2.9

2010 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Caliber:

2010 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Caliber

We purchased vechicle 2012. Have had numberous fuses blown; front blinkers and lights rear blinkers and brake lights also the plug in where ciggerate lighter. Another issue is with car randomly not starting. Turning over for 5-10 secs. I have had to replace altanator twice, newer battery and starter. At one point it did work. The cd player and controls panel goes black when inserting cd it flickers and goes black.. temperature gage above steering wheel lights constantly flickers..last issue is with door locks not unlocking its a menace..needless to say its been nothing but a headache.. recently recieved recall notice in mail

- Endicott, NY, USA

Oct 012014

Caliber

While driving my car my transaxle overheating light will illiminate. My car will slow down and not keep the speed up. I have to pull over until the light goes out then I can continue my driving but it will do it all again 10 miles down the road. This happens about an hour after driving it on the highway at 70 mph I was just on a trip 2 hours from home. In a 30 minute time frame I had to pull over 6 times because of this. I have not taken it to the dealership and it has not been fixed. I have noticed many people are having the same problem why has this not been recalled yet?

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jun 202016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated while driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle restarted after the first attempt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Apr 192016

Caliber

Smoke was coming out of the off and on knob for heat/air.. I also had a cd in my cd player as I was traveling on a royal road, a strange smell was also coming from the smoke. I pulled over lifted the hood and seen no fire. I turned the knob off, removed the cd and waited a few minutes and started my car. I am wary to put a cd back in the player... I think that is what caused it but it may have been my temperature knob, , had the blower on for cool air vent.... not ac or heat, just vent air on high.

- Hookstown, PA, USA

Dec 272014

Caliber

Started my car this morning and let it run for awhile(5 min) until rpms went down, its 12 degrees outside, I drove through my parking lot maybe 20 ft and throttle warning light came on, I didn't know what it was at first but I researched while letting my car idle it sort of pulsated. When I went to accelerate it would barely move, thank god I was not on the highway as I was about to go to work. I've had nothing but problems with this car since I bought it 2 yrs ago!! I asked the dealership for a safe reliable car, and this is what they found smh!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 032014

Caliber

Purchased this car four months ago with 79,300 miles on it. Within a couple of days it started acting up, not wanting to start. I went to the advance and they checked the battery, starter, and alternator. Machine said replace battery so I did for $150 with 5 year warranty. Left and within an hour still did not want to start. Seemed like it was prone to doing this while sitting up or down hill and not flat on pavement. It was as if it wanted to start and was making starting noises and it had to catch and then start up. I called the dealership from which I purchased the car and they looked at it no charge and it just would not do it again. Guess what it still does it now and of course the freebies are over because it was no warranty. I did purchase an extended warranty just in case. About a month ago it started jerking I was describing it as over shifting. As I proceeded to come off an exit ramp to merge into traffic which was going 60 mph my car started jerking really bad and my etc light started flashing, very scary I could have gotten hit by oncoming traffic.I slowed to 55 mph and the light went off. Went to the Dodge dealership and they said throttle body was so dirty it needed cleaning. I got it cleaned this past Friday and guess what was happening by Saturday. Went back to the dealership today and told the service advisor to drive it with me in there and it showed out. He speed up on the freeway and the light came back on flashing and we were going so slow he turned on the hazards. Pulled over turned it off and back on and light was off we went back to the dealership and I have to drop it off tomorrow to see if anything can be figured out. I'm sure you guys know the drill. By the way my extended warranty does not cover throttle body assembly go figure. So yeah rough four months and only 83,000 miles on the car now. We need a recall on this model and a few more.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Nov 182014

Caliber

Power in vehicle began to drain 47 miles from my house going 60 to 75mph after going 75 to 80 mph temperature out side is about 50 degrees. The car acts as if it were going to stall the radio power went out. After that I tested to see if it were the lights still worked and upon turning the lights on all lights in the car dimmed completely. I went 28 miles to my appointment with no accessories on to include the heater. And radio would not get power until sitting for 30min. On the trip returning home 30miles in to my trip returning home going 60 to 75 miles highest speed for 20miles of the first 30 miles the car power started to drain. Just took it to big O tires today and was confirmed no battery issues the battery is in good condition. I have to spend $100 to do testing now. It is winter here I can not risk my life in a car that can not operate in the cold or after only 44000 miles acts like it will not operate. It happened before at highway speeds last year when I hit 35000 miles. I did some research online that this has happened in warmer climates as well at 55000 miles. Please look in to this I no longer trust my car to drive 75mph on highway. And I dear not go 75miles away from home if it can't take a 150 mile trip its not worth paying of a car last check the loan is $11,000. If the problems were known the car should have never been resold by any dealer. If I was not able to use another car I would be more upset than I am now this car is only good for an elder to go to the store and back. I wont be using this car outside my city limits its not safe.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jul 212014

Caliber 4-cyl

Imagine cruising down the tollway at 75 mph when the entire panel lights up like a christmas tree and you have no power to the engine. I was able to safely pull of on the shoulder of the road. I turned off the ignition and waited. I tried to start the engine and nothing, not a moan, nothing. It is not the battery. In a time frame of about 15 minutes, I was able to start the car and the service engine light remained on. My mechanic could not diagnose this until it was actually acting up. It repeated this 4 - 5 times over a 4 week period. Finally, diagnosed as the computer module control. This is an $1100 repair. Has anyone else experienced this?

