2008 Dodge Caliber engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 022016

I bought my car in 2009, ran great at first until I hit over 100 thousand miles. I was on my way out of town to see a family member in the hospital. It was 80 degrees out and my car just slowed down on the highway and came to a stop. I thought it overheated so I waited about 30 mins and started it up again. Today I was at the Dodge dealership to have them look at it, to find out why the passenger side front tire was making a noise(like it was going to fall off). They told me it was the controll arm and that I needed to replace it. Apparently I'm not the only one having these issues. Where's the recall Dodge?

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jan 042016

My car is well maintained. I have it serviced every 3000 miles and have the records to prove it. I had the rusted frame replaced this passed August after my mechanic noticed the corroded frame. I have had almost all of the other problems listed and replaced on my car. I started hearing an odd noise while driving on the highway, and took the car in to my mechanic who replaced a pulley. The car continued to make the noise all the time while driving and I brought it back in for servicing. My mechanic could find nothing wrong. He told me to just drive it til something happened. The electronic throttle control light came on one night driving home on the highway from grocery shopping. The light came on flashing, the car started bucking, the car would not accelerate. I was able to pull the car off the road and had it towed to my mechanic. My mechanic put in a new alternator at a cost of $650. A week later my husband drove 6 miles and the light came on. He came back home and called our mechanic. He advised to let the car stall out and it would record on the log. Next day same thing, I let it stall out. Took car in. He cannot find anything wrong. Says it will be $500 at the Dodge dealer just for the etc part. This is a known documented defect with the electrical system. Why is Dodge not accountable for this problem" why hasn't there been a recall? why isn't anyone concerned about all of the safety issues with this defective Dodge Caliber" this car is a huge safety risk to all drivers on the road. Please do something before someone gets killed.

- Hunter River, NJ, USA

Dec 062015

I can drive the car but can't speed up or engine light will flash. If I'm at a stop light too long my car will stall while engine light is flashing and can't turn over engine right away.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 212015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated the engine cradle rusted out. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Noted mounts rust and I almost lost the engine thanks to a due inspection I was save a bad accident. The 2007 Dodge is covered but not the 2008.

- Oswegatchie, NY, USA

Aug 262015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 35 mph, a loud noise emitted from the front of the vehicle. In addition, when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle veered to the left. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the engine cradle was rusted and caused the engine to shift into a lower position. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Tarentum, PA, USA

Jun 302015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle inadvertently turned the steering wheel to the left and right. The contact also stated that the failure occurred while braking. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the case frame of the engine and the control arm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Rome, NY, USA

Apr 052015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. While having maintenance performed at the dealer, the technician diagnosed that the engine cradle was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Deerfield, NY, USA

Apr 172015

Caliber 4-cyl

While traveling at 45 mph on 6 lane highway engine decelerated to between 5 to 10 miles per hour. Engine begun to idle very rough. I was approaching a side street and was able to turn off the main hwy. To access the problem. The electronic throttle light had come on indicating a problem with the throttle system.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Feb 192015

I was driving my 2008 Dodge Caliber in February 2015 traveling roughly 45 mph when suddenly the battery light and all dash lights began to come on and flash. I was able (just barely) to avoid a head on collision with another vehicle and parked the car; in the previous 30 days I had several repairs made that included the alternator and batter, et cetera. Vehicle was towed to the repairing shop where a new alternator and battery were installed, then tonight 20150411 the batter light has again come on with fluctuating speeds. I have researched and read about multiple problems with the Dodge Caliber regarding the tipms system or such; the fact that the Chrysler corporation has been able to consistently fail to make the required repairs to these vehicles is atrocious. The lives of other vehicle operators are being put at risk; I'm certain that something more should be done.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Feb 112015

As I was attempting to merge onto the cross county pwy East a lighting bolt appeared on my cluster panel. The car began to misfire and I could not speed up cars swerved to avoid crashing into me. Pretty scary!

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Apr 282014

Caliber 4-cyl

For three sudden engine failures: 1) approximately April 16, 2014 noticed some of the dashboard warning lights blinked a little. Stopped at a traffic light it turned green stepped on the gas, the car jumped and stalled in traffic. Was able to restart the car and go about a 100 yards into a side street. Was met by local police. Got tow truck and had it towed to the local Chrysler dealer. After the car was repaired drove out of the dealer but noticed that a dashboard warning light was on. 2) approximately May 2, 2014 the dashboard warning lights blinked again but the car kept running. Drove to my destination. When I returned to my car, turned on the ignition key it would not start again not even to crank the motor. Got tow truck and towed it back to the Chrysler dealer. After the car was repaired, the warning lights were double checked, then drove out of the dealer. 3) approximately May 20, 2014 was going down hill hit a small bump causing dashboard warning lights to go on the car stalled, rolled the rest of the way down hill and pushed it into my driveway. I tried myself to fix it. Pulled off the main fuze cover and pulled out some fuzes this brought back some power to restart the car. The fuzes were apparently to the air bags but gave enough power to make the engine run. Made an appointment with an electrical repair specialist. Drove it to there lot. Was asked detailed questions on how I got there. The car was repaired but with problems, the electrical system is not protected in the front of the car and was advised to get a splash guard. But went to the Chrysler dealer parts department. Found that it wouldn't do much good and none exist to completely protect it. The car runs fine now but hazardous. I believe I shouldn't be paying repair bills for this fault.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Nov 122014

