out.

- Wytheville , VA, USA

Aug 042015

Brakes on this vehicle are no good, very hard to stop. Ball joints no good steering on this vehicle is not safe either I have noticed all the recalls and complaints.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012009

At 132000 miles, I am replacing both control arms for the fourth time on my 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0L, no to mention the numerous cv boots and ball joints. With the numerous complaints I have seen online, it is surprising that no recall efforts (at least seemingly) have been made for such a dangerous and costly defect. I implore your company, please investigate the concerns and having Chrysler-Dodge fix their errors!!! even my mechanic informed me that the length of the arm is just short enough to create continual issues. This isn't right. As a result of so many repairs on this vehicle, I will never own a Chrysler-Dodge product again. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

May 012015

Front of vehicle started to shake and drivers side front made creaking noise. Took vehicle to dealer and they stated front struts and components were bad as well as drivers side ball joint. Vehicle was repaired however there is vibration in the steering and the vehicle pulls hard right. Also front end makes a lot of noise. Dealer performed front wheel alignment and balanced tires but problem is still there and mechanics can't find the issue. Vehicle is unsafe to drive and am very afraid to drive it especially since I'm disabled with young children. There are numerous complaints about the suspension issues with these cars and the problems need to be fixed before someone gets seriously injured or killed. Can't understand why nothing is being done after all of these complaints have been made by so many. This is why people don't buy american cars anymore. Foreign manufacturers will actually recall vehicles and stand behind their products.

- Putnam, CT, USA

May 192015

My wife was driving my car heard a squealing noise and could not control the car. The steering seemed very lose. She was by a garage and stopped and left the car there. Today they looked at the car and send the undercarriage was shot and could not be fixed.. can Chrysler be notified of this and should we get a second opinion? its a good thing this happened on a back road with no traffic or my wife could have been seriously injured.

- White Haven, PA, USA

Apr 222015

Driving normally on a town road and I heard a thud. Steering wheel jerked and came back to center. Car swerved into the oncoming traffic lane. Drove home at a steady crawl with front end shaking and feeling real loose. Checked my front end and could see my spring binding over the strut and strut mounts were squeaking and making noise while turning the steering wheel. Strut rods were stuck and would not compress. Ordered new struts and mounts. Will be replacing as soon as they come in. Glad this didn't happen on the highway and there were no cars coming in the oncoming lane or there would have been a serious crash.

- Putnam, CT, USA

Oct 112014

Caliber 4-cyl

My partner and I were at Firestone to have a oil change for our car done. One of the repair guys came out to tell us our tie rods on our car were lose and would need to be replaced soon. Our car has only a little over 61,000 miles on it. Tie rods on a car are usually replaced at 120,000 to 170,000 miles. We bought this car used at a Toyota dealership with only one previous owner. The carfax were provided and the previous owner babied the car. There were no previous car wrecks and we have had no car wrecks either. We are at a disbelief, as this serious of an issue on a car should not have to be replaced until it is expected. We take very good care of our car. We change the oil before it is due and regularly schedule check ups to make sure there are no major issues. Now we are taking our car in this weekend to get the tie rods done and to see if also control arms and ball joints need to be replaced. For tie rods to go out while driving is a serious issue. We could lose control of the car and hurt ourselves or someone else. This is a serious safety issue and Dodge has a responsibility to replace malfunctioning parts of the cars this is happening to. A tie rod should not go out on a car at 61,000 miles when the car is taken care of. I do not understand why a recall has not been in place and why Dodge has not come forward to be accountable for the issues. The tie rods will be costing us $400 dollars alone to replace and if ball joints and control arms need to be replaced well over $1,000 dollars for parts that are wearing out prematurely. If our mechanic had not caught the faulty parts my new wife and I might be lying in a hospital somewhere hurt or worse. As responsible owners we are having the parts replaced as soon as possible. If Dodge would have taken responsibility to have the parts replaced we wouldn't have to worry about our safety and others safety.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Sep 182014

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and the sub frame is so rusted through that it cracked while my son was driving it. Thankfully he was coming home and it happened couple minutes from home. I cannot believe a car, that is only 7 years old, can rust so severely in such a short period of time. I cannot believe Dodge has not issued a recall on this. What are they waiting for" are they waiting for enough people to get into accidents and possibly kill somebody, before the recall this manufacture defect" they must have some really good bean counters. When I started looking on the internet, I was shocked to see so many complaints from people with the exact same problem as I am having, and their cars were younger then mine. I was shocked to find out that there have not been any recalls issued for this.

