2005 Dodge Caravan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Caravan:

2005 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Mar 202016

Caravan 6-cyl

Airbag warning light lit. Looked up on NHTSA website, Chrysler issued a"safety improvement campaign" copy enclosed. I took my van to the dealer to have it fixed plus a new key and a recall notice for a fuel/stalling problem. I was informed that the airbag problem was not covered because of the VIN number. The van was purchased in mass. And I purchased it in Rhode Island. I donot think I should have to pay $216.61 dollars to have this fixed. Thank you

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jun 052013

For the last three years or so, in the winter time, my head lights would just randomly come on when it started to get cold outside. They would go out later but they would do this all night and day. This year, they now do this all year long and now they are doing while I am driving. My lights will flicker and just go black. I lose all my lights, headlights and interior lights. I have no clue what is causing this. I love my van and there is nothing else wrong with it. This is very dangerous I understand but this has to be something in the van that is faulty. In the past, I would just grab the light switch and turn it back and forth quickly and it would turn the lights off. This no longer works. I have seen similar issues like this reported. I am so afraid to take it to a shop and find out it is going to cost more than my van is worth. Again, this happens when I am driving or when the van is stationary, not running at all. This started about 3-4 years ago and it keeps getting worse. I put a new battery in it thinking that would help. Nope!

- Freeport, IL, USA

Oct 162015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that all of the doors failed to lock. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer needed to be reset. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 136,000.

- Rogersville, TN, USA

Oct 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. While driving approximately 35 mph, the instrument panel lights and the headlights began to flicker after the ABS and brake light warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The contact was informed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer but the failure was still unable to be determined. The contact was advised that the failure might have been due to the battery needing to be replaced. The battery was replaced and the ABS and brake light warning indicators were no longer illuminated but the instrument panel lights and headlights continued to flicker. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 146,000.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Mar 162015

As I was driving, the electrical system on my 2005 Dodge Caravan wheelchair-accessible minivan failed completely, shutting down my power brakes, power steering, all dashboard indicators, and all vehicle lights (including the four-way flashers). Fortunately, the engine continued to run, so I was able to pull it to the side of the road. This has happened to me twice. The first time we took it to our regular mechanic, who could not find anything wrong. After it happened the second time, a Dodge dealer mechanic told me that the automatic braking system locking mechanism had failed and shorted out the entire electrical system and would cost $900 to repair. It also cost an extra $500 to replace the mechanism that the part is attached to because it had rusted so severely. These incidents were frightening because it was difficult to pull the car over to the side of the road without power steering and power brakes. It would have been worse if it had happened at a higher speed or at night since all my lights would have shut off. I would consider buying a newer wheelchair van if they were not so incredibly expensive.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Apr 302015

My husband and I purchased a Dodge Caravan from a dealer and since purchasing it, we have had nothing but problems. Our door lock system has stopped working in which my mother who is disabled and can only be put on one side of the van related to her stroke, was unable to exit the vehicle. The locking mechanism wouldn't let us open the door and we live in Texas. We had to keep the car running until we were able to transfer her to the other door. We now can only put her in on her "bad" side which puts her at risk for injury (and us). After that we had problems that started with the gages bobbing up and down and the interior lighting system is not working right half the time. It also has the anti-lock brake system light come on and then the front end shakes. We have replaced the alternator, grounding wires, checked fuses and battery and cables. Nothing has worked, but there is no check engine light to get codes from until the car was at an intersection and died!!!!! now it is frequently dying when we are at a stop for red lights, stop signs and...recently it died while I was yielding for a left turn. I have had several car accidents and I nearly got T-boned at this intersection. Even when the car dies, it would usually start right up until a month ago. Now it may start up right away or it may not start for 15-30 minutes after it dies. In Texas we need the air conditioning. I am now refusing to put her in something I consider a "death trap". I am now putting this down in writing because I have now a code that says it is the body control module. From reports, there are hundreds of these same vans with this same problem. It needs to be recalled as it isn't an isolated problem. And now if this van dies at a critical traffic maneuver and I or my husband or mother or children become injured, we will look into legal action.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Feb 072015

Caravan 4-cyl

I was driving my Dodge Caravan 2005 on the freeway and the exterior lights kept turning off and the instrument panel where the speedometer is would too. I was scary and dangerous had my three children and pregnant wife with me at the time. We could have been seriously injured.

- Indio, CA, USA

Sep 172014

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V234000 (electrical system) and stated that the part was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 042014

Caravan 6-cyl

I have been having issue with my head lights not wanting to cut off when parking. Sometime they would also just come on while parked. The head lights have now, on three different occasions cut off while driving at night. I have to reach down and turn the head light switch off and back on for them to work again. I thought Chrysler ha a recall for this on my model van, but they are telling me no. Please help as I believe they are dodging this issue, which is a true safety hazard that they should repair.

