3.0

2006 Dodge Caravan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Caravan:

2006 Dodge Caravan Owner Comments

Feb 102009

Caravan

2006 Dodge Caravan 72,000 miles rack-in-pinion power steering system needs replacing. Chrysler dealer said last February they repaired 10,000 such. Someone needs to call them on this. There have been no recalls or compensation. Please look into this.

- Camden, SC, USA

Jan 122009

Caravan

I noticed that the steering on my 2006 Dodge Caravan was getting hard and that it was making a loud noise. I took it to my mechanic who stated it just need power steering fluid, he filled up. A few months later it did again, I added power steering fluid, then about 2 weeks later there was a puddle of fluid under the van, I added more power steering fluid and took it back to my mechanic, after he checked it he discovered that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. He told me to call Dodge and find out if there were any recalls, since they shouldn't go bad so soon. I called Dodge but they stated that I would have to pay since it is no longer under warranty.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 152007

Caravan

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. While driving various speeds in rainy weather conditions, the belts in the vehicle become wet when driving through an inch or more of water. As a result, the vehicle will have reduced power, a loss of power steering, and the alternator will reduce its conductivity. When the failure occurs, the contact is unable to make any turns due to the loss of power steering. He has to wait until the belts dry before the power steering can become operable again. The vehicle has not been taken to a dealer and no repairs have been made. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 22,000 and current mileage was 50,000.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Jun 152007

Caravan

Purchased used 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan May 2007, approx 20K miles; after driving an 2-3 hours highway speeds, medium pitch "growling" noise would come from engine area, pitch would go higher with steering; once car stopped for 15-30 minutes no noise heard, but return again after 1 hour of constant highway driving; under warranty dealer changed rack in rack & pinion steering; noise subsided. 6 months later, noise returned and persists, car out of warranty @ 70K+ miles.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 012007

Caravan 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Caravan. The contact stated that after two crashes, the vehicle was taken to a body shop and repaired. She heard a loud noise and began to drive the vehicle at an unknown speed. The vehicle continued to make noise and the steering wheel was loose and moved from side to side. The vehicle was very difficult to control. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the power steering failed. The current mileage was 47,000 and failure mileage was 30,000.

- Pleasantville, NJ, USA