3.4

2012 Dodge Challenger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Challenger:

2012 Dodge Challenger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 232016

Challenger

Took my car in for oil change they said there was a recall on the timing chain and belt so they replaced it the next morning my battery light, ABS, traction control light came on by the time I got to work it would not restart. Battery would not charge became extremely hot it melted the jumper cable handles.no power what so ever...2 service men came to tow me and they both stated it was very unusual it would not charge at all... very discouraged since it only has 23,000 miles... I was stranded on a city street for 4 hours waiting ist person locksmith/battery charger couldnt jump it so he left then called for a tow truck...

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 132016

Challenger

With the vehicle shut down and after exiting the vehicle, driver side window moves up and down without being prompted. It continues till the battery is dead.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jul 282016

Challenger

My 2012 Challenger rt V8 alternator went out at about 51,000 miles. It cost $600 to replace, but 7 weeks later I am getting a low voltage alert again. I had it tested and the alternator failed. I'm afraid this car is going to die in the middle of an intersection. The V6 was recalled for alternator problems. I have seen where several owners of V8's have complained of the same thing I have (lights dimming, windshield wipers causing radio lights to dim, whining sound under hood, random low voltage alerts on radar detectors, then suddenly the car stops running, everything shuts down); no recall has been published for the V8 but I feel we are experiencing the same problems.

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Aug 052016

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While driving at any speed, the front driver side window rolled up and down on its own. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the module within the door handle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 65,500.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Feb 032016

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While at a traffic light, the vehicle stalled without warning and failed to restart. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the alternator was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but did not assist since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Pharr, TX, USA

May 232016

Challenger

2012 Dodge Challenger. The air bag warning light stays on constantly. I took my car to the local dealer in Liberty tx, where they told me that there were no recalls. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in a recall. If I want the issue fixed dealer says it will cost $250 and up. This has been a ongoing problem for over a year now.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Feb 272016

Challenger

Driving and the power surged, all lights came on, none of my gauges worked and steering felt extremely loose. Have been waiting since last summer to get this fixed L. and now two months since it finally went South and have still been waiting. Wonderful job by the company.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Nov 032015

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. In addition, the window independently operated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the door latch was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,348.

- Mcdonald, PA, USA

Mar 022013

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that the push start feature did not function and the brakes seized. The ABS, the traction control, and the check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician declined to diagnose the vehicle. The contact mentioned that prior to the failure, the vehicle had the alternator replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 61,000.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jan 272016

Challenger

Though there is a recall on the alterntors for entry models, my car lost all power while I was driving on the freeway. I could not steer and braking became difficult. I lost my headlights as well. The same exact thing happened to my vehicle as was described in other's reports on sudden failure while in motion. I was at about 65 mph when this occurred. I have the Challenger rt classic 5.7 liter hemi

- Antioch, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While the vehicle was parked, the contact observed that the driver side windows moved up and down without being prompted. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 012015

Challenger

On November 1st I was driving on the highway and my driver side window kept going up and down about 3-4 inches by itself and would repeat it over and over. Now my car when it is parked and locked the driver side window goes up and down by itself until it drains my battery dead..

- Davenport, IA, USA

Dec 072015

Challenger

Driver side window going up and down and it drained my battery. Now I have to pay 500 dollars to get the door latch fixed because it's 'bad'. it's an electrical problem that obviously is happening to many people. Please do a recall on this problem!

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Challenger

For the past few months my driver side window will go up and down every few seconds when the vehicle is parked. I park in a garage and first noticed when I went out and heard loud noises coming from my car. I thought maybe I had not closed the door properly and made sure to check each time after. It continued to happen nearly every time the car was parked. So much so that now the battery needs to be charged daily. This has also caused the rubber edging to start to rub of on the window, and not seal as tightly. When I do park outside and there is bad weather, such as rain or wind, the inside of my car will be wet or dirty. I have found were this has been recalled on other models and would like to have it covered for mine.

- Evans, GA, USA

Nov 132015

Challenger

Both driver and passenger windows go up and down every 3 seconds when the car is off. Causing the run the battery dead. I have taken to the dealership multiple times they claim to reset the smart glass switch. It keeps happening and now that my warranty is out they offer to replace. I see this is a recall on 2011 models but it hasn't hit the 2012 yet. When it rains my entire seats are soaking wet and I have a dead battery every other day.

- Crandall, TX, USA

Aug 262015

Challenger

I have a 2012 Dodge Challenger and my driver side and passenger side smart windows be going up and down on it's own while the car is off and parked with the alarm on.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 152015

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. While reversing at a low speed, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that the alternator and the battery needed to be replaced. The alternator was replaced, but the battery was not. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 58,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the head lights cut off without any warnings. The contact stated that when the vehicle came to a complete stop, the head lights turned back on. The contact stated that while at a completed stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle experienced unexpected acceleration speeding up to 120 mph. The contact stated that in order to stop, the brake pedal was depressed with extreme pressure, causing the rear passenger side tire to blow out. The contact believed that the vehicle was being hacked. In addition, the contact stated that the air bag and traction control warning indicators were illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Benton, TN, USA

Dec 292014

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system); however, the recall parts needed were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 042015

Challenger

The window motor keeps running and killing the battery. From what I've found out, this is a common problem. Also, people can see this as an opportunity to easily reach into the car.

- Henrico, VA, USA