3.4

2012 Dodge Challenger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Challenger:

2012 Dodge Challenger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 262015

Challenger

When the vehicle was parked and completely shut down the window constantly went up and down 1/4" until the battery was completely drained. The battery is now destroyed and will not hold a charge. The vehicle was bought at a dealership that same day that this started happening.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Sep 162014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While driving 45 mph, all the instrument panel lights illuminated. In addition, the gauges failed to function and the rpms increased excessively when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failures recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Mar 222015

Challenger

About 2.5 miles from home, my car began to make a humming/whining sound when I would push on the accelerator. I began to panic and called my dad using the U-connect bluetooth hands free system. About 1 or 2 minutes into the call, I lost power to the radio. Then the ABS light and the stability control lights began flashing on and off. The odometer stopped reading my speed and all needles on the dash spiked then fell flat showing no readings at all. As I continued to roll down the hill, I started to smell melting/burning. I tried to roll down the window and hand no power. The car finally died when I pulled into my neighborhood to enter the gate code. My car then blocked the entire entrance to complex until I could get it towed. There was an alternator recall I was not made aware of, yet the dealership had it noted on my account. (thanks for telling me.) and then the battery was so corroded that I needed to replace the battery, positive cable, and rewire. The alternator costs were covered but I am out almost 1200$ on the rest.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 152014

Challenger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While driving at night, the headlights would dim intermittently without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 93,000. Updated 6/3/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Updated 7/7/2015

- Bogart, GA, USA

Nov 172014

Challenger 6-cyl

2012 Dodge Challenger. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle malfunction and consumer seeks reimbursement for repairs.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Nov 202014

Challenger 8-cyl

Once vehicle is parked and completely shut down. Driver's side window constantly rolls up and down until battery is drained. It only rolls down approximately a quarter of and inch. Completely drained and destroyed a battery and now its working on the second battery.

- Austin, AR, USA

Dec 122014

Challenger 6-cyl

Fiat Chrysler Dodge has issued a recall on all 3.6 liter V6 alternators because the amperage is causing fires in some cars but mostly the alternators are failing and once they fail, the battery goes within a few days with no warning. I was driving on the highway when my car lost all electrical, no power steering, no lights, which also means no airbags or anything. I pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor to keep it running and was at 40 mph before I could finally get off the highway. I stopped at the redlight and the car just shut off. I contacted Chrysler through my service agreement and got roadside assistance to take the car back to the dealership where I bought it in 2012, I told them about the recall and they told me Dodge had not released the parts to anyone yet. They gave me another faulty alternator and a new battery, lied to me and told me that the alternator has nothing to do with charging a battery, told me that Dodge wouldn't reimburse me for the service, and told me to come back in a few months if Dodge had sourced the parts. It's four months later and Dodge is sporadically releasing the new higher amperage alternators, some dealerships are getting as low as 4 alternators and that's it. So every day I drive my car, I wonder if this is the day that the alternator fails again, and leaves me on the highway again, or in the middle of traffic, or in the middle of an intersection, or on train tracks or god knows where else! I'm contacting Dodge after this to let them know what is going on and how displeased I am.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Oct 152014

Challenger

Received notice of alternator recall in December 2014. Alternator failed in October and vehicle was towed to dealer at my expense. New alternator was installed at my expense. I have requested reimbursement as required by the recall not three times with no response from Chrysler. Recall notice said payment would be made with 60 days. It's been over 90 days.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Nov 222014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jan 292014

Challenger

2012 Dodge Challenger. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle alternator recall notice. According to the invoice, the ABS light illuminated, and the left front window would not roll down. The consumer sent in recall notice # 14V634000.

- Eastvale, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Feb 232015

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the parts needed for repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The vehicle had not experienced a failure.

- Oklahoma, OK, USA

Feb 162015

Challenger 6-cyl

Car completely want start. Had a jump start and the car crunk up however to go out to crank the vehicle the next morning and the vehicle want start at all. Contacted the dealer they stated they don't have the alternator for the vehicle and would be able to do a temporary fixed. Not only do I have to pay out of pocket $150 just for them to do the testing. I also would have to pay for the alternator for the recall 1300 because my car has reached 45000 miles. If the car has a recall why should we have to pay so much out of pocket because of their error.