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Aug 192014

Caliber 4-cyl

My 2010 Dodge Caliber has started this sputtering thing. I indicated several problems because I just don't know what the problem is. Sometimes it hesitates to start and I have noticed that intermittently it has sort of jerked, but today, it just sputtered and tried to shut down in the middle of an intersection as I was turning into oncoming traffic. Although I have owned this vehicle for a little over 3 years, the mileage is only 53,000 miles. I am old and disabled. I don't know what I would have done if I had to walk. It acts like it is either a problem with the transmission or that the electrical system is trying to shut it down. I am not sure. Before I go putting fuel injector cleaner in it or, try doing anything on my own, I need some answers. Also it isn't even paid for yet! it was a "program" vehicle before I bought it. However the issues that have been going on with the sputtering started about Jan. 2014. I never have received notice of any recalls but I am about to take it to the Dodge dealer and find out what is going on. I am very disappointed that this is going on. I am old and need my vehicle to complete every day tasks. I also don't go anywhere very often and don't know where to take my vehicle because of the money hungry mechanics that are kind of shady out there, and I don't know what to do about this. I read numerous reviews on here and I do think I may be having the same issue of many regarding the transmission, hesitation, and seems to be trying to shut down on me in the most unlikely places, light coming on and system shutting down and trying to stall. Someone needs to do something about this immediately!

- Independence, MO, USA

Aug 022014

Caliber

I was at a light in 3 lane traffic when the light changed my car began lunging and sputtering finally losing power. The electronic throttle control light began flashing. I can't even find a diagram online to tell me where that is located. On Caliber forumz there are many complaints about this problem. I love my car but it really must be dependable. It would seem with all the complaints that this issue would be addressed.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 112014

Caliber

Noticed loss in acceleration power here and there over a few months time as well as the ect light flash on for a quick moment a few times. One day I was driving and came to a stop light and when I tried to take off from the stop the whole car started shaking and knocking then cut off all while having the etc light illuminated. Once this happened I could barely make it up the steep hill back to my home. I ended up having the car towed and taken to the dealership where I was informed I would have to replace the throttle body control unit for around $700! I have only had this car 2 and 1/2 years and this is not the first major issue. Chrysler needs to recall the ect that they are using I also have a 2012 Jeep compass that I have had 2 months and having the same issues.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Dec 022013

Caliber

My Dodge has been stalling at red lights for the past year. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they cannot replicate the issue nor can they find a code on the computer scan. They do however, recommend flushes etc. The issue has not gone away. If I am at a red light with the ac on (automatic transmission), it will idle very loud and rough and the tachometer will bounce up and down. It will also stall out at times when I move my foot from the break to the gas. If I turn the ac off it will keep it from idling rough and stalling. I also have an issue when I start my car up, put it in reverse then put it back in drive; that I all electrical power for 10 seconds. The radio turns off, the brake warning light and other dash board lights come on and then the electrical power will come back on. It is almost like the car is resetting its self; I do not lose my radio presets however.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 022013

Caliber

My car's speed accelerate/jumps when struggling to get to second gear.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 012012

Caliber

Whenever I have the lights on, radio on, fan blower on, and I'm stopped at a light in drive mode (automatic transmission), the engine shakes and dies. It's almost as if the car is experiencing computer overload. Too many things going on for the car to handle so the computer crashes causing the car to die. The car always starts back up. No indicator lights go off on the dash. It only happens occasionally under the above mentioned circumstances. If you add on the front & rear wipers same thing happens. I've had it checked out at 3 different places, paying and for free, and they all tell me they could not find anything wrong with the car. This is a serious safety issue especially since I have a baby in the car. I have aaa and road side assistance through my insurance but they always take an hour to get to you. I've never had to use them because the car always starts back up again. This car needs to be recalled because other wise the car functions normally as long as I don't have the lights on, radio on, fan blower on, and I'm stopped at a light in drive mode. If you put it in neutral sometimes the car wants to stall but it doesn't always prevent the car from shutting down. Read lots of complaints about this model, similar issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 022013

Caliber

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while traveling 75 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact mentioned that the electronic components in the vehicle also failed. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder where it was restarted and resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The failure recurred and the contact was awaiting a second diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Caliber 4-cyl

My car will not start with the factory key, or the replacement key. I got the replacement key about 1 year ago and this the third time that both keys will not crank the car. I had to wait 20 mins in the hot car until it would crank.

- Garner, NC, USA

Apr 182013

Caliber

When getting a jump from another car the computer went out had to pay a little under $900 dollars. The struts are also going out. The car is making a rowing noise. Sometimes the car did not have pick up or speed when stepping on accelerator.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Dec 032012

Caliber 4-cyl

The vehicle stalls at the lights or at a stop sign. No other time, for no reason it sputters a little and then stalls. It starts right away. I have taken it to the Dodge dealership and because their computer doesn't find anything, they say there is nothing wrong, well evidently there is, as it shouldn't stall for no reason. I had the spark plugs changed and still stalls. From what I have read on line after purchasing the Caliber many, many people are having the same problem, this could be a very serious issue if the car decides to stall while the car is in motion. I am hoping via this email that someone can look into this. Thank you

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Mar 102011

Caliber 4-cyl

Every so often the car will not start when you put the key in the ignition and turn it. It does nothing, makes no noise. It acts as if you did nothing. You turn the key and nothing happens. Most times, when you turn the key back to the original position and try again, it will start as if nothing was wrong. It is just weird. This has happened to me at least 15 times over the past year and a half.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Mar 152011

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Caliber. The contact attempted several times to start the ignition yet the engine failed to engage. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician reprogrammed the ignition key yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer two different occasions for the identical failure and the contact was awaiting diagnosis by the dealer. The failure mileage was 1,713. Updated 06/01/11 updated 06/10/11

- Calcium, NY, USA