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 3/12/15 the consumer stated while driving around 25 mph, when suddenly the vehicle started to vibrate uncontrollably, lost power and the electronic throttle control light illuminated. He shut the vehicle down and eventually re-started it. The consumer experienced the issued two more times. Updated 04/02/15

- Lakewales, FL, USA

Dec 022014

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while having maintenance performed, the technician noticed that the engine cradle was corroded and holes had developed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,607.

- Norwich, NY, USA

Sep 112014

Caliber 4-cyl

I was stopped in traffic at a red light, train was coming so I was holding my brakes. It felt as if the car was jerking forward not with alot of power but enough for me to notice. I look at my dash and I noticed that a redlight that seem to be red lighting bolts was on. I immediately pull my car out of traffic. While trying to get the car out of the road I notice it was slowly accelerating my car didn't go pass 20mph. I parked the car and waited to see if I could just try to drive it home which was only 1.5 miles at the most away. I had no issues besides the car wouldn't go pass 20mph and when it stalled it seemed as if it would jerk forward, while driving the car home. Before that day I had no issues.

- Tupleo, MS, USA

May 122014

First time Dodge owner and never I was driving at 45 mph first my battery light came on then 10 seconds later all the panel lights came in car lost all power but never shut down I pulled off 6 lane intersection to a safe location and turned car off and it would not start back I wait 2 hrs in 90degree heat 6 months pregnant for a tow truck I call Dodge dealer and they said 160 to look at it but sounds like fuse box or something like that. Said typical in these cars so I just had the car towed home because I can't afford to dish out all kinds of money. Just under a year ago I replaced the alternator and battery again not cheap.... nothing but problems with this car and as soon as I am able I am getting rid of it.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 062014

While driving my children to school, my car began shutting down on a major road putting mychildren and myself in danger. The throttle control light came on. After turning the car off and waiting a couple of minutes I was able to drive extremely slow to ge them to school safely. This sounds similar to the same problems currently happening with the Chevy cobalts. Is it going to take Chrysler/Dodge killing people before this gets recalled? I encourage everyone to contact their local news stations along with national news stations! car companies are only interested in making their money and not looking at the safety issues of the death traps they are selling to consumers. I will be endlessly pursuing this matter until Dodge steps up and pay for the repair! I will call every news station until some attention is brought to this matter and holding car companies like Dodge/Chrysler responsible for selling and manufacturing faulty vehicles. I have gone through all complaints listed on this site and numerous others. Someone is not doing their job!

- Waco , TX, USA

Feb 212013

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The stated that the engine stalled with the illumination of the engine and electronic throttle control warning indicators while attempting to accelerate from a complete stop. The engine restarted and the vehicle resumed normally after several minutes however, the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who reprogrammed the electronic throttle control and engine control module. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. The vehicle had not been further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Feb 052014

Caliber 4-cyl

TL - the contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 95,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 252014

Driving vehicle on main road approx 40mph.. electronic throttle body indicator flashed, vehicle immediately lost power.. had to pull over for safety reasons.. vehicle "bucked" with a rough idle.. turned the vehicle off, restarted ; all seemed ok. This scenario occurred multiple times each time on the road disabling power and unexpected, local mechanic replaced spark plugs and coil packs.. the vehicle started but few days passed, again the etc indicator came on, immediately losing power, bucking on a highway / biway 45 mph, pulled over shoulder.. restarted approx 15 min later all seemed ok.. the latest occurrence and most impacted., vehicle will not go beyond 10 mph, no power, bucking.. phoned dealership.. etc is on back order and not enough parts available to fill outstanding log of B/O.. (region is out of stock ) phoned Chrysler addressed issue is multiple across forums and suggested recall.. this issue is a safety concern and costly when codes are not accurate( misfire ignition coils, catalyst below threshold, overheated O2 sensor, never indicating relating to faulty etc.. but the dealership wouldn't order so many nor would they be out I stock and back ordered if this wasn't "recall worthy" Chrysler was helpful in assisting and hopefully they will expedite part and all will be well..

- Schenectady, NY, USA