2008 Dodge Caliber suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Caliber:

2008 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 042016

My car started making a clunking noise from the front end. The noise happened when turning left and right, then happened just driving the car at all. Mechanic showed me that the subframe is completely rusted through prematurely. Very dangerous to drive! mileage is 114,000. I called Chrysler to see if the recall they had out for 2005-2007 Calibers on the same part would cover mine. They extended the warranty for 10 more years on those year cars.they refused to add the 2008 models even though there are plenty of complaints.this is going to cost me close to $1600 and a week in the repair shop.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Sep 012016

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. After the vehicle underwent a routine oil change and tune up, the vehicle made an abnormal noise when the brake pedal was depressed. The dealer was notified of the failure more than once and provided no solution. In addition, when driving over un-leveled land, the vehicle continued to make an abnormal noise and the suspension was unstable from the front to the rear. The contact was unable to determine if the dealer would provide a remedy. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Calumet City, IL, USA

Aug 122016

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. While driving 40-45 mph, the lower A-arm on the front passenger side separated from the subframe of the vehicle. The contact stated that the sub frame showed excessive corrosion. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Sep 062016

I did some work on the front end, I replaced tierod end and ball joints, also put new tires on the car. I was scheduling an alignment when the front would make a pop sound and a slight snap when going over bumps and when the steering wheel is turned to the left. I looked to see what the matter was and the sub frame was cracked and rusted...I wash the car 2 a month especially in winter. The sub frame also connects the swaybar, struts and it cant get aligned due to the broken frame.. all too prematurely.

- Cornish, ME, USA

Sep 042016

Just took my 2008 Dodge Caliber to mylocal Firestone. The car was making noises under the car when going over bumbs, so I thought I needed shocks. When they put the car up to look at it they had tio call me in to look at a rusted out lower carriage that was starting to fall apart. They said it should not even be driven. Since there is only a five year warranty on this model, and only the 2007's were covered under a recall, I will have to get repaired on my own. The tow truck is coming today to take to a local repair shop. Cannot believe with the complaints on this web page, that Dodge will not cover this replacement.

- Rolling Meadows, IL, USA

Aug 272016

I just took my 2008 Dodge Caliber to get inspected and it will not pass due to a rusted out subframe. I was told it is extremely expensive to get repaired and is very time consuming. This is a big safety hazard and I was told not to drive it much longer. Is there any way this is covered under recalls as the 2007 is. If not, is there some sort of warranty that takes care of this?

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 082016

Car started making clunking noise when turning left. Schedule car for inspection at a dealership. 3 days before inspection loss of (drive) power light went on. Took it in early. Informed that I had a rusted out engine cradle and repairs would cost $1400 (this does include a deductible and front end alignment due to suspension repairs). Had max care warranty and was informed that Chrysler would not cover the engin cradle. That part has to be replaced to do any other repairs. Looking at site, this is a big issue and some other model years have been recalled for similar at dealership now waiting on parts. From other comments, this issue makes the vehicle unsafe to drive.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Aug 022016

Took in my 2008 Caliber for an inspection and it wouldn't pass due to a corroded, rusted subframe. The rust has occurred because the ac drips onto sub frame. Called dealership and Chrysler and they are refusing to do anything about this issue. I have 65,000 on this vehicle. It is well cared for also

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 212016

My 2008 Dodge Caliber is garage kept and has 92,000 miles. It is well maintained and taken care of. I took it for an oil change and the service man told me that the subframe is rotted through and it is dangerous to drive. I was totally surprised and took it to tyson Dodge in shorewood Illinois. They informed me that this is not covered. They told me to call Chrysler. I called them and they said that even though it's unusual for that part to rust quickly, there was a recall on that part for the 2007 Caliber and not 2008. They could not help me. Tyson Dodge also said I need a right control arm. Total to fix it-$1700. Unbelievable! saw many complaints on line!

