2009 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

2009 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Aug 152016

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving highway speeds, the vehicle began to decelerate from 60 to 30 mph without warning. The contact discovered that if the vehicle was turned off and restarted and the accelerator pedal was pressed, the vehicle would accelerate with no issues for a while before the failure would recur. The dealer diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The certified mechanic diagonoised that the PCM needed to be replaced and the dealer verified the diagnosis. The PCM was not repaired. The manufactuer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Norman, OK, USA

Feb 232015

Electric fault started a fire under the hood resulting in all components to completely burn. A burning smell started while I was driving, I checked the temperature gauge and the needle was under the cold tick. I continued driving to the nearest parking which took about 1 minute and smoke was already coming out visible from the hood. I don't live in the us, so statae, zip code and phone numbers I entered are dummy. I live in the uae, abu dhabi phone: 0091502124224

- Abu Dhabi, AL, USA

Jan 182016

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the key was difficult to turn over to start the vehicle. Also, the steering wheel was extremely tight and difficult to turn when the vehicle was in motion. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would stall without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tipm failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 166,500.

- Union, GA, USA

Oct 072015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated the vehicle stalled while driving 45 mph and made an abnormal nosie. When the failure occurred, the electronic throttle body control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle exhibited the same failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (power train). The failure mileage was approximately 121,000.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jan 082014

Vehicle wouldn't start. Wouldn't turn over. Lights and radio worked. Battery, starter, alt, fuses all okay. Replaced tipm. Worked for 2 weeks and the problem started all over again. Have had this problem over and over since 2014. We were given a 'key' to try to start the car from outside under the hood when this happened. It worked sometimes, but not always. It's been towed again today for the same reason(9/9/15). We've owned many Dodge vehicles over the years and never had problems like we have with the 2009 Caliber. We had given this car to our daughter to drive for college and it has left her stranded many, many times. I'm concerned for her safety.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

May 012013

I bought this car brand new. The ABS warning light illuminated about two years ago at about 10000 miles. The current mileage is 16,000. A mechanic said the code indicated low voltage to the ABS motor. The battery voltage was good. The dealer and another mechanic said the repair would be around $600 so I did not repair it.

- High Point, NC, USA

Aug 112015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the tipm was replaced, but the failure recurred. While traveling approximately 50 mph, the ABS light illuminated, the cruise control failed to work and was unable to be reset. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Coatesville, IN, USA

Oct 072010

The lights come on when the seasons change and the car is warmed up. The alarm goes off usually when it is windy. The airbag light is the most common. It can also go on when parked and car is running. As the years have gone on, it's been less predictable. Occasionally there isn't any power when I plug something into the console, too. I've had the dealer look at it multiple times but they haven't found anything. Sometimes they don't even write it up when I'm having something else repaired. All the dealer has told me is that my airbag is disabled when the light is on. When the alarm goes off, it doesn't want to be shut off. It takes a lot of tries sometimes to get it to stop.the traction control is the newest thing. That's been only for the last year or so.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Mar 302013

Caliber 4-cyl

I notice a few after my car inspection, water was in my driver tail light housing. Housing was drained. After about 2 month my daughter ask what that dark looking stuff was in my driver tail light housing was. Of course it was water again, and the lights stop working. Please fix this problem soon. Thanks

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 122013

Caliber 4-cyl

I have been having intermittent starting problems for 5 months. I turn the key and the car is dead or it attempts to turn over. Usually after 6 - 8 tries it will start, twice I have been stranded because it would not start at all. I have had witnesses in the car with me when it happens and others who have driven the car have had the same problem. Chrysler dealers refuse to attempt to fix the problem as they have not been able to get it to fail at their site. It has been in and out of service for over 20 days since June. Chrysler group says they will refund part of the repair costs if "I" can identify the problem. They apparently cannot identify it. The car now has 31,750 miles on it. I no longer drive it because it is unreliable. So I have a $17,775 car which I made payments on for 4 years which is useless. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I am desperate. I cannot afford to buy another new car right now.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Jul 262014

Red cluster warning lite flash low tire low tire light lites low tire on odomater red lites on center cluster.

- East Mckeesport, PA, USA

Apr 222011

I bought my 2009 Dodge Caliber brand new in July 2009. I made my decision based on the 5-yr powertrain warranty, assuming the car must be mechanically dependable. Well needless to say, I was wrong for making that assumption. I began to have serious mechanical problems within the first 2 years of owning the car. I replaced the battery 3 times, had a tune-up at 65,000 miles and replaced the alternator twice after the dealership informed me that my warranty would not cover any repairs since the car had over 36,000 miles on the engine and that I would have to pay $100 for a diagnostic check to see if the powertrain warranty would cover a repair for my car to run. Since this car was my only transportation to and from work and living paycheck to paycheck, I had no choice but to attempt repairs with the battery and alternator replacements just to make it to work and be able to pay my mortgage and car note. Those repairs seem to work at first until 2 weeks after the second alternator replacement, when I was driving home from work on the interstate when my car suddenly lost power and I managed to make my way to the shoulder. It was turning dark and my hazard lights were no longer visible due to the battery being drained. I was on side of the interstate in dark freezing weather for at least an hour before a co-worker could find me to help me to safety. I returned the car to the finance company.

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA