2006 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Apr 192015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that there was a loud knocking sound coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and it was determined that two of the engine cylinders needed to be replaced. The failure caused the check engine light to illuminate on the instrument. The contact also stated that the engine ran hot and it was determined that it was because of pressure building in the radiator and a leak in the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 292013

Charger 8-cyl

Gear shift stuck in park car in garage aaa towing came out towed car and repaired $312.16 other 2006 Chargers on recall list for this same issue this one needs to be also it is a special edition model so only 2000 made of these it's obvious by recall list this is an issue, why should I have to pay just because my car is a special model.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 142015

I had just tanked up the car with premium unleaded, pulled out and came to a stop at light. The car surged and shut off, I placed it in park restarted it. Then driving again 2mins later the car started stall I put it in (N) revved the engine. I had to stop at light and the engine again shut off, , put in (P) restarted it and before reaching home it started to stall again, but I was able to keep it running until home this trip was only 4miles.

- Bourg, LA, USA

Jan 102015

Charger 8-cyl

Random stalls at low RPM. Sometimes is park but mostly at rest in drive. Yesterday it stalled while moving.

- Lake Mary , FL, USA

Aug 272013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle would not come out of park. Had to have it towed to shop "pink" plastic "shift interlock latch" broke the shifter was replaced.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 032014

This problem started about a month age. After filling the gas tank the car stalls repeatedly nearly causing my family and I to be rear ended on the expressway killing all of us. This problem is continuous. Every time we fill up the vehicle it stalls numerous time putting us and everyone else on the roadway in danger.

- Speonk, NY, USA

Sep 042014

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the gear shift became stuck in the park position. The contact had to use a screwdriver in order to move the gear shift out of park. Also, the contact stated that the key became lodged in the ignition. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Shirley, IN, USA

Sep 012014

Charger 8-cyl

Foot on brake... start car... can not move shift leaver from park position.

- Perris, CA, USA

Sep 012014

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the gear shifter was stuck in the park position. The dealer stated that the gear shifter bracket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V583000 (power train). The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Soutl Lake City , UT, USA

Jun 162014

Charger 8-cyl

When driving @40mph, engine lost power, dash signaled 'ding', and throttle body warning light illuminated. It restarted as the car coasted. Has repeated numerous times, including today, 3 times in less than 1 1/2 miles, at less than 20mph. No trouble codes scanned or displayed. Symptom went away for 1 1/2 months after changing out spark plugs, as a Dodge tech recommended. He also says the ignition coils deteriorate over time, and the internal shielding does not keep stray 'noise' from travelling into the engine controller, effectively resetting it, and showing no codes. Having 8 factory coils to replace at $55 each is quite a gamble that may not fix the issue. Aftermarket coils apparently do not fix this, either. I have tightened every electrical grounding point I can find on the car, unplugged/plugged numerous connectors to reseat them. This is a very dangerous safety issue, and it appears on '06 and some 07 Chargers. If this happens and a collision occurs because of this, I will seek full legal remedy from fca(Chrysler) as this is an obvious liability/safety issue.

- Santee, CA, USA

Aug 122014

Charger 8-cyl

I am the original owner of this vehicle, and have regularly maintained it and performed all the scheduled maintenance at the manufacturer's suggested intervals. The vehicle operated normally, with no indications of any issues. On 8/12/14, I went to start my vehicle and it made a horrendous banging noise before immediately shutting down. I had to have the car towed home (as I was thirty miles away) and discovered the engine valve in piston #2 had broken and shattered, causing an engine failure, with the only repair being a complete engine rebuild or replacement. A check on-line showed this is a common and recurring issue with this model and engine type (2006 Dodge Charger R/T). I reported the issue to Dodge, and was told there are no known issues with the engine of valves, however the Dodge technician at the dealership said it is a common problem and should have been recalled. The evidence to this is the engine parts needed to fix this (block, valves, etc.) are on a 2 to 6 month back-order. Please help! I can not afford to basically pay for a new car for a known issue that should have been prevented by the manufacturer.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Jun 182014

I was driving on the main road going around 45 mph. Then my car stalls in the middle of the road as if I wasn't in drive. I continue to push the gas and make I was in drive and nothing happened. I tried to pull of the road but my car would not move. As I put the car in park the car continue to roll. I had to sit with my foot on the break until the tow truck came to tow my car. Had my car worked on paid $1500 dollars and I'm still having the same problem the car want go in gear or it just stalls. So far I have had my car towed 6 times since June.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 012014

