2011 Dodge Caliber drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Caliber:

2011 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments

Jul 192016

I was driving on the highway between 50-60 mph and my car suddenly lost power. 2 warning lights came on the dash and I pressed the gas pedal to the floor and still my car would not accelerate. The air conditioning stopped working and again I could not increase my speed. I pulled over and put on my emergency flashers. Reviewed my manual and was able to read about the warning signs. I turned off my car and started it back up and I was able to make it home safely. Very scary drive! I had my 2 grandchildren in the car too. I have now read about many instances of this happening. I may try my dealer but I don't know if I will keep this car.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 042016

I have been noticing slipping between gears. I tried taking off from a stop light and it wouldn't go any faster than 15 mph almost getting hit from behind. Then the RPM would accelerate however speedometer wouldn't justify the increase. Also it's sounding weird, kind of like vacuum. But definitely loss of power and sucking up gas. This is a serious problem and judging by all the other reviews/complaints, I'm not the only one with this problem. You need to do a serious recall on all affected vehicles and stop having us pulling money out of our pocket to cover an obvious defect with said Calibers.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Sep 042015

Driving to Massachusetts from nh...3 hour ride...just outside of springfield, MA on a very busy highway, the car suddenly deaccelerated, lost power, and dash warning lights came on. The car went from approx 75/80 mph down to 30mph and lower. I was in the middle of the third lane, and had to try to get over to the break down lane with a car full of kids. This is not safe, and several vehicles were swerving around me to avoid hitting me in the rear end. When trying to accelerate, I would put my foot to the floor on the gas pedal and nothing would happen. It was like it suddenly went into neutral. Very, very dangerous. Also, the shifting lever often shifts my car into manual operation instead of automatic without me even realizing it.

- Whitefield, NH, USA

Jan 112014

When I first start my car, the engine will first rev past 2500 RPM; this is not normal as it revs around 1800 RPM. The car will vibrate, and the electronic throttle control light will come on (flashes when vibrates). After restarting the car, the light will go away. Between 35-45 mph, the car will either feel like or will go into a stall. The light will come on when the vehicle goes into a stall. The previous week, I took my car to the dealer to have the map sensor and the PCV hose replaced. A flash update was also performed; neither replacing the parts, nor the flash update fixed the problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 102013

Caliber 4-cyl

Just turned a corner, engine light came on, then stalled. Car would not restart. Had to wait about 15 minutes then car would start. Made it almost to destination and then stalled again... had to coast downhill to make it to my destination.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jun 022013

Driving up hill rpms jumped up to 4000 would not shift gears pulled over transmission fluid leaking from transmission. Had been to dealer complaining of same type noises they always said no problem found. 300 dollar tow to nearest dealer. Sitting there now. Waiting to hear from them in the morning.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Dec 232011

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Caliber. The contact was driving 30 mph when the vehicle failed to shift properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 27,000 and the current mileage was 27,200.

- Nottingham, PA, USA

Aug 032011

Ignition sticks on initial daily start up and after sitting for several hours without being ran. There is also a whining noise coming from front end when vehicle is first driven and subsequently after it sits for several hours. It has been to the dealership twice for both issues. Dealer couldn't duplicate.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jul 312011

Was driving car, took a left hand turn and car died in middle of intersection, had enough momentum to carry car through intersection so there was no accident. The car stared right back up seemed fine. The A/C was on but that should not have an effect on it. The car did the same thing 3 days before this and I was not turning, I was stopping behind a car that was turning. Each time this has happened the A/C was on and it was within 5 miles of first starting the car. I did notice the RPM drop and then it seemed like to catch itself and rev back up. Seems like it is related to the torque converter in the transmission or with the programming of the ECU. Bringing it to dealer first thing in am.

- Kernersville, NC, USA