CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jan 142009

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph the vehicle started to emit a loud sound from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the bearings were defective and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Levittown , PA, USA

Nov 102010

Caliber 4-cyl

I had to have the whole front end of the vehicle replaced at about 36,000 miles, tie rod ends, ball joints, and lower control arms. Now only 1.5 years later (at 53,000 miles) one of the control arms is bad again. I'm not sure why all of these parts have such a high failure rate but from doing research on the internet and talking to other Caliber owners this seems to be a very widespread problem that is happening at very low mileage. Eventually somebody is going to get hurt driving one of these things when the steering goes out. I have talked to Chrysler people about the problem but they of course don't want to admit any fault and instead imply that you may have caused the problem yourself due to your driving habits.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Apr 242012

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for routine maintenance when the technician detected that the front brake rotors exhibited severe rust and corrosion. The shims, front brakes and rotors were replaced. In addition, the inner tie rods loosened from the steering rack and the front control arm bushing separated. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 23,167. Updated 06/05/12 the consumer stated that Chrysler has since repaired the vehicle. Updated 06/06/12

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Apr 292011

Caliber

The vehicle had a failure of the front end parts, tie rod ends, ball joints. Paid to have it repaired last year and now it has happened again, only this time both sides. I now have 85,000 miles on the vehicle. This is just ridiculous. There should be a recall on this product.

- Woodridge, NY, USA

Jun 302011

Caliber 4-cyl

May 2011 heard a clunking noise. 48000 miles on 2007 Dodge Caliber. Had it checked out and ball joint and control arm needed replaced and 4 new tires that were worn from the vehicle alignment caused from these issues. Now March 2012, we had issues with squeaking noise on left side and had it checked out. Hot burning smell noticed and had broken coil spring and strut that we're causing wear on tire. We will never by a Dodge again!

- Clinton, IA, USA

Mar 072012

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving 3 mph and attempting a left turn, the front driver side wheel malfunctioned and caused the front axle to bend abnormally. The contact had the vehicle towed to a local mechanic where the mechanic replaced the front axle and bearings. The failure mileage was 60,569.

- Stoughton, WI, USA

Mar 062012

Caliber

Noticed that the front tires on the vehicle were worn down to the steel radial only on the inside edge, all the way to the steel radial, even though the tires were only a year old. Took it to the shop and found out the ball joint and front control arms needed to be replaced. Auto shop said we were fortunate that we noticed the problem, and suggested not driving any further until it was fixed. Also told us they had two other Calibers this year with same problem. We took the car to the dealership and they confirmed the problem and want to charge $1400 to fix and replace our relatively new tires. Upon researching many owners have had this same problem. Just grateful that we found the problem while parked and before the tires blew on the highway or suspension became even looser.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Mar 022012

Caliber 4-cyl

My sisters 2007 Dodge Caliber only has only 32236 miles on it and the ball joints need replaced already, it cost 800 dollars to replace them, I looked on line and everybody that has a 2007 Caliber is having the same problem there should be a recall on the ball joints, just look on line and U will see how many people are having trouble with the ball joints, how many complaints does it take to have a recall done, thank you for your time, please just E mail me back thank you.

- Harmony, PA, USA

Mar 052012

Caliber

Reversed out of parking spot put car in drive and nothing happened. Turns out my tie rod and ball joints on passenger side basically fell apart. Garage said other side is just about ready to go too. Thankfully I was only pulling out of a parking spot...5 minutes later and I could have been wrapped around a telephone pole. Been looking online to find many people also have had this problem. This should really be looked into further!