- Macedonia, OH, USA

May 242007

Caliber 4WD 4-cyl

I've had numerous issues with the vehicle suspension since I purchased this vehicle brand new (a 2007( around thanksgiving 2006. The first issue involved the steering and was told that both front struts, control arms and outer tie rod ends would require replacement - at 6K miles! this repair also involved replacing the rear brake shoes. The steering was making a grinding noise when parking or parallel parking at very low speeds. I had this repair performed using parts I purchased myself and a local mechanic I found on craigslist who was willing to do the labor for about $300 including the necessary 4 wheel alignment. The parts cost about $500 or so. Another issue that has been present since I brought the car home has been this rattle and clunk in the rear suspension. It seems that nobody has been able to pinpoint what the exact problem may be. I replaced the rear shocks myself thinking that might be the problem, but it still makes this annoying noise. The car has no rear sway bar. I was told it's not a control issue and have "lived with it" as annoying as it is all these years. It seems it has not affected the vehicle control, but it's a nuissance. I'm getting ready to fix this problem myself as it must be the rear control arms or toe links. This always occurs while driving over an uneven surface like a gravel driveway or a very bumpy road. It also seems that the front tie rods appear to be in need of replacement yet again as I inpsected these myself and noted theres no boot on them and getting some steering noises again, including a clunk while steering or braking at very low speeds. Might need another set of control arms (not sure yet) really feel as if Dodge should address and acknowledge this as a defect and pay for these repairs - as I've been reading here and on plenty of Caliber forums I'm definitely not the only one who's had these exact problems.

- Hopatcong, NJ, USA

Aug 062009

Caliber 4-cyl

Bought car new in 2007, since that time have had to have left tie rod replaced 5 times, most recent being this month (6th time), previous 3 months prior. This is an ongoing problem, but there has been no recall on this car, I have called Chrysler and reported it. They did reimburse me a couple years ago for parts for the previous three times it had to be replaced. There is no warning when the tie rod goes, it has been found on my yearly inspections. I am worried that the steering will go someday when I am driving and there will be an accident, which keeps me on edge whenever I drive it; there is 80,256 miles on it, I don't abuse it by any means.

- Malone, NY, USA

Jul 152014

The car would not start (lights worked, but engine would not turn over). After replacing the throttle cable and box, as well as some broken wiring, the car still would not start. The mechanic then towed the vehicle to a Dodge dealership, where the computer was reset. The car ran for another week after it was first "fixed, " and then again did not start (same problem as before). Additionally, the light to indicate that the air bags were not functioning turned on prior to the vehicle not starting. This is more frustrating because we have had extensive issues with this car (replaced all tie rods, bushings, control arms, have a broken door from the hinge breaking, and had multiple tires wearing unevenly due to the car's suspension problems) already, and have sunk well over $6000 in repairs this year alone.

- Stony Creek, NY, USA

Jul 252014

Caliber 4-cyl

Have had sporadic electrical issues for the last few years, chalked it up to normal wear & tear. After looking at other testimonies online, beginning to realize the issues I've had are similar to those of other Caliber owners. Just replaced the alternator in June 2014 and now car is shutting off while driving down the road. Check engine light has been on for 3 weeks and will randomly not be on for a series of drives only to come back on again. Dashboard lights do not come on all the time, I'd say more often than not night driving is done with no dashboard lights. I change headlights & taillights frequently. About to head to autozone now to have it hooked up to diagnostic machine to see if any codes come up for check engine light. Chrysler needs to do a recall asap or there will be several peoples lives at risk, including my entire family seeing as how this is our main vehicle.

- Rockton, IL, USA