2012 Dodge Challenger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Challenger:

2012 Dodge Challenger Owner Comments

Dec 172014

Challenger 8-cyl

Heavy rust on steering and control arms and other structural joints and welds.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Mar 212015

Challenger

I was driving in the rain in the middle of downtown houston Texas, when I heard something pop/snap then my car started pulling very heavy to the right (extremely hard to steer). When I pulled over, I got out of my car and saw that the passenger side front end was almost touching the ground. When I was finally able to take a good look behind my tire, I saw that the strut plate and strut rod had snapped into, making my car inoperable. This malfunction could be due to a weak weld or something of the sort. But I do know that this is not normal, especially since I did not hit a pot hole or even a small bump in the road to even cause the snap. I am grateful to be alive because it could've been a whole lot worse.

- Wesson, MS, USA

Nov 162014

Challenger 6-cyl

While driving home with my 11yr old son my car started making a high pitch sound. Then all the dashboard lights came on and the car stalled. Due to no electrical power, I couldn't use my emergency lights. To prevent rear end crash, I had to hand signal to cars to go around. Vehicle was towed to my home. Had the car diagnosed and was told the alternator had went bad. The cost for parts and labor is 900-1000$. I have not had the vehicle fixed. I contacted Chrysler and was told the list was still being compiled of VIN's affected and they would begin to notify customers Dec 5th. Chrysler is not reimbursing for any towing or rental car expenses due to this recall.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Challenger 6-cyl

I had observed a whining sound for several weeks before the incident. It was like a power steering pump without any fluid in it. I tried to listen under the hood to locate the sound but it seemed like it was coming from low in the engine bay on the left side, looking at it. My wife left for work and as she pulled off, the noise was very loud and worse than before. I hoped she was going to be alright and make it to work. She called me just as she was getting to work, when the vehicle ABS and traction control indicators lit up along with a constant alarm chime. She was able to park and call me. I left home to go there. I started the car up when I got there and all was normal until I started to take it to the dealer. On the way, there was an intermittent alarm chime. I rolled down the windows during the ride to listen for noises. As I approached the dealer and parked, the ABS and traction control lamp lit up as well as some chiming. I tried pushing the traction control switch with no result. I tried to roll up the windows but they would not work. As I was getting ready to shut the car off, the engine died. The service tech was right there and asked what happened. I said I had an electrical problem. He checked me in and got the tablet out to read the error log in the car. He said I had an alternator failure. When they checked the car in and were trying to move it, the battery had died and they jumped it to get it going. I asked about another noise and said it was the water pump.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jul 232014

Challenger 8-cyl

I have a hard time steering my car. I have the electrical hydraulic power steering on my car. The owner manual does not match the car. I have after market wheels on my car and they have been on there for over two years now. Never had any problems until now. The dealership say its my after market rims but a lot of Dodge have after market rims and does not have any problems and have a lot more miles on there car than I have on mines. I think its a issue with the power steering and Dodge will not take owner ship of it.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 232014

Challenger 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and my instrument panel started going crazy, lights were coming on, the speedometer was jumping up and down, then my radio and air conditioner shut down, then I lost power steering, and about 30 seconds later the car died in traffic on a busy highway. It was towed to the dealership and the next day I was told that first I needed to authorize the purchase for a battery so they could get it to come on, which I did. They called back later and told me my problem was that my ignition switch was stuck in the on position which caused it to fry the ignition switch and my battery. I contacted Dodge and they gave me a case # in which I followed up today and was told they were sorry there is nothing more they can do. They even told me that there have been similar issues and that Dodge was looking into the problem, but for now they couldn't help me. Another thing that really bothered me other than my car flaking out 200 miles after the warranty expired is that I get a letter in the mail the same day from Dodge about extending my warranty.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 012012

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the steering failed causing the vehicle to veer into oncoming traffic. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be replicated. The failure recurred several times and was taken to the dealer where the front hub bearings and rack and pinion were replaced. The contact also stated that while driving, a snapping sound could be heard and steering control decreased. The vehicle was returned to the dealer and is currently being diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted and was in communication with the contact for approximately a year. The failure mileage was 7,803 and the current mileage was 11,653.

- Phoenix City, AL, USA

Dec 102012

Challenger 6-cyl

2012 Dodge Challenger going 10 mph in parking lot, turning right into parking space, car accelerated by itself, and stuck itself at full throttle speed, brakes failed, power steering failed. Car hit and went up on concrete barrier. Bounced back, stalled.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Mar 022012

Challenger

Squeaking or electric motor whirring noise at low speed maneuvers such as a parking lot or backing out of a garage.. I took my car in for it's 1st oil change and tire rotation mainly because of the low price & I wanted to check on the steering noise too. I also had a clicking noise in the passenger wheel when making a left turn into the carport also which they claimed they never heard anything, even though I was looking around the lot while they were and heard my car running and one of the techs outside the car told the one backing out of the bay "I hear it!" now what sound he heard I don't know, probably the clicking which was much louder. The squeak, in my opinion, is really embarrassing when in a quiet area it sounds like a bushing or suspension that needs lubricating. The squeak was still there but it was nearly inaudible when at my dealership due to busy highway and shop noise. The worse thing about the whole experience was the service writer who was obviously young and inexperienced, I asked about the noise the squeaking noise and his reply was "they all do that." I was like ok, I better walk out before I blow my cool but now I wonder if it is the electric motor and if that is a known annoyance, problem or is it repairable? I've seen other posts about the electric steering motor being loud on similar cars and other non mopar vehicles. I had always thought it was the rubber bushing that many older LX cars had in need of some silicone lube but after looking again myself and much closer with a little help from my dad turning the wheel it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side near the engine black as best I can tell, and that's when I realized it's an electric motor whirring sound, not a rubber bushing or tie rod end.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 012012

Challenger

At slow speed I can hear a winding noise, (noise sounds like powering steering fluid is low, even though it is full and no leaks). You can hear the noise at low speed for example backing up and turning the wheel (even if the wheel is only turned a quarter of a turn) or when you have to turn in to a driveway.

- Carson, CA, USA

May 192012

Challenger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Challenger. The contact stated that the front passenger side wheel detached from the vehicle. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer. The dealer would not inform the contact of what caused the failure, but the tow truck driver advised the contact that the tie rod was fractured. The failure and the current mileage was 14.

- Toledo , OH, USA

Feb 222012

Challenger

The components causing issue are suspension and steering components, such as the struts, strut plates, control arm, bushings and tie rod ends, the axles, rear suspension arms, and the U-joint connectors for the drive shaft, photographs have been taken by criswell Dodge in gaithersburg, md.

- Germantown, MD, USA