2009 Dodge Caliber engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

2009 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Feb 232015

Electric fault started a fire under the hood resulting in all components to completely burn. A burning smell started while I was driving, I checked the temperature gauge and the needle was under the cold tick. I continued driving to the nearest parking which took about 1 minute and smoke was already coming out visible from the hood. I don't live in the us, so statae, zip code and phone numbers I entered are dummy. I live in the uae, abu dhabi phone: 0091502124224

- Abu Dhabi, AL, USA

Oct 072015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated the vehicle stalled while driving 45 mph and made an abnormal nosie. When the failure occurred, the electronic throttle body control warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle exhibited the same failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (power train). The failure mileage was approximately 121,000.

- Concord, NC, USA

Nov 282015

Car shaking while driving engine light on and dash lights keep flashing

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Oct 242015

For the last 3 years I have had trouble with the car loosing acceleration after driving it for a period of time. At first it would go several hours but now I can't go for a 30 minute drive and over 70mph before it looses acceleration on the highway. I will be driving and then the RPM's race all the way to the maximum, the temp. Gauge comes on and it looses power. I can put the pedal to the floor and it won't go anywhere. I have to sit and wait for it to 'cool' off which is crazy since it's not over heated. This can take anywhere from a half hour to an hour each time. When I try to start out again after it's set, I can go another mile before it happens again and I start all over. I have had it to several mechanics and they can't find anything wrong. They don't have the time to take it out on a drive like that to have it happen to them. It's a hazzard and I've been almost rear ended a few times by semi's and other cars. This car is very unsafe but it's all I have. I now have a piece of something hanging from the undercarriage and the front end is very loose. This is a death trap yet when I call the company, nothing is done. So glad they stand by their product. At the bottom of this complaint it asks when it happened, it happens every time I get on the highway so there's no specific date, all the time.

- Lawton, MI, USA

Oct 132015

Driving over 2 hours on highway (highway interstate 81) (route 80 ) (New Jersey turnpike)engine starts whining rpms rise over 4 & stay, speed drops to 25-30mph can't get up incline transmission overheat light comes on, had to pull over my son almost got killed because car had no power had to let car sit for an hour, this has happened 5 times car has been towed to 2 dealerships 1st dealership(zimmerman Dodge sunbury, pa) couldn't find a problem 2nd dealership(salerno-duane summit, NJ) replaced the computer, car still has the same problem car is now being towed to 3rd dealership(nichols Dodge burlington, nc) 69,000 miles on this car this car is very unsafe to drive this has happened at least 5 times July 2014, October 2014, April 2015 July 2015, October 2015,

- Chatham, NJ, USA

Oct 122013

Vehicle automatically slows down at speeds of 60 to 70 mph when car is driven for a minimum of 3 hours. Feel this is very dangerous. Example: Driving with my grandchildren on expressway; temperature light came on, car lost power and slowed down to 45. Called wrecker, towed to a Dodge dealer, . they found nothing wrong. Vehicle does this on a continual basis. Speeds of 60 to 70 mph while traveling for a minimum of 3 hours. Very dangerous on expressways. Had my grandchildren with vehicles coming up on me at 70, had my father in the car a couple of times. When it comes on now, I pull off road, wait 30 minutes or so and then continue on my way which affects my long distance trips. Called Dodge website (?) they said to take it in to a dealer when it does this. I do take it in and they can't find anything wrong. Please help me, this car is used on long distance trips. This is a very dangerous car and hope it is recalled before someone is seriously injured. If it is not a car to be driven long distance than they should recall everyone of them! thank you. I hope you can help me.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for an unrelated failure and they discovered that the engine cradle support mount was completely rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 96,702. MA 10/29/2015

- Custer City, PA, USA

Mar 032015

I bought my car used in June of 2014 and thought it was in pretty decent shape at the time, little did I know. I was driving my car (2009 Dodge Caliber) and hit a small pothole and heard some rattling afterwards. I assumed it was maybe a clamp on my exhaust and so wasn't real worried about it and figured I would have my mechanic check it out in a week of so. I got concerned after a couple days because the rattling turned into clunking. I sent it to my mechanic and he said there was major rot on the engine cradle which was rotted and broken and both front control arms were no good and sway bar bushings also needed replacing, two days before this noise I was on the highway traveling at speed limit, had this all fallen apart I could have been killed. The cost to repair all the parts which were, as far as my mechanic is concerned, faulty and should be recalled, was $1920.13 !!! this car is 6 years old with 86,000 miles on it and should not have the rot in these places as severe as it is. I know on the Dodge Caliber forums many owners have similar problems with the major front end parts rotting. This is a major problem and I wouldn't even have noticed had my mechanic not put it on a lift and looked at it and even then once he took off the engine cradle to replace it he noticed the rotted parts that were covered by the cradle, thank god I didn't lose control and get killed as I travel a lot on the highway, this problem needs to be brought to light and Caliber owners need to have their mechanics check out their cars before someone's engine falls out and they get killed. When I purchased this car it was most likely rotted pretty bad and I didn't know that was a defect in them at the time. I see lots of these cars for sale still on lots, people need to have the front ends inspected thoroughly before they purchase one.

- Salisbury , MA, USA

Feb 152014

Caliber 4-cyl

When driving for long distance with two or more in car, transmission overheats and slows car until it cools. It will not cool unless stopped and shut off. This takes about 20 minutes.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Oct 132013

Caliber 4-cyl

First time happened noted above. Was driving from Ohio to mi to take my grandchildren home. Lost speed on major highway doing 70 mph. Car went down to 45 and I was just about rear ended by a semi. I was in pure shock and didn't know what was happening to the car. I kept going because I could not pull off. Got to exit, read book, waited and waited for it to cool down so I could drive. Wouldn' to grandchildren's home, called crown motors in holland mi. They stated they could not find anything wrong, no codes, etc. The car was still sluggish when the wrecker picked it up and towed it to them. It has happened 4 times since then, and when I call to make a complaint, they have said: "take it to the dealer when it is doing it" not possible. This car is unsafe to drive. Please help me. I take it in and nothing is found. It makes and is still making a high whinning, wheezing or whatever noise in the engine just before the vehicle starts to loose speed. I am not a mechanic, but is something sticking in this. Please help me. I am afraid to drive any more than 2 hours in this vehicle. Thank you so very much for helping me!!!

- Uniontown, OH, USA

May 122014

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the engine stalled and the door latch failed. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. In addition, the check engine and fuel warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Austell, GA, USA

Jun 122013

Caliber 4-cyl

I have been having intermittent starting problems for 5 months. I turn the key and the car is dead or it attempts to turn over. Usually after 6 - 8 tries it will start, twice I have been stranded because it would not start at all. I have had witnesses in the car with me when it happens and others who have driven the car have had the same problem. Chrysler dealers refuse to attempt to fix the problem as they have not been able to get it to fail at their site. It has been in and out of service for over 20 days since June. Chrysler group says they will refund part of the repair costs if "I" can identify the problem. They apparently cannot identify it. The car now has 31,750 miles on it. I no longer drive it because it is unreliable. So I have a $17,775 car which I made payments on for 4 years which is useless. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I am desperate. I cannot afford to buy another new car right now.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Sep 022012

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the service engine warning light illuminated intermittently and the vehicle stalled on several occasions. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but the failure persisted and progressively worsened. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Clovis, CA, USA