- Watervliet, NY, USA

Jan 242012

Caliber

These cars are dangerous for people to be driving on the highlway. Dodge knows the control arms are defective and they should be made to do a recall on these cars. Luckily, I have not had a wreck in this. Vehicle. If the control arms break while driving, it will be very bad. There are so many complaints on-line about these cars, I am shocked nobody has made Dodge do something about this problem.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 272011

Caliber

Front lower ball joints are completely shot. Found this out when I got tires fixes- car only has 52,000 miles- I am a very good driver making sure that I watch out for all road conditions.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Nov 292011

Caliber

My 2007 Dodge Caliber recently started making a clunking noise on the front when going over speed bumps and things like that. I took it to a shop and am being told the ball joints are bad and I have to replace control arms along with ball joints because they are attached to each other. I only have 45000 miles on the car this is outrageous. I hope my extended warranty will cover the repair. I am just glad that my wife was not in the car with our baby when the ball joints failed and got them into a serious wreck. It is too bad that things like that have to happen hundreds or thousands of times before a recall is done. This requires a recall! manufacturer defect!

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

Nov 272011

Caliber

I have a Dodge 2007 Caliber SXT 2.0 L bought from dealer in May 2011 has approx. 57,250 miles on it. I have replaced two front tires only to find out lower ball joints/control arms and tie rod ends need replacing. At 57K miles?! that's absurd and if you look on autobeef.com it is an ongoing/recurring issue with this make and model. Dodge will refuse to do anything about it and will not accept responsibility for this problem. Something must be done, I will fight until my voice is heard, this is a major safety hazard and something needs to be done about it. If anyone cares please help me with my fight against Dodge/Chrysler. They need to take ownership.

- Munster, IN, USA

Feb 212011

Caliber 4-cyl

Vehicle was purchased new, and at 29K service dealer replaced tie rod end at our expense said to be out of warranty. 4 new tires were put on the car and an alignment could not be done because of excessive play in front end. Car was brought back to dealer and it found that the lower ball joint was severely worn to the point where it was almost falling out of the car. This also was replaced at our cost.with 6 months gone by and 6000 miles we were told that the other tie rod was bad and the car was unsafe to drive but that they could not repair it at this time. We then called Chrysler and they said the would work with the dealer but we would have to pay to get this fixed also. When we brought the car back to the dealer again they again found that the ball joint was bad also. This all comes after the car goes out of warranty and we have been complaining about the front end almost every time we bring it in for the oil change. It was stated by the service manager that the reason for this was the bad driving habits of the owner. And this was also the same reasoning behind all the other Calibers with the same issue. When questioned why they did not find this earlier and why the fill out a special checklist that includes steering and suspension, it was stated that this inspection is only a visual inspection, and that if I had noticed that the report form point to the actual steering wheel not the steering components.

- Windsor Locks , CT, USA

Nov 012011

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the vehicle was being service for routine maintenance when he was advised that the front ball joints on each side were fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that a recall would be issued for the failure in the near future. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Leominster, MA, USA

Nov 012009

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the steering wheel would pull to the right and left erroneously and was causing the tires to wear prematurely. The dealer was notified of the failure and attempted to repair the steering defect, but the failure recurred. A local mechanic replaced the lower arm control. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Draper, VA, USA

Aug 232011

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge caliper. The contact stated that the front ball joints failed, causing the front end of the vehicle to bounce when being driven. The contact stated that the front tie rods were replaced a year prior to the most recent failure. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 42,000.

- Eaton, OH, USA

Oct 132011

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. During a failed inspection, the contact stated that the engine light illuminated on the instrument panel of the vehicle. Also, the vehicle would wobble while driving at normal speeds. A local mechanic diagnosed the vehicle as needing new struts. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 98,401.

- Humble, TX, USA

Dec 312010

Caliber

Premature upper and lower ball joint failure. Parts are plastic and cannot be maintained. Wheels travel and very hard to control. Almost created an accident when passing. Car jumped to one side (pulled severely). This model needs to be recalled. Check all the websites out there with complaints about this problem. Some cars it is failing as early as 18,000 miles.

- Peru, IL, USA

Jul 252011

Caliber

Fuel tank overflows every time I fill tank spraying gasoline all over car and on me. I do not ever "top off" my car. This happens at every gas station. Also tie rods have had to been replaced multiple times due to premature wear. Chrysler does not want to address these problems with me and tell me not to fill up my tank all the way, and that it's normal for tierods to have to be replaced three times in under 35K miles.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA