2.3

2005 Dodge Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Caravan:

2005 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Mar 012011

Caravan

Defective headlight switch - works intermittently. Parking lights work, but neither headlight. The limp-home work-around was to hold the high beam switch lever on the steering column while driving; a safety distraction in itself as this is tiresome to keep the lights on, not to mention that opposing traffic does not appreciate the high beam. So it is high beams or nothing, so long as you hold the high beam lever. This is widely mentioned by other drivers on the internet. It is a safety hazard to lose your lights while driving! it is also a safety hazard to not have both hands available to drive with. For those drivers who did not have the luxury of discovering the high beam lever trick, they could easily end up in a crash before getting stopped.

- New Boston, MI, USA

Aug 012009

Caravan

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The vehicle was parked and shut off when the contact attempted to lock the doors using the key fob. The doors would not lock. In order to lock the doors using the key fob the contact disconnected the battery for approximately 10 minutes. Upon reconnecting the battery the contact was able to lock the doors using the key fob. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure persisted. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 082010

Caravan 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan this vehicle has headlight failure, have been told its the module too the electrical system. This is just one of the many problems that Dodge has with vehicles. From time to time the windows wont work. Now only the high beams work and low beams are completely out. Everything else but, the locks and headlamps wont work. No previous problems with this vehicle was noted. I was out of town 10 hrs from home when this problem with the low beams occured. Scared to drive at night. This must be looked at.

- Combes, TX, USA

Jan 032011

Caravan

The door locks on 2005 Dodge Caravan do not work unless I pull a fuse out for 10 seconds. Such an operation works only for 2 days. I have no warning that they are not working. I can walk away from my car and ┐lock┐ the doors with my key fob. When I return I will discover that the locks were not working and my car has been open the entire time. I can be driving with my grandchildren in the back seat without knowing that the locks were not locked properly. The child proof locks could allow a child to fall from the car because the rear locks did not automatically lock. Because of the latter, I do not understand why this safety issue has not been recalled by the company.

- Dunlap, IL, USA

Jul 012008

Caravan

Power door locks stopped working about 2 years ago. I read on the internet how to fix it, most suggestions were to replace the fuse. We have cleaned and replaced the fuse several times, but the door locks still go out erratically. This is a major safety issue as we bought the Caravan because we have young children and the power door locks are convenient to getting them in and out all at one time. There are too many complaints for Dodge not to take this seriously. Will someone have to die or be seriously injured before they do something?

- Warren, OR, USA

Dec 182010

Caravan

To whom it may concern: Good day after vehicle is turned off, especially after using fog lights; I..E. vehicle is parked; secured; key out of ignition; lights are place in off position - the lights will seem to be off then within an hour randomly come on - go off - go on off thus draining the battery. I've also researched online and found many similar problems with 2005 Dodge Caravan electrical issue - like this same problem (which I experienced my self today) of the lights randomly go on/off while driving. I'm glad it was day time - but if at night with my pregnant wife driving - set a red flag off of a serious safety issue. Please see the below links for other examples of similar problems - believe a recall is in order to fix this should have been years ago by the looks of it. Please help ! ! ! autoforum.classifieds1000.com/Dodge-grand_caravan/2005_dodge_grand_caravan_random_headlamp_issue www.topix.com/forum/autos/Dodge-Caravan/T5ihkiqmtbk2hcua7 thanks for your prompt attention.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 082009

Caravan 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Dodge Caravan and I have problems with the headlights going out will I am driving and sometimes them not turning on. I have had the van for 3 years and had the problem for the last year. I tried replacing the relays in the van and it doesn't work. I have had it looked at and they can not seem to find anything wrong with it. This is very unsafe to be driving at night and I have 3 children and this is the only vehicle that I have.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jan 012010

Caravan

Door locks actuate up and down while vehicle is in motion. Door locks unlock while vehicle is in motion. Door locks actuate up and down while vehicle is not running. These issues are safety concerns as the doors unlock while the vehicle is moving. I have two small children and this is unacceptable, it has been documented hundreds of times on line. Two door locks have failed completely and will not work using power door lock button or keyless remote. This is also a theft concern as at any time of day the doors could unlock rendering the vehicle open. Occasionally the power doors do not work. Power rear vent window passenger side does not work any longer. Using the power window buttons cause the locks to cycle up and down.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Oct 022010

Caravan 6-cyl

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - turn signal inoperative. Turn signal (left and right) will intermittently cut out. Emergency flashers and windshield wipers continue to work and fuse is functional. Turning ignition on/off sometimes fixes problem.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jun 012009

Caravan

My 2005 Dodge Caravan's power locks stopped working about a yr ago (2009) I tried replacing the fuse, new battery. This did not correct the problem. There is only one keyed entry into the vehicle which is on the drivers door which forces you to crawl all around the vehicle to open the other 3 door. In the even of an emergency this would be a huge safety issue. I know from reading other forums that thousands of other 2005 Dodge Caravan owners have this same problem. Apparently Dodge is aware of it because they have a software program update for it.

- North East , MD, USA

Aug 072010

Caravan

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT. Power locks quit working. Can not unlock with remote key, must use key in lock to open. I was told to disconnect the battery and the iod fuse for ten minutes and reconnect. Locks work awhile then quit. I was told that Dodge had a soft ware fix but, it would cost about one hundred dollars. I don't think it is right to charge for problem they created and seem to know about it. If there was an emergency and you needed to access the van quickly it would be impossible to do it quickly if you have to fumble with the key. Also you couldn't lock it quick enough from the inside. I think there should be a recall on this problem. I noticed on the internet a number of people are fighting this problem as well.

- League City, TX, USA

Aug 142010

Caravan

1. electric door locks stopped working suddenly from both the key control pad and interior switches. The sliding side door also did not operate 2. it is persistent since it has happened. The lights blink so you think there is no problem. As a result you have to use the key and manually open or lock all the doors. Safety concerns with a minivan designed to haul around families, security concerns with theft/vandalism and entering the vehicle, securing property while leaving. Pulled the iod fuse and replaced after 1 minute as described in the below link. It seems like a common problem with over 150 documented complaints (under 2 separate titles) www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Caravan/2005/electrical/power_door_locks_quit_working.shtml. I plan to bring it to a Dodge the dealer.

- Baden Ontario Canada, 00, USA

Jul 022010

Caravan

Power door locks stopped working on my 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT. Dealer claims no liability nor does Dodge. This is a safety issue as the vehicle's back door/lift gate will not lock at all.

- Auburn, GA, USA

May 152009

Caravan

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that consistently has power lock failures. I have been to many forums on the internet and it appears to be a common problem with 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan owners. There are no recalls for this defect.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Jul 172010

Caravan

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan BCM software failure ┐ the failure happened unexpectedly about a week and a half ago. It resulted in power door lock failure for the van and eventually the engine not shutting off when the ignition was turned off and the key taken out. When the vehicle was designed, it was designed to have ┐power door locks┐. with that in mind, there is only one key entrance for the van ┐ on the driver's door. Therefore, without the power door lock feature enabled we cannot access our small children as easily as having the key and being able to open the doors automatically. Also, about three nights ago I pulled my van into the garage, put it in park, turned the ignition off, and took the key out. The auxiliary features and fan motor were still running so I alerted my husband to come out and take a look. When he attempted to restart the engine, turn the van off and take the key out. The engine continued to run even though the key was out of the ignition. Eventually, he had to disconnect the battery in order to stop the engine. I didn't have to research on the internet very long to see that this is a common failure for this make/model of van. There is complaint after complaint of people having to deal with this issue because someone has not taken control of it and made a mandatory recall on this product we took it to the shop only to find out that the BCM software failure (that Chrysler is very familiar with) was our problem. After paying $70.60 for a rental car and $105.93 for the BCM update we now have working power door locks.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Jun 112010

Caravan

The lights on my 2005 Dodge Caravan will randomly shut off, or not come on at all. After doing some research on-line, I find this to be a pretty common problem and the dealers don't appear to know what the issue is. This is a serious safety hazard causing me to drive this vehicle with no headlights after dark.

- Southwick, MA, USA

Apr 122009

Caravan

Power door locks on my 2005 Dodge Caravan have quit working. There is only one door that has a key hole to use a key in. I have to unlock the driver's door, then reach over and unlock the other doors. This has been going on for over a year now. I can't afford to trade my vehicle in or I would. I have seen numerous complaints about the same problem on countless websites. Dodge needs to be do something to fix this problem.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

May 292010

Caravan

Failure of headlights on 2005 Dodge Caravan. Intermittently when the headlight switch is turned on, the parking and tail lights illuminate, however the headlights do not. The headlights can only be illuminated by holding on the temporary high beam lights. I have read of numerous similar complaints to Dodge with only a response of a denial of the problem. This is an extreme safety issue in that loss of headlights while driving at night could easily result in an accident or fatality...

- Lilydale, MN, USA

Mar 272010

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the sensor for the door locks did not function properly and doors would suddenly lock on their own. The contact had to unlock the doors manually. When the failure occurred and someone approached the vehicle, the panic alarm would begin to sound. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that repairs would have to be performed at her expense. The failure mileage was approximately 49,000. The current mileage was approximately 49,500. Updated 11/19/10. The consumer stated the connection from the battery were removed several times. Finally, after three times the sensors started to work again. The consumer stated there have been no problems since. Updated 12/01/10

- Herndon , VA, USA

May 202010

Caravan

There are 3 separate incidents happened to the vehicle. Once while driving on the street and twice on the highway, 3 times the vehicle shuts down on its own in the middle of the traffic.

- Yuba City, CA, USA