3.4

2010 Dodge Challenger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Dodge Challenger:

2010 Dodge Challenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 292016

Challenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Challenger. While driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact lost power steering and the brakes became inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Apr 182016

Challenger

Purchased new in 11/2010. 2 years into ownership, on about 4 occurances, engine would shut off, loose steering control and brakes at the same time while making a slow right hand turn. Problem disappeared and thought it was a fluke of some kind. Now 3 years later it has started doing it again every time I drive it. When the engine dies you can barely steer and have to really pull hard on the steering wheel to keep from going into oncoming traffic. Brakes do not function properly either, you loose all power braking and it is very difficult to stop. I have searched the internet for this issue extensively. What I have found is about a hundred other different individuals on several forum sites describing exactly the same problem. Nobody had an answer to the problem and found just as many different things that people said were wrong ranging from ECM failure to several different modules and loose connections. When it first started it would only occur when slowing down and making a right hand turn. Now it does it at any time no matter whether sitting in a parking lot or driving on the street. You have to turn the key all the way off and then turn it back on to start it and there is always a delay from the time you do that till the time it responds. This is a very dangerous safety issue and a recall should be done as so many people have had the same issue without it ever being clearly understood what was causing the problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 052014

Challenger

Car shut down/powered off/turned off on it's own, while driving. Rapid automatic down shift of gears braking from about 65 to turn/while turning left onto side street on road. Car died after steering wheel began turning to left and car was turning. Lost power steering and power brakes. Nearly slammed into embankment and blocked intersection area. Very difficult to control/hard to safe vehicle: Hard to turn, stop, and restart. Check engine light did not come on/no odb codes stored. This was specifically scary as people drive through here fast and visibility is very short. After this event and the event in July, I became afraid I could die in this car. I took it to the dealership. They said a few error codes were saved in outer car systems that showed communication with PCM had been lost. They were replacing the PCM. However, replacing the PCM did not correct the problem. It has died 3 times since I started driving it in the spring this year. This is dangerous!!! the dealership refuses to investigate further. Please help.

Jul 172014

Challenger

Car shut down/powered off/turned off on it's own, while driving about 50 mph on a state highway. Car died while driving straight through an intersection at rush hour. Lost power steering and power brakes. Very difficult to control/hard to safe vehicle: Hard to turn, stop, and restart. Check engine light did not come on/no odb codes stored. Scary dangerous. This nearly caused a multi car accident. The risk associated with these shut down events was increasing drastically.

Jun 082013

Challenger

Car shut down/powered off/turned off on it's own, while driving at about 40 mph in residential area. This is about the 5th specific time I remember. Lost power steering and power brakes. Very difficult to control/hard to safe vehicle: Hard to turn, stop, and restart. Check engine light did not come on/no odb codes stored. Dealership couldn't find anything problem with car after July 7, 2012 event. They couldn't find problem this time either and sent me away with a phone #. they told me to file a case with Chrysler. Case #23728724 filed I believe after July 7, 2012 event.

Jul 072012

Challenger

Car shut down/powered off/turned off on it's own, while driving through parking lot at about 25 mph. Lost power steering and power brakes. Difficult to control/hard to safe vehicle: Hard to turn, stop, and restart. Check engine light did not come on/no odb codes stored.

Apr 212012

Challenger

Car shut down/powered off/turned off on it's own, while driving. Driving slowly in parking lot looking for parking space. Estimate speed at 10 mph. Car died. Steering wheel may have started turning to left to park. Lost power steering and power brakes. Hard to turn, stop, and restart. Check engine light did not come on/no odb codes stored.

Nov 122011

Challenger

Car shut down/powered off/turned off on it's own, while driving. Rapid automatic down shift of gears braking from about 50 to turn/while turning left onto side street. Car died after steering wheel began turning to left during turn. Lost power steering and power brakes. Very difficult to control/hard to safe vehicle: Hard to turn, stop, and restart. Check engine light did not come on/no odb codes stored.

Jun 072015

Challenger

Car turned off/shut down by itself while driving, resulting in loss of power steering and brakes, for the 7th time. Speed relatively slow around 30 mph, and not turning sharply. Driving in residential area. Lost power steering and power brakes. Very difficult to: Turn, stop, and restart. Vehicle did not store any codes. This is the 1st failure on the newly replaced PCM but 7th total since I bought the car new.. Dodge/Chrysler says this is "not serious" because there are no error codes saved in the car and they cannot duplicate the failure. They say if it was serious, there would be a code. They are not willing to look/ investigate further because there are no codes and it didn't die on their test drive while hooked to their diagnostic equipment. Service manager gene at waldorf Dodge said the srt help center/case manager recommended changing the transmission fluid & perform tune up; both performed 15K miles ago. (ridiculous. This is how women get treated at waldorf Dodge. He also told me the srt Challenger has a timing belt in the front of the engine-not). This is dangerous!!!