- Macon, GA, USA

Feb 122015

Challenger 6-cyl

The car alternator went out and to my understanding this is already been documented. Chrysler llc has yet to come up with any alternatives to fix the issue and has inadequate parts to remedy the issue. Chrysler llc wants to replace recalled parts with the same recalled parts which could cause accidents, injury and death.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Maysville, KY, USA

Feb 052015

Challenger 6-cyl

Alternator failure (documented recall) caused the vehicle to stall and lose all power. Lucky this was at low speed on a surface street vs. Highway speed and interstate. Was able to coast vehicle to a side street however blocking one lane of travel. Vehicle would not start nor shift to neutral and the hazard lights would not function it was completely dead. Had vehicle towed to dealer for repair. Dealer installed a new alternator subject to the same recall and stated that the proper replacement is on back order as well refused to pay towing (cost incurred due to a failed component under recall) stated they were doing us a favor by not having to pay for the repair and providing a rental car. This is a serious issue that will cause a crash and or fatality if this happens at highway speed or on any busy thoroughfare. It is unacceptable to replace a failed part with another part subject to the same recall. Another solution needs to be available other than subjecting owners of these vehicles to continued serious safety risk while awaiting back ordered parts.there are alternate replacements that could be obtained by Dodge vs. Having the oem of the alternator cover the entire recall cost. This is a Dodge issue to its consumers however Dodge pursues recouping its costs is its own issue. They are blatantly putting cost above safety and not accommodating owners to defer cost. Keeping a vehicle in operation with this serious of an issue will be disastrous at some point. Many owners have no alternative but to operate the vehicles with the issue given their financial situation. Impacted owners should have costs of mitigating the risk such as a long term rental car deferred by Dodge while awaiting an appropriate repair/replacement of the recalled part given the seriousness of the safety risks involved. Updated 3/31/16

- Plant City, FL, USA

Jul 202014

Challenger

Sudden alternator failure resulting in car nearly catching fire, battery fried. Paid out of pocket for repair and rental car. 2nd alternator sudden failure again < 6 months later, and battery fried again. Dealer expects me to pay out of pocket again and just wait on a remedy and I would eventually get reimbursed. Not all of us have money to throw around. I'm a single mom with two kids. This is very dangerous and could end up causing a bad accident. Very disappointed.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Jan 132015

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system) however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Palm Beach Gardens , FL, USA

Dec 292014

Challenger 6-cyl

Driving to work. Car starts to make a whining noise then the ABS and stability control lights come on, I drive the car up the road a little more and the radio turns off and the gauges start to move erratically and then the car just died, completely in the middle of the road, when the hood was raised you could clearly smell something burning. Car taken to the dealership where I am told that the "parts to provide a permanent remedy for this condition are not currently available". I was told by the dealership that the alternator would be replaced with a new one but it would fall into the same category as the recall. I got the car home and while reading the repair paperwork realize that the alternator was not replaced just "repaired and replaced". very upset and scared to drive this vehicle! not to even mention how upset about being lied to by the dealership. Could go on and on about this bad experience!!

- Haleyville, AL, USA

Dec 032014

Challenger 6-cyl

I was driving along the road and approached a set of lights to make a left turn. While making the left turn, my ABS brake light and traction light started flickering, the interior instrument lights turned off, my sunroof and windows secured itself, my nav system shut off and the vehicle appeared to be failing. After pulling into a gas station and parking the vehicle, I shut the vehicle off and after a few seconds, turn the ignition on. The vehicle would not start up so towed it to the dealership. After the dealership completed some diagnostic testing, they advised me that my alternator was defective as well as my battery and both would require replacement. My vehicle has approximately 75,000kms and it is very difficult for me to understand that a 2 year old vehicle requires a replacement alternator and battery with very little mileage. Most batteries on the market typically have 3 to 5 year warranties and most alternators usually require replacement at 130,000 to 160,000kms. The repair cost $1,125 (cad). I am deeply disappointed with the quality of the components with my Chrysler as well as trifling issues I?ve had with my Dodge Challenger. I would be very reluctant to purchase another Chrysler/Dodge vehicle ever again.

- Innisfil, Ontario, Canada, NY, USA