1.8

2009 Dodge Caliber suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Caliber:

2009 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 072016

Caliber

My 2009 Dodge Caliber has the same issue as the 2007 and 2008 Calibers in that the main crossmember in the front steering/suspension has rotted through. The rest of the car is rust free but both the front and rear members have rotted out. This car was in Colorado springs for the first 4 years of its life where they do not use salt and moved to Vermont after that. At 59K miles Dodge will not cover them even though they have replaced them on 2007 models extensively. There are stories of accidents and injuries but Dodge is still not being held responsible for the poor quality and premature failure of the inferior steel parts. I have been a tech in the auto and truck industry for 40 years and am disgusted that there are thousands of stories online about these and millions of cars in the 2007-2009 years that are failing. Can we ask that NHTSA call them out on this before there are more accidents. I am afraid that I and thousands of others will have to pay out of pocket for safety issues that is clearly a failure on Dodge that they are so far sucessfuly hiding from. Issues also include 2007 Jeep and stx vehicles.

- Essex Jct, VT, USA

Nov 252014

Caliber

This car attempted to kill me twice. First the subframe rotted out due to bad design. We noticed this as the struts were being replaced - also because of bad design. This was noticed in 2014 (on a 2009 vehicle!) cost me over $1,000 to fix - Dodge offered no help at all. Later in 2014 - the front drivers side arm separated from wheel, causing wheel to pop off. If I was going any faster than the 10 mph I was going (headed to highway!), I could have been killed. Again contacted Dodge and no assistance. They recalled the 2007 but not this model year for these problems. Pictures attached. I hope someone holds this company accountable! cars should not cost thousands of dollars to repair in year 5!!!

- West Yarmouth, MA, USA

Aug 042016

Caliber

The cross member/cradle/module front suspension was completely rusted through in one section and severe rust/corrosion on most of part. The vehicle was stationary and in for routine repair when informed vehicle was unsafe to drive and should be repaired immediately. This issue is a recall for the 2007 Dodge Caliber.

- Rocky River, OH, USA

Aug 232016

Caliber

Customer brought vehicle in for pa state inspection. And front cross-member is rusted out and will not pass inspection. There is 101,000 miles on it, and no other rust on the vehicle. Customer thinks the extended warranty should cover 2007 - 2009 vehicles, because it's the same problem on all these models. It is unsafe to drive.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. A year ago, the lower control arms failed and were replaced by the dealer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a week ago and a mechanic diagnosed that the front cross member was prematurely rusted extensively and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure more than three times, but provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000...updated 11/21/16

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Aug 032016

Caliber

Summary: The vehicle was taken to the mechanic thinking there was an issue with the transmission. Mechanic states the the fluid nededed changed and found a front crossmember of the subframe completely rusted apart next to the sway bar. The 2007 model has an extended warranty that was given to extend it 10 years with unlimited mileage for the replacement of the crossmember, but they have yet to do this with the 2009 model. Obviously, the issue has continued with subsequent model years and is absolutely unreasonable to think a vehicle that is 7 years old with no other rust, should have such a serious issue.

- Sheffield Lake, OH, USA

May 242016

Caliber

My son was driving this car to work noticed a severe change to the steering. It cause him to veer into the other lane and luckily there was no other oncoming traffic. He was able to drive it onto work and called me to let me know of the problem. After driving just 10 feet it was obvious that it was un-drivable and unsafe. After calling the towing service they suggested that I call Dodge to see if there was a recall since they had already towed other Dodge of similar years with a rusted/ broken sub frames. Call local dealer with the VIN and ask to if there was any recalls for a broken sub frame. They stated that there was not a recall and did not offer to make a repair even at my cost. I took it to a local service center who had seen the same problem before on other Dodge and was familiar with the repair. After $600 for the part and $600 for labor the repair was made on a car with 89,000 miles. While the car was getting repaired I was able to tell a co-worker about the recall for the exact same issue on her 2007 Caliber which I discovered while researching. She was able to get hers repaired with no charge. Contacted Dodge and since there is no recall they are not willing to pay for the repair at this point. They know that there is problem so I guess that means Dodge stands for Dodge responsibility at the cost of the consumer. I not be purchasing any mopar products in the future.

- Sidney, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Caliber

The vehicle was taken to the mechanic thinking there was a brake issue as there was a clunking and shaking while braking and turning. Mechanic states the brakes are fine and found a front crossmember of the subframe completely rusted apart next to the sway bar. The 2007 model has an extended warranty that was given to extend it 10 years with unlimited mileage for the replacement of the crossmember, but they have yet to do this with the 2009 model. Obviously, the issue has continued with subsequent model years and is absolutely unreasonable to think a vehicle that is 7 years old with no other rust, should have such a serious issue.