Aug 052015

Challenger

Car turned off while driving for the 8th time. Rapid automatic down shift of gears while turning right. State highway. 50 mph. Hit brakes hard, turned wheel to right. Car died after wheel began turning to right/during turn. Lost control. Lost power steering and power brakes. Very difficult to: Turn, stop, and restart. Vehicle did not store any codes. No vehicle in other lane so no accident. Dodge/Chrysler says this is "not serious" because there are no error codes saved in the car and they cannot duplicate the failure. They are not willing to look investigate further because there are no codes and it didn't die on their test drive while hooked to their diagnostic equipment. This is dangerous!!!

Sep 252015

Challenger

Car turned off while driving for the 9th time. Rapid automatic down shift of gears while turning left then to right. Green light, aprox 45 mph, taking left turn. Wrong way. Hit brakes hard, turned wheel to right. Car died after wheel began turning to right/during turn. Lost power steering and power brakes. Very difficult to: Turn, stop, and restart. Vehicle did not store any codes. Dodge/Chrysler says this is "not serious" because there are no error codes saved in the car and they cannot duplicate the failure. They are not willing to look investigate further because there are no codes and it didn't die on their test drive while hooked to their diagnostic equipment. This is dangerous!!!

Sep 252015

Challenger

Mystery shutdown. Intermittent electrical problems-shuts off while driving & lose steering & brakes. Terrifying. I┐M afraid it's going to kill me & my passengers. It's happened 7-9times, 3X w 5 passengers. Ave 1/10K miles. No common factor (slow, fast, rapid downshift, cornering, straight, side streets, country rds, highways, parking lots). Foot may have been on brake during all. Dealership found nothing wrong/no error codes. Cleaned throttle body & they sent away. Next time throttle body verified clean. July 2012 dealership said no flash to fix. I told them how dangerous it is. They gave me a Chrysler care number to file a complaint/get a case started on it. They wanted srt specialists in the loop. Other electrical bugs- not recognizing the fobs. Fob has been locked in the car twice. Signal drops out while driving & error ┐key fob not detected┐ flashes under the speedometer (pic taken at 70mph on 6/8/15). Summer/fall 2014, after ~4 shutdowns at low speeds, started happening at speeds greater than 45. Dangerous! it died going straight through a busy highway intersection at 45 mph at rush hour-nearly rear-ended. Then it shutoff while making a sharp fast turn at a blind corner; this time I almost slammed into the embankment. I knew I had to get it addressed before it kills me. 1st Chrysler claim 23728724 addressed 9/2014 by replacing PCM. Lost communication w PCM codes found. 2015 spring, shut-down starts again. Took to dealership in merritt island, fl ~9/8/15. Please check for codes, the car was shutting down again. Denied. Told to return to dealership that worked it 1st time. 3rd time 9/25/15, 3 senior engineer passengers when it died during rapid downshift turning event. During re-initialization, car abruptly jerked- passengers scared; inches from serious accident -slamming into a work truck & nearly rear-ended. 2nd claim 27895859 in work unknown

Apr 202014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Challenger srt. The contact stated that the power steering fluid was leaking. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering pressure hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. However, the problem recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000.

- Wayne, MI, USA

Feb 042015

Challenger

The power steering has lost function at low idle in my low mileage 2010 rt classic, making it very difficult to turn.

- Concord, NC, USA

Dec 162014

Challenger 6-cyl

While doing an oil change on my car, I found that the power steering hose was leaking where the hose is crimped to the hard line. After some online searching I found recall 10V475000 related to this same issue with other Chrysler vehicles. According to the recall, Chrysler does not include the build date of my vehicle. I don't understand how my vehicle, which was built only a few months prior to the recall, would not be covered when the issue occurring with my vehicle is identical to the recall. Power steering lines on a 3 year old car should not fail this early.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 032014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2010 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that the power steering fluid was leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering pressure hose needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign: 10V475000 (steering). The failure mileage was 51,364.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 222013

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 012013

Challenger 8-cyl

I was on the highway when all of a sudden I lost power to the engine and steering. I was not able to get to side of the road. I was stuck in the middle of the highway. I had the car towed to the shop where I was told that the timing chain had broken. Wow

- East Point, GA, USA

Aug 272011

Challenger 8-cyl

Engine quit while driving on the freeway with no warning! I was extremely lucky that it didn't quit on one of the back roads I drive every day to work, because there are no shoulders to pull over on, and I will most likely be rear ended when it happens again, and I know it will.. I can tell the failure is going to happen again from my past experience, and I have notified Chrysler several times about it, but they refuse to fix the issue.

- Arbuckle, CA, USA

Jul 072013

Challenger 8-cyl

While coming around a sharp left bend in the road of a winding road my car stalled and I had a very hard time steering and braking to get the car to a complete stop. I was very lucky that I didn't end up in the ditch and also very lucky that the driver behind me was alert and did not crash into the back of my car. I restarted my car and it seemed to be ok. I have had my car for sometime and this is the first time I have ever had a problem with it. Doing research on the internet I found numerous other postings about this same problem, but there have been no recalls or service bulletins about it.

- Schwenksville, PA, USA