2008 Dodge Caliber steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 062016

I did some work on the front end, I replaced tierod end and ball joints, also put new tires on the car. I was scheduling an alignment when the front would make a pop sound and a slight snap when going over bumps and when the steering wheel is turned to the left. I looked to see what the matter was and the sub frame was cracked and rusted...I wash the car 2 a month especially in winter. The sub frame also connects the swaybar, struts and it cant get aligned due to the broken frame.. all too prematurely.

- Cornish, ME, USA

Jul 062016

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber garage kept 49000 miles with a rusted busted frame. Didn't realize until knocking in front end. Always done repairs and recalls and this is dangerous. Called to request Chrysler to be accountable and they basically told me its my problem. Where do you go from here in liability.

- Homer Glen, IL, USA

Feb 052016

Rotten subframe - my control arm separated from the frame and my tire/wheel went sideways causing me to screech to a stop, luckily I was coming to a stop anyway but it easily could have happened at a high speed and killed myself and others

- N. Waterford, ME, USA

Aug 172015

The engine cradle was completely corroded and had to be replaced, along with the attached lower control arms w/ ball joints. This cost $1,800. There was a recall on the 2007 model. Mechanic said that it was so corroded that it was a miracle that it hadn't broken. The car had about 57,625 miles on it at the time.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 052016

Took my 2008 Dodge Caliber to the dealership for an oil change, was told by the service rep that my front cross member needs replaced due to substantial rust through and that to continue to drive the vehicle could be dangerous because if this part broke, all steering control would be lost. Was told the 2007 model year Calibers had the warranty extended to 10 years for the same issue, but that no 2008S were affected. Was told it would be $1094 plus tax to replace this part. This part is a structural member and should never rust through in such a short period of time. No other substantial rust on the vehicle including the undercarriage. This vehicle has been well maintained and cleaned regularly. Called Dodge customer care and was told that there is nothing they would do as the extended warranty applied only to 2007 Calibers.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Feb 112015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph around a curve, there was a slight loss of steering control. In addition, the failure occurred when making turns. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The mechanic informed that the rear cross member assembly exhibited rust corrosion. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Burton, MI, USA

Aug 012015

Found that the engine cradle is rusting out. This cradle supports all steering front suspension and engine/transmission. Have also found that this was a problem for the 2007 models and is still a problem on 2008 models. Although 2007 models are recalled and replaced but not 2008. This is a huge safety factor as stated all steering and suspension are connected to this cradle. If failure to cradle happens all loss of control of vehicle is inevitable.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Jul 072015

The first day I bought the car I notice the jerking back and forth on the accelerator about 30 miles an hour or so and it also has a bad vibration soon as you start the motor and lot of play in the steering wheel column like the steering wheel is not bolted down is stalled on me about 5-6 times as it was jerking back and forth and when I go over potholes in the road or a small bump it clunks in the front and like the struts are loose

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 202015

I bought my 2008 Dodge Caliber in July 2010. It had 27,000 miles on it. It was a campaign car. It has always had a problem with pickup. Acceleration is not great, but we noticed on a July 4 trip, that the car was not only making the "normal" steering/suspension noise, but it was also making a whirring noise that my husband feared was the transmission slipping. I made an appointment at the dealership where I bought the vehicle and found out that the whirring noise was not the transmission, but the alternator is bad. $550. The ball joints and the tie rod ends are bad and need to be replaced, $1040. The struts also need to be replaced as well as the front brakes. $800. Yes, my car has 110,000 miles on it, but the trade in value is only about $3500 anyway. Its luckily been paid off for many years. The ball joint/tie rod issue is very worrysome, though. It is dangerous.

- Paris, IL, USA

Jun 092015

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber we bought it in April 2013 and about every 5-6 months we have to replace struts, ball joints, etc. Plus have the sway bar worked on that often as well..... Dodge needs to recall all these cars with this defect and we have problems with alignments... these cars are very high maintenance because they are so defected and no one can afford to replace all this and keep their cars in shops every 5-6 months... please Dodge do something about all of this...

