2.7

2010 Dodge Caliber engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Caliber:

2010 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Oct 012014

Caliber

While driving my car my transaxle overheating light will illiminate. My car will slow down and not keep the speed up. I have to pull over until the light goes out then I can continue my driving but it will do it all again 10 miles down the road. This happens about an hour after driving it on the highway at 70 mph I was just on a trip 2 hours from home. In a 30 minute time frame I had to pull over 6 times because of this. I have not taken it to the dealership and it has not been fixed. I have noticed many people are having the same problem why has this not been recalled yet?

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jul 202016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Caliber. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle lunged forward. The SRS and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was determined that the driver side air bag spiral cable spring needed to be replaced and reset. A tune up was recommended. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000. Updated 10/28/16

- Byers, CO, USA

Jun 262016

Caliber

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Caliber. While driving approximately 25 to 30 mph, the electronic throttle control light illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate past 5 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jan 052015

Caliber 4-cyl

My car started to suddenly slow down on the highway. I have had 4 incidents where when the car is on accelerated speed suddenly slow down. Am still paying loan on the car and I have maintained service on it.I feel I maybe in danger as the car is now a safety hazard. I have researched online and saw that other people have had the same problems. I have contacted Dodge corporate twice and was given case number 26243890 on phone and case number 26233972 on email. They say they can't do anything as the car is not on recall. I do not want life lost for it to be recalled. If there is already other people with the same problems then Dodge should do something before anything bad happened. I have called local Dodge dealer and they told me to pay to diagnose my car. Please help so Dodge to correct this problem before car causes a crash. Thank you

- Grove City, OH, USA

Oct 032014

Caliber

I had took my car to get service at jiffy lube with a air filter and oil change. When driving to school I slowly started to notice a strange smell and decided to return to jiffy lube. Well on my way the problem increased and smoke and flames started appearing, that's when I quickly got out the car and called 911. I had only made it a block away from reaching jiffy lube when incident occurred.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 262014

Caliber

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Caliber. While driving 70 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 52,500.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 252011

Caliber 4-cyl

Dates & mileage are approximate. I'm not a mechanic and I have no idea which part would be causing the problem. I guessed. This has happened at least 10 times over the past 3 years. My 16 yr old granddaughter recently told me her older Caliber did the same thing! this lead me to believe it is a safety/power issue with the model. Why would this just be happening to our 2 vehicles? her vehicle was purchased in ga and mine in mi. I do a lot of freeway driving. Each time this occurred, I was driving on freeways at 70 mph for extended periods of time. I take an exit. When I depress the accelerator to turn off the exit ramp, the engine completely "bogs down". there is very little power. Each time, I have calibrated time for safely pulling out into oncoming traffic, expecting to have normal power. Suddenly, I have little to no acceleration and it seems like it may stall out! you can imagine the fear of not being able to clear oncoming traffic in time. The low power continues for about a minute, then resumes normal operation. I have been fortunate enough that no accident has occurred, because it's impossible to get over to the shoulder. Actually, this is so dangerous, I can't explain why I haven't had it checked out, besides inconvenience and stupidity. When my granddaughter told me about her car, that really scared me and prompted me to act. I've also come to realize that I'm putting other drivers in danger of injury or death. Please let me know asap if there's been a recall or should be one on these vehicles. I have to believe there are many more out there experiencing the same dangerous malfunction and possibly injuries or death.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Mar 112014

Caliber

Noticed loss in acceleration power here and there over a few months time as well as the ect light flash on for a quick moment a few times. One day I was driving and came to a stop light and when I tried to take off from the stop the whole car started shaking and knocking then cut off all while having the etc light illuminated. Once this happened I could barely make it up the steep hill back to my home. I ended up having the car towed and taken to the dealership where I was informed I would have to replace the throttle body control unit for around $700! I have only had this car 2 and 1/2 years and this is not the first major issue. Chrysler needs to recall the ect that they are using I also have a 2012 Jeep compass that I have had 2 months and having the same issues.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Dec 022013

Caliber

My car's speed accelerate/jumps when struggling to get to second gear.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 202013

Caliber 4-cyl

While driving home from work the cars speed suddenly decreased and the electronic throttle control light came on. Pulled over safely and restarted the vehicle. Light remained on. Took it to a mechanic and was informed that the throttle body must be replaced. The whole thing must be replaced since it's completely sealed and you cannot access parts inside it. This is a safety issue because the vehicle suddenly lost speed and then it would not accelerate over 30mph. The vehicle only has 70000 miles on it. Did some checking online and this is a very common issue with Calibers.

- Krakow, WI, USA

Dec 292011

Caliber 4-cyl

While at a stop and not during acceleration, the vehicle begins to sputter and chug as if it is going to stall; sometimes it stalls, but starts right back. Other times when accelerating, it jumps before catching and accelerating smoothly. Took car to the dealer and they were unable duplicate the complaint and no codes were found.

- Orting, WA, USA

Oct 012012

Caliber

Whenever I have the lights on, radio on, fan blower on, and I'm stopped at a light in drive mode (automatic transmission), the engine shakes and dies. It's almost as if the car is experiencing computer overload. Too many things going on for the car to handle so the computer crashes causing the car to die. The car always starts back up. No indicator lights go off on the dash. It only happens occasionally under the above mentioned circumstances. If you add on the front & rear wipers same thing happens. I've had it checked out at 3 different places, paying and for free, and they all tell me they could not find anything wrong with the car. This is a serious safety issue especially since I have a baby in the car. I have aaa and road side assistance through my insurance but they always take an hour to get to you. I've never had to use them because the car always starts back up again. This car needs to be recalled because other wise the car functions normally as long as I don't have the lights on, radio on, fan blower on, and I'm stopped at a light in drive mode. If you put it in neutral sometimes the car wants to stall but it doesn't always prevent the car from shutting down. Read lots of complaints about this model, similar issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 282012

Caliber 4-cyl

This vehicle has stalled twice and sputters and jerks intermittently stopped at a light, railroad crossing or otherwise. When it stalls I am able to restart it. It has been seen on 5 differently occasions and the dealers state it does not code so there is nothing they can do about. To date, (April 11-2013) the vehicle continues to sputter and stall and Dodge dealer says it does not code so they can not fix the problem. This is a very convenient excuse for not fixing a vehicle that is still under mfg warranty. Something has to be done! this is an accident waiting to happen and I hope its not a bad one.

- Lawndale, CA, USA

Jan 042013

Caliber

The vehicle stalls without warning as I am coming to a stop (such as a stop light or stop sign). There is no warning in the warning lights and this is very dangerous. I have had this happen numerous times. I bought the car used and have had the car under a year. I bought it with almost 39, 000 miles on it and only have 41, 800 on there now. It has been taken in for service at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they found nothing wrong. I am having the spark plugs replaced and having a maintenance check as they suggested for a fee....and for a larger fee (nearly 400.00) I can get the full service they think may alleviate the problem"? I find this problem to be a serious safety issue and have seen where other owners are complaining of the same problem. This can cause a serious accident and when will something be done about this" there should be a re-call on this as it poses a serious safety issue.

- Bridgeton, NJ, USA