- Topinabee, MI, USA

May 092016

Caliber

Rusted front subframe resulting in steering vibration and tire rubbing while driving. Vehicle was pulling hard to one side while driving on interstate. Unstable ride due to premature rusting of subframe

- North Canton, OH, USA

Apr 262016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle made a creaking sound. A mechanic diagnosed that the main cross member was corroded. The contact notified the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Apr 022016

Caliber

Upon inspection of my 2009 Dodge Caliber I was informed that the cross member is almost completely corroded out.while driving at speeds greater than 55 mph there is vibration in the steering wheel. My car will not pass inspection because this car is unsafe to drive. My husband contacted Chrysler customer service and we were informed that this year is not recalled so basically there's nothing they're willing to do. If the 2007 was recalled and the warranty was extended for the same problem, why is my 2009 cross member rusted out" because the same parts were used and dealerships never warned customers that this was a huge and expensive problem on these vehicles. What happened to satisfied customers??? I'm livid about this. 8 months ago before my vehicle had 50X miles on it, the transmission was replaced. And this car isn't a piece of crap right? made in china?? I can't believe the horrible customer service that Chrysler utilizes. So are they waiting for a catastrophic accident that kills somebody before they are wiling to fix this problem. We were told when we called that "there's not enough complaints about this issue that would warrant a recall." Really???? so what's going to happen here is I'm going to contact my attorney and contact the local news. I am definitely not the 1st person with this same issue and safety defect. Chrysler when are you going to step up to the plate and fix your problem with these vehicles before they take the life of innocent people??? I'm disgusted beyond belief!! can you tell??"

- New Kensington, PA, USA

Mar 292016

Caliber

Upon inspection of my Dodge Caliber suspension and front undercarriage it was determined that the engine cradle had sever corrosion. The corrosion has created a safety concern regarding the stability of the engine and lower control arms. The car has 58,500 miles. The dealer and Fiat Chrysler refuse to fix the issue because they stated it's out of warranty. Fiat Chrysler has issued a technical bulletin 23-012-14 for front and rear crossmember corrosion (X58 10 years unlimited) for M.Y 2007 Dodge Calibers for the same defect. My 2009 Caliber uses the same part number, same part that is being replaced in earlier vehicles for the same problem. The premature corrosion presents a safety concern for the vehicle occupants. The vehicle is becoming unstable while turning corners.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jan 202016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Caliber. While driving at 60 mph, the contact temporarily lost control of the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that a part of the suspension had detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that there was extreme corrosion underneath the vehicle and that the subframe needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000......updated 04/15/16

- Ontario, OH, USA

Mar 152014

Caliber

2009 Dodge Caliber, within 3 months of buying vehicle, as is, started having acceleration problems, brake and suspension problems. Took vehicle to dealer, was informed I needed suspension bar and struts replaced which would cost over $800. About the same time my transmission overheat light started coming on, I loose power and have to pull over on the side of the road for 15-30 minutes before vehicle would drive again. Go approx. 23 miles at a time when same problem occurs. Worse in the summer time. Today, my electronic throttle control light, malfunction indication light and engine overheat light came on and remains on every time I start the vehicle. Vehicle will not accelerate without getting up between 3 & 4 RPM's. not much power. When hitting a bump or ice at stopping point, vehicle jumps ahead instead of stopping, almost causing me to rear end several times. Tons of complaints about these same issues. Something must be done. I paid $10700 for my vehicle. Cant even afford to get it fixed as repairs are now estimated over $4200. This is not right to do to people...

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 082016

Caliber

Took my 2009 Dodge Caliber in for inspection. Front sub-frame / cross member is rotting away and almost rusted. Rest of the car has very little rust. Called Chrysler customer care. Dodge is aware of the problem and extended the warranty for the 07 but not the 09 knowing the issue was not resolved. Have an appointment at the dealership (who are awesome) to inspect the problem further.

- Lisbon, ME, USA

Dec 212015

Caliber

The 2009 Dodge Caliber was deemed unsafe and unable to pass a Maine safety inspection. The front and rear cross sub frames were heavily rusted and completely rusted through in several places.

- Monmouth, ME, USA

Nov 272015

Caliber

Took car in for inspection, was told cradle, subframe is rotted. Was told there was a recall. Chrysler did recall 2007 2008.but not 2009. Car has less than 60,000 miles. Body is not rusted. Called customer care and was told they are aware there is a problem and get many complaint but have chosen not to extend recall. Even though they know there is a problem. Almost every complaint on this website is about the same issue.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Oct 232015

Caliber

Took my 2009 Dodge Caliber in for annual state inspection, failed because of a cracked K member (sub frame) on the left side and loose left tie rod. Shop does not do repairs. Took to another repair shop in Vermont for a second look. He found that the K member corroded with holes near the mounting bolt on the K member and corrosion on the lower control arms. He ordered parts to replace the K member and lower control arms. He also replaced the outer tie rod which I had purchased after the failed inspection. Steering quicker to left than to the right before taking the car in for the failed inspection

- Cambridge, NY, USA

Sep 252015

Caliber

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced, the mechanic noticed the rear trailing arm bushing was stuck to the suspension. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- North Andover, MA, USA

Sep 022015

Caliber

After suspecting some front end suspension issues I took my 2009 Dodge Caliber to my regular mechanic. Upon inspection he reported that, along with control arms needing to be replaced, the subframe was unusually rusted and corroded to a point that was unsafe to drive. I investigated the matter and found that Chrysler issued an extension on the factory warranty to cover the same issue on the 2007 Calibers but when I contacted Chrysler customer service they informed my that there has been no recall or warranty extension for the 2009 Caliber. The car is at the garage and will be getting fixed tomorrow. I have taken pictures and will pursue the issue further.

- Fairview Park, OH, USA