- Opelika, AL, USA

Feb 032015

Caliber 4-cyl

A technician stated front cradle (connects steering, suspension, etc parts) is rotted & requires replacement. Called Chrysler (800-247-9763) and inquired about Chrysler action # 23-012-14, they stated they extend warranty for repairs on 2007's but would not cover my 2008 Dodge caliper. This issue is a serious safety concern. The car is in good shape & I feel this is defective product and should be covered by Chrysler/Dodge. I need assistance in having this very expensive repair covered in full.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Apr 252015

Caliber 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber. I wash and maintain it on a regular basis. This car has a terrible suspension since it was new, I have had to replace both front control arms because of the rear bushings and loose ball joints, one at 32,000 miles. Both rear upper control arms and rear links. It is an alignment nightmare. I took it to the local garage for an alignment after I changed some parts this morning and the back of the subframe is rotted out. The car isn't 6 years old and the body still looks great. I called Dodge and they said they have never heard of this problem and wouldn't commit to a bulletin #23-012-14, that covered 2007.

- Wickliffe, OH, USA

Aug 252014

Caliber 4-cyl

When I got an oil change, the mechanic did an inspection and said the ball joints and tie rods should be replaced as they were showing wear and play. When he let the car down and saw the mileage was 26,700 he said that the parts should not have gone bad unless I was off roading the car. The car is driven 4 miles round trip on paved maintained roads daily at 30 mph. And on occasionally at expressway speeds of 55mph. I took it to the Dodge dealer who said there is no recall or known complaints on this vehicle. I bought the car new in 2007 when they came out.

- Darien, IL, USA

Jul 082014

My vehicle won't stay aligned. And now it has a bad jerk in it. You can be going 10 mph or 50 mph and it still jerks you to the left. You can feel it in the steering wheel. We have put new tires on it so many times. We have bought tierods for it and nothing seems to be helping it.

- Paynesville, WV, USA

Aug 012013

Caliber 4-cyl

Failure of both front lower ball joints. Caused pulling while drive and turning.

- Freeport, PA, USA

Jun 122012

Left and right ball joints worn and had to be replaced. This caused excessive play in the streeing.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Apr 012013

Caliber 4-cyl

I was making a turn and the passenger side tie rod broke. This is the third time I have had to replace a tie rod. Thank god my kids were not in the car or I wasn't on the highway. When is some gonna do something about this. People have had more than one bad experience with this. Dodge needs to step up and fix these cars!! this will B the last Dodge I ever buy.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Mar 072012

Caliber 4-cyl

I was on the highway on my way to work, and I went to change from the left to the middle lane and the car kept on going pass the middle lane and toward the wall in the right lane. Thank god the lanes had enough clearly between and I was able to gain control and straigtened out the wheels without crashing into other cars and before I hit the wall. I took it to my mechainic and he changed the tire rod on the driver left side wheel. This same tire rod was changed approximately six months prior to this incident. Another scary experience I have endured with this car, which could have been fatal for myself as well as others. I have had four incidents with this car already, I am very scared to drive it. I brought this car in August of 2009, I am still making payments on it, and still have to take out of pocket expense for its' faulty workmanship. Today is February 11, 2013 and I am ready to get rid of it...after this I will never buy another Dodge made car.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 232012

Caliber 4-cyl

At 41000 miles, our 4 year old vehicle, should not have needed new ball joints. Research tells me Dodge has been very aware of a problem for years, but have not done any type of a recall. All I can say is thank god we found the problem before we went to the mountains.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 222012

Caliber 4-cyl

The ball joints have prematurely worn out on our 2008 Dodge Caliber. At 40,000 miles I also had to replace the tie rod ends and the brake pads.

- Findlay, OH, USA