3.4

2012 Dodge Challenger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Challenger:

2012 Dodge Challenger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 082014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled and was unable to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the battery was replaced. The failure recurred multiple times and the vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the key module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure persisted. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed were unavailable for repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Nappa, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Challenger 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph on the interstate, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart but the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the alternator had failed. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 35,000. Updated 01/22/15 updated 01/26/15

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Nov 162014

Challenger 6-cyl

While driving home with my 11yr old son my car started making a high pitch sound. Then all the dashboard lights came on and the car stalled. Due to no electrical power, I couldn't use my emergency lights. To prevent rear end crash, I had to hand signal to cars to go around. Vehicle was towed to my home. Had the car diagnosed and was told the alternator had went bad. The cost for parts and labor is 900-1000$. I have not had the vehicle fixed. I contacted Chrysler and was told the list was still being compiled of VIN's affected and they would begin to notify customers Dec 5th. Chrysler is not reimbursing for any towing or rental car expenses due to this recall.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 182014

Challenger 6-cyl

Driving on a main street - all console started to blink and vehicle went dead. No control over the vehicle. Pulled off to the shoulder. Tried starting it and nothing. Called aaa and they tried jumping my car and he told me the same - car is dead and said that my alternator is fried.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 042014

Challenger

While driving on a two lane road, the car began to lose power and steering control. It became very difficult to get the car to a safe location. It turned out to be the alternator. I saw on this website the older 2012 cars Challengers were recalled with the same engine and alternator. I was very lucky not to have crashed my car.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 312014

Challenger

While driving down highway at 55mph I noticed a whining sound and a few miles later I lost all electrical functions in my car including the steering and the car shut off. When I had it towed to the Dodge dealership they told me the alternator had failed. Car is a 2012 Dodge Challenger SXT plus V6 3.6L. While there is a recall on alternators for 2012 - 2014 Dodge Challengers that have a 3.6L engine, the dealership is telling me that mine is not a part of that.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 252014

Challenger 6-cyl

Was driving home when the battery light appeared then the ABS and traction control lights started flashing. I got home turned the car off and was not able to start it again. Took the battery in for recharge and then took the car to the auto parts store and test the alternator. The alternator went bad.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 262014

Challenger

I got in my vehicle to run an errand. I turned the car on and the ABS, brake, airbag, seat belt and every other light lit up and stayed on. A ringing sounds started and my radio began to flash until it finally went out. The car died and would not come back on. I am unclear as to what the issue may be. I was in the car earlier in the day and everything was fine. Their was no warning that the car would soon shut down completely.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 072014

Challenger 6-cyl

Pushed start, car sputtered, and then turned off. Pushed start again and car turned on normally. After about 10 minutes all the icons in the instrument panel lit up, gauges fluctuated wildly, and the stereo turned off. Parked it and it wouldn't start anymore, couldn't even roll up the windows. Warranty had just expired so I made the $600 repair myself.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Oct 072013

Challenger

The battery completely stalled unexpectedly and appeared to have heavy corrosion. I was eventually able to get the car started and took it straight to my local dealer. I explained the issue to the service representative and they agreed to replace the battery post. Unfortunately, the same issue occurred to me and my son approximately one year later when the car completely stopped. I had to purchase a new battery on a two year old vehicle. I am extremely concerned there are some major issues with the electrical system in this vehicle considering the recurring instances of the car stopping unexpectedly. I have a wife and children and want the manufacturer to be aware of what I am experiencing with the car. I pray nothing serious occurs while my family is in this vehicle. I have communicated my issues to the dealer and they seem to not be interested. I'm sure they will be all ears should something happen and Dodge is on the front page of the newspaper.

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Sep 252014

Challenger 6-cyl

I had observed a whining sound for several weeks before the incident. It was like a power steering pump without any fluid in it. I tried to listen under the hood to locate the sound but it seemed like it was coming from low in the engine bay on the left side, looking at it. My wife left for work and as she pulled off, the noise was very loud and worse than before. I hoped she was going to be alright and make it to work. She called me just as she was getting to work, when the vehicle ABS and traction control indicators lit up along with a constant alarm chime. She was able to park and call me. I left home to go there. I started the car up when I got there and all was normal until I started to take it to the dealer. On the way, there was an intermittent alarm chime. I rolled down the windows during the ride to listen for noises. As I approached the dealer and parked, the ABS and traction control lamp lit up as well as some chiming. I tried pushing the traction control switch with no result. I tried to roll up the windows but they would not work. As I was getting ready to shut the car off, the engine died. The service tech was right there and asked what happened. I said I had an electrical problem. He checked me in and got the tablet out to read the error log in the car. He said I had an alternator failure. When they checked the car in and were trying to move it, the battery had died and they jumped it to get it going. I asked about another noise and said it was the water pump.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 212014

Challenger 6-cyl

My car started smoking, the battery light came on, and the ABS light started flashing. Eventually little by little the car started to die and was dead on the highway. The battery seems to not be sending the charge to the car meaning the alternator is bad. Lots of people seem to be having this issue as it appears online.