Charger 6-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Charger transmission shifter is stuck on the park position. When I contacted Chrysler in regards to their customer satisfaction notification K39 transmission shifter interlock lever recall they stated that my car was not in recall but on the notification it states 2005 - 2007 Dodge Chargers where on recall for the shifter inter lock being stuck on the park position. I was told that only certain VIN numbers where on recall & that although my car is experiencing the same problem with the same part its not on recall, but if my car was in that same time frame, has the same parts & is experiencing the same problem as the others that where on recall why is my car not on that recall & why I cannot get my car repaired?

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 262014

Charger 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L V6 new in May 2006. I absolutely loved this car until summer of 2009 just after my warranty expired, my gear shifter stuck in the park position and had to have it towed. I called Dodge to see if there was a recall on this problem after reading about so many other people that had same issue. Was told no, I paid to have it fixed somewhere around $450-500. On Monday I had to have my car towed because it broke down on my way home from work. It sounded like the car was going to explode like in a cartoon. It was making knocking noises and sounded like a diesel truck. Mechanic told me that my engine was shot. How could this be? my car has 67,716 miles on it!!! very low mileage for a 2006 vehicle. Called Dodge and asked if there was a recall on the engine problem. I read of many, many other people having this same issue. No recall, but if I can have it towed to an approved Dodge dealer and get a diagnosis from their mechanic, call back. I was given a claim # from Dodge hq. I have an insurance adjuster going out tomorrow morning to assess the damage and the problem. I am furious! I spent a lot of money on this car and it should last more than 67K miles! update from Aug 5, 2014 update: 8/5/14 insurance told me that it is a known common issue with the Dodge Charger and because of this, there are not many recycled engines available or if they are found, it might have same issue as mine did. Adjuster said that it was a pressure leak that only happens while driving causing the filter to expand and oil to leak. My engine is beyond repair! I called Dodge hq again and was told that there are no recalls on my vehicle after checking my VIN#. also told me they will not help me. They told me I can file a complaint with NHTSA. Meanwhile I am taking the bus. Not a happy camper!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 232014

Charger 6-cyl

Column shifter will not go into park. Shifts into other gears, but will not engage into park. Car will roll if parking brake is not engaged, or switch into a different gear. Chrysler stated that the recall is only VIN# specific, but clearly it is effecting all 2006 Chargers.

- Valparaiso , IN, USA

Jul 012014

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger. Consumer writes in regards to faulty ignition switch. The consumer stated the vehicle had a transmission leak, and it shuddered, the sun roof rattled and the side trim fell off. A former transmission specialist, informed the consumer, the condensation drain for the air condition dripped onto the transmission and pooled around the transmission filler tube. When the vehicle reached a 140,000 miles, it began emitting white smoke, to the point where the consumer was unable to see out of his rear view mirror. An inspection revealed the valve seat of the #3 cylinder had dropped out, smashing two large holes one on each side of the piston, the size of a quarter. There was also a hairline crack across the apex of the piston hole-to-hole, the debris had pummeled the cylinder head. Also, debris from the damage had been sucked back into the inlet manifold depositing metal chunks into the #1 and #2 cylinders damaging the pistons and heads with small chunks of metal embedded in them. Updated 08/28/14

- West Covina, CA, USA

May 082014

2 months ago I was leaving work and got in my car to go home. My car would not shift out of park. I had it towed to a dealer and was charged 1500 to repair!! after learning of all the go recalls, I've come across many people who have experienced the same problem. I also understand that some cars were recalled and some not, for the exact same issue! how is that even possible" I am requesting this issue be investigated and go to be held accountable! some are being told it wasn't recalled due to not being a safety issue??? how is it not a safety issue if you can't move your car? I could have been anywhere in an emergency situation where I had to leave. Furthermore, even if it's not considered a safety issue, how is the consumer to be held liable for an obvious manufacturer defect?" please investigate this matter.

- Hercules, CA, USA

Mar 012007

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate and would not accelerate past 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired but the defect had recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 172014

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift from park to drive. The contact applied the overide button to no avail. The vehicle was to be inspected, diagnosed and repaired by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,693.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls out at low speeds or when at light. Consistent with other problems raised concerning these vehicles.

- Longwood, FL, USA