- Rougemont, NC, USA

Apr 232014

Driving down the road, the dash lights will flicker, ABS and brake light will flash on and off, the door chime will go off and the radio will shut off and turn back on. In the evening time while the dash lights flicker, it causes the headlights to flicker also. Once in a while when it flickers, it will cause the van to die.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Jul 172014

Caravan 6-cyl

As I was driving from the airport, before I just was about to get on the expressway, my speedometer was indicating that I was driving 90 miles per hour when I know for a fact that I was maintaining a speed of 35 miles per hour (keeping with the flow of other vehicles). My dashboard was a mass array of flashing lights. Speedometer was erratic going from 20 to 90. I then suddenly realized that my electrical windows failed to work as well as my doorlocks. I did not know what was happening nor what to expect. I was just praying that I would get home safely. This has happened since then with the speedometer (pretty scary). However, my electric door locks and windows fail to operate since that time. They're dead! nada, zilch!.I purchase this vehicle in Illinois and am so sorry that I did. My brakes locked up and my left rear tire was ruined from the tow onto the flatbed, where it was towed to my mechanic. This vehicle has some severe electrical problems.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

Aug 172014

I was driving back from a friends and suddenly my dash board started to flash. I could still drive and the radio was unaffected however then the dash board lights turned off completely which really scared me. I had no idea how fast I was driving either. The dash board was black but then after a bit turned back on!

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 012013

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that the door power locking system failed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle doors only locked manually. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the electronic body control system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 62,000. Updated 08/14/14 the dealer informed the consumer, the computer needed to be re-flashed at a cost of $85. Updated 08/19/14

- Durand , MI, USA

Jun 022014

2005 Dodge Caravan. Consumer writes in regards to corporation and dealership violation of ada civil rights. The consumer stated the power locks were inoperable. The consumer was informed by a mechanic, it was a common problem with the software, with his year and model. The consumer stated, the locks, when disabled made it nearly impossible to support his quadriplegic mother. The dealer stated it would cost $100 to analyze the problem. The failure tripped the circuit breaker in the engine compartment and required access to the compartment, distracting and delaying support to the disabled user of the vehicle.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Caravan 6-cyl

Locks no longer work with the fob or the automatic lock/unlock button in the car. The locks no longer lock when the car reaches 10 or 15 mph. If it stops working while your car is unlocked, you can not secure your vehicle because you can not manually lock the trunk.

- Crafton , PA, USA

May 142014

The key fob works only on the two front doors. It does not lock or unlock the sliding doors or rear hatch. Very frustrating.

- Charleston, WV, USA

May 142008

The power door locks stopped working. The only way to lock or unlock the car is with the key, and there's no keyhole except on the driver's door. Dealer fixed it once: $89. Second time, he charged $400 for a new body module. Each time it stopped working again after about three months. He fixed it once more without charge, then said $89 each time thereafter. Another mechanic went over the wiring all the way to each door and found no problem. I have stopped paying for the fixes. I have tried the unhooking the battery and unplugging the fuse tricks but they don't work. So I drive without power locks and deal with the nuisance of manual locks. (the electric window motor on the driver side also failed - another $400 bill. This is my ninth Chrysler product but from now on I wouldn't take one if they gave it to me).

- Pomfret Center, CT, USA

May 102014

Caravan 6-cyl

Headlight go off and on going down the highway at the speed on 65 with no street light my family on four was in the van someone is going to get killed just like GM with the ignition switch.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Aug 012013

My power locks stopped working. The key fob beeped, but did nothing, and using the buttons within the car did nothing. I took it to a mechanic who fixed loose wires, and they worked again... for just a couple months. Now they told me I need to have Dodge "flash" the computer system, (for over $100!) but everything I've read online says that is only a temporary fix, and changing the fuse may fix it, again, temporarily. It seems to be a major defect and with children in the car, is a very major safety hazard. It's not okay to have to fix this repeatedly.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Aug 102012

Power door locks cease to function from internal switch or key fob. Key fob still activates anti-theft alarm and will lock and unlock the rear liftgate but not the front doors or sliding doors. Removing and resetting the iod fuse/relay will resolve the issue for a short time but it fails again within a matter of hours or at best a couple days. Dealer attempted to replace the door lock modules but this did not resolve the issue. Research shows that this is a known issue and there is a software update to resolve it but Dodge/Chrysler has not yet issued a recall or provided extended warranty coverage for this in spite of the widespread nature of the failures and apparently numerous complaints to

- Eureka, IL, USA