- Tuxedo, NY, USA

Sep 142014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that stated the driver's side power window independently opened and closed. As a result, the terminal battery failed and required charging every day. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Sep 042014

Challenger 6-cyl

I have had several electrical problems since I purchased by vehicle in May 2012. In June 2012, the problems began to include the pmc, driver's side window malfunctioning, the alternator, and seven other electrical malfunctions. My vehicle has less than 49,000 miles and although other 2012 Dodge Challenger owners have been experiencing problems, Dodge does not think anything is wrong. My vehicle was about to cut off on me in the middle of the road. Thank god I was able to pull over.

- Ellenwood , GA, USA

Aug 142014

Challenger 6-cyl

I was driving when all the alerts on my car started going off and it quit working. It wouldn't recognize my key then I had to try and get it started for 15 minutes. When I did, it wouldn't switch out of 1st gear. I drove it to the dealership where I paid 175$ for a new battery which wasn't even the problem. I wasted a completely good battery. Then, they told me it was the computer and it could be weeks or months until I receive the part because it is on national back order.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Jul 062014

Challenger 6-cyl

As I have seen here in this complaints board my alternator also had fail while I was driving with my wife and friend in the vehicle when the high pitch sound came through speakers and the ABS & traction control light came on with a constant beeping chiming, then all of a sudden the all the cluster lights flashing and one of the cluster needle began to move erratically, I quickly moved to the shoulder and as I came to a stop the vehicle died and lost all power. We notice a burning smell coming from engine compartment and when I lifted the hood my friend notice the smell was stronger and as I looked to see what was burning I then saw the alternator smoking. I hurried to the back seat and laid down the seat to crawl to manual release cable to access the battery where I had to break the positive terminal to battery so the car would not catch fire. Called dealerships to warranty this but none would they directed me to Chrysler where I spoke with three persons there and they stated the same thing due to mileage its not covered. Very dangerous situation when all power is lost and if quick thinking and reaction on my part this could have ended differently. There are no notice's, recall's or safety warnings for this how can this be?

- Irving , TX, USA

Jun 232014

Challenger 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and my instrument panel started going crazy, lights were coming on, the speedometer was jumping up and down, then my radio and air conditioner shut down, then I lost power steering, and about 30 seconds later the car died in traffic on a busy highway. It was towed to the dealership and the next day I was told that first I needed to authorize the purchase for a battery so they could get it to come on, which I did. They called back later and told me my problem was that my ignition switch was stuck in the on position which caused it to fry the ignition switch and my battery. I contacted Dodge and they gave me a case # in which I followed up today and was told they were sorry there is nothing more they can do. They even told me that there have been similar issues and that Dodge was looking into the problem, but for now they couldn't help me. Another thing that really bothered me other than my car flaking out 200 miles after the warranty expired is that I get a letter in the mail the same day from Dodge about extending my warranty.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Mar 292014

Challenger

On 3-29-2014 I was driving my car to the gym and the ABS light came on and off started flashing after I parked the car and finished from gym 1 hour later the car wouldn't turned on. Then it turned on and wouldn't go the break light came on. After that the car completely turned off nothing working I couldn't even roll up the windows and I was unable to even open the trunk. I towed the car to the dealership I do have extended warranty and I asked them what the problem was they told me that the alternator was damaged and they switched it. I asked them was caused the issue so I can prevent it. They said they have no idea how this happens. So if I was on the high was and driving 70mph and the alternator stops working most likely I will crash to another car or my car will just stop in the middle of high was and could kill me or someone else. Now im planning to trade in my car because no one explains to me how to prevent this issue from happening this is serious problem. Once the alternator stops working. Nothing working in your car nothing so how can I trust a car like this ??

- Irving, TX, USA

Oct 292013

Challenger 6-cyl

First, to happen was I pulled out of driveway when the "brakes' warning light came on. Continued travelling, and soon became nightime driving. Was going approx. 55 mph, when the instrument panel began to flash numerous warning lights. Then, the radio and interior lights began turning off and on. I was not able to manually turn off the radio during this time. I continued to drive to try to make it to a gas station. Then I felt hot air coming thru the vents. It was like I had on the heater, but I didnt. (nor the ac was on.) the car lost all power. The steering wheel locked. I was stranded. I was not able to put the car in neutral to move out of dangerous roadside nor was I able to put on the hazard lights, they came on but were very dim and slow flashing. All power was lost, no horn, lights...nothing. Did notice a burn smell coming from under the hood, but not sure what the cause was. I had it towed to the dealership. They stated it was an alternator/battery issue. They replaced the alternator/battery, however the airbag warning light was now on and horn no longer working. I didnt understand why the dealership didn't repair the airbag warning light and the horn. They did acknowledge these issues on my invoice yet no repairs were made. I have almost had 2 collisions since this. I was not able to sound horn to warn opposing drivers, and I still have no horn to sound. Both the airbag and horn malfunctions are hazardous and I dont understand why they didn't repair them at the deaership. ? thank you.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 132013

Challenger 6-cyl

Window doesn't always automatically move down as it should when opening and closing the door requiring reprogramming (holding the "down" switch for 10 seconds after window is all the way down then holding the "up" switch for 10 seconds after window is closed). Window also sometimes goes down on it's own after door is closed and owner walks away from the vehicle. This is not only a major inconvenience, but can possibly lead to fire due to electrical issues when window randomly goes down allowing rain/water to enter the vehicle while unoccupied (not to mention security issues).

- Four Oaks, NC, USA