2.3

2008 Dodge Caliber miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Sep 062016

Caliber

I did some work on the front end, I replaced tierod end and ball joints, also put new tires on the car. I was scheduling an alignment when the front would make a pop sound and a slight snap when going over bumps and when the steering wheel is turned to the left. I looked to see what the matter was and the sub frame was cracked and rusted...I wash the car 2 a month especially in winter. The sub frame also connects the swaybar, struts and it cant get aligned due to the broken frame.. all too prematurely.

- Cornish, ME, USA

Aug 192016

Caliber

Driving down the road and making a righthand turn, I heard a loud pop then the car started pulling hard to the right. I had to decrease my speed to 25 mph due to the severe pulling. Had dad look at car and found the sub frame was cracked in half on drivers side. The car has not moved at all since that was found. My 3 year old daughter is often in this vehicle!

- Mentor, OH, USA

May 252016

Caliber

Sub frame completely rusted out, heard a clunking noise coming from front when going over bumps, took it to my mechanic and told me I was lucky the front of the car didn't fall off as the crossmember was splitting at the seam, car has less than 70,000 miles on it !

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Caliber

My subframe is rusted almost completely in half, I can not drive my vehicle the dealer says the ac drips right on that frame and that's why it is rusted out.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Apr 012016

Caliber

Intake manifold runner, alternator, and light on inside on and off or stay on to long. Time period 2010-2016

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 032016

Front and rear cradle is very rusty needs to be replaced asap, $1541.70

- Midland, MI, USA

Aug 172015

Caliber

The engine cradle was completely corroded and had to be replaced, along with the attached lower control arms w/ ball joints. This cost $1,800. There was a recall on the 2007 model. Mechanic said that it was so corroded that it was a miracle that it hadn't broken. The car had about 57,625 miles on it at the time.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 262015

Caliber

Had the vehicle in for replacement of a rear wheel bearing and the shop informed me that the subframe is nearly in need of replacement. The 2007 Dodge Caliber subframe coverage was extended to 10 years, but not for the 2008. Vehicle had approximately 135,000 miles at time of inspection.

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Nov 302015

Caliber

Front K-frame cross member rusted out. Extended warranty available and problem acknowledged through 2007 models. However, it was obviously not resolved by 2008. Significant safety issue as driver would not be able to control the vehicle when this part fails. Dodge will not warranty. Pix attached

- Fairport, NY, USA

May 202015

Caliber

Pulled car out of driveway noticed to go straight steering wheel was at 10 O'clock position and when I hit a bump felt like there was no suspension. Had it towed in to be checked. Sub frame had completely rusted through and was detached.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

May 112015

Caliber

The sub frame of this vehicle is rusted out and needs replacing. There was a recall on the 2007 model but none for the 2008. The vehicle was manufactured in February 2008 and, most likely, was made with faulty 2007 parts. Calls made to Chrysler-Dodge resulted in them saying this is my problem and I have to pay for a replacement sub frame which will cost approximately $1000. In addition, a year ago, the front bumper had to be repainted due to sub par paint job by the manufacturer.

- Olean, NY, USA

Aug 082010

Caliber

When turning over the key to start the vehicle, nothing would happen. Turning back the key and trying again would typically result in the car starting. After 2-3 months of this intermittent behavior, the vehicle also began to act as if the key was in the ignition after it was removed (it would ding when the door was opened and not allow me to lock my doors).

- Girard, KS, USA