- Lockport, IL, USA

May 312016

Front subframe of my 2008 Dodge Caliber was rusted through at the horizontal factory self causing the vehicle to fail the annual state inspection. Issue was found by an independent mechanic during routine state inspection. Vehicle has 103,000 miles. Lower subframe failure also has been accompanied by excess noise coming from the front of the vehicle.

- Chambersburg, PA, USA

May 062016

While having car inspected for front end noise the mechanic found a large hole in the front sub-frame and that the entire front suspension needed to be replaced. He told us that he believed there was a recall on the sub-frame so we decide we would use the recall to replace it and just pay for the repairs on the suspension. Found out that only the 2007 Calibers have the sub-frame/crossmember recalled! it seems that the same part was used in both years and the 2008's should be recalled as well. Dodge needs to do something about this before someone is seriously hurt and they become liable.

- Barrie, OK, USA

Apr 262016

Vehicle was at dealership for state inspection. I was informed that the subframe would have to be replaced because of corrosion and fractures.

- Spencerport, NY, USA

Apr 212016

The crossmember/sub floor in my 2008 Dodge Caliber is so abnormally rusted that it is literally a deathtrap. The car has 120K miles on it. I took it to get new tires on it and the mechanic recommended that I junk the car as the entire subfloor is severely rotted away. I searched to see if there is a recall and found out that only the 2007 model has a recall for this issue. I would argue that they used the same defective parts in my 2008 model. This is very disturbing.

- Alpha, NJ, USA

Jun 152015

Caliber 4-cyl

2008 Dodge Caliber. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle repair work necessary to pass state inspection. Consumer states repairs should have been covered under previous year model vehicle recall notice. According to the invoice, the front cradle was rusted.

- New Bethlehem, PA, USA

Mar 022016

I bought my car in 2009, ran great at first until I hit over 100 thousand miles. I was on my way out of town to see a family member in the hospital. It was 80 degrees out and my car just slowed down on the highway and came to a stop. I thought it overheated so I waited about 30 mins and started it up again. Today I was at the Dodge dealership to have them look at it, to find out why the passenger side front tire was making a noise(like it was going to fall off). They told me it was the controll arm and that I needed to replace it. Apparently I'm not the only one having these issues. Where's the recall Dodge?

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Feb 052016

Rotten subframe - my control arm separated from the frame and my tire/wheel went sideways causing me to screech to a stop, luckily I was coming to a stop anyway but it easily could have happened at a high speed and killed myself and others

- N. Waterford, ME, USA

Aug 172015

The engine cradle was completely corroded and had to be replaced, along with the attached lower control arms w/ ball joints. This cost $1,800. There was a recall on the 2007 model. Mechanic said that it was so corroded that it was a miracle that it hadn't broken. The car had about 57,625 miles on it at the time.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 052016

Took my 2008 Dodge Caliber to the dealership for an oil change, was told by the service rep that my front cross member needs replaced due to substantial rust through and that to continue to drive the vehicle could be dangerous because if this part broke, all steering control would be lost. Was told the 2007 model year Calibers had the warranty extended to 10 years for the same issue, but that no 2008S were affected. Was told it would be $1094 plus tax to replace this part. This part is a structural member and should never rust through in such a short period of time. No other substantial rust on the vehicle including the undercarriage. This vehicle has been well maintained and cleaned regularly. Called Dodge customer care and was told that there is nothing they would do as the extended warranty applied only to 2007 Calibers.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Dec 262015

Had the vehicle in for replacement of a rear wheel bearing and the shop informed me that the subframe is nearly in need of replacement. The 2007 Dodge Caliber subframe coverage was extended to 10 years, but not for the 2008. Vehicle had approximately 135,000 miles at time of inspection.

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Dec 162015

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated while reversing out of a parking space, there was an abnormal noise coming from the front of the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the sub frame fractured in half. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the tie rods, the shocks and the sub frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Hilton, NY, USA