2006 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Jun 072014

Charger 6-cyl

Transmission shifter interlock lever spring broke inside gearshift. Car will not shift out of park. NHTSA website and phone call revealed that 2005-2007 avengers recalled for same exact issue, but not Chargers. Read over 200 complaints on NHTSA website and at least 80% of said complaints are same exact issue. An investigation should be opened about this. It is a very expensive fix for the owner, and not their fault.

- Eagan, MN, USA

May 252014

Charger 6-cyl

Cannot shift from park have tried so many things and doesn't work. I did some research and there was a recall for this so hopefully I don't have to pay out of pocket.

- Santa Ana , CA, USA

May 202014

Charger 8-cyl

My Dodge Charger will not shift out of park. Some (not all) Chargers have been recalled for this issue. Upon searching online, it is a known problem and Chrysler addressed some customers via Chrysler customer satisfaction notification K39. It states that "some 2005 through 2007 model year Dodge Charger, magnum, and Chrysler 300 equipped with a floor shifter" are affected. The transmission gear shift level interlock spring hook on your vehicle may break. A broken interlock return spring hook will result in the inability to move the gear shift lever out of the park position." This is a safety defect because if this vehicle was to stall and the driver put it into park to restart, the vehicle would be unable to go back into drive. It is a plastic piece that needs to be replaced but Chrysler is charging $375 because the entire shift assembly needs to be taken apart to address. It is unfortunate that Chrysler has recognized this defect on some Chargers but will not cover the repair on my vehicle for the exact same issue. My car is the same year as some of the cars impacted by the recall.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Dec 052013

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that he was unable to shift from park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that they were not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 08V583000 (power train). The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Princeville, NC, USA

Nov 042013

Charger 8-cyl

This vehicle has been flawless since purchased new in 2006. In Nov. 2013 it stalled when backing out of the garage. Restarted vehicle and was fine for 5 miles then stalled again. Ever since then the problem has increased in frequency and almost caused multiple accidents due to the vehicle stalling when crossing intersections or merging onto highways. I have not driven this car in months due to this as it is not safe for me or other drivers on the road. I have spent close to $2,000 in multiple attempts to fix this vehicle following repair manual procedures via the dealer. I have had the PCM, replaced twice (first one was defective right out of the box), tcm replaced, battery replaced, throttle body replaced, map sensor replaced, asd relay replaced and spark plugs replaced with zero improvements. I used to enjoy this vehicle and now it is a death trap with the way it is behaving. Something needs to be done as there are tens of thousands of these vehicles on the road exhibiting the same symptoms and dealer techs unable to properly diagnose and repair them.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Apr 282014

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift from park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 109,119.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Jan 172014

Charger 8-cyl

Car will stall at idle or when starting to accelerate car will cut off by it self and then restart.

- Hutto, TX, USA

May 072013

Charger 8-cyl

While waiting at stop lights, car idles fine. The moment the light turns green and I release the brake to step on the gas pedal the car stalls. This has happened up to 4 times in one day. Happened only once today 3/6/2014.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 262013

This isn't the 1st time that the engine has stalled after filling the fuel tank. Most recent episode happened as I was preparing to enter the gas stations drive-thru car wash...I had my foot on the brake to enter the code for the wash and just as I started to move forward the engine stalled. Happened a couple of months ago on the public right of way, I was stopped at a red light (just after a fuel up and just before I was about to enter the freeway). Another time I was in motion and it stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. The stalling affects the transmission. The engine is warm when this occurs. It takes about 3 attempts to successfully restart.

- Indio, CA, USA

Dec 262013

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with a 5.7 hemi. On several occasions, the engine has stalled when I was stopped at a stoplight. The car was in drive and stopped with my foot on the brake. After putting in into park, it would take several tries to get the engine started again. It also stalled once while coasting into my driveway. I was traveling at less than 5 mph with my foot on the brake. Again it was hard to restart.

- Hollister, CA, USA

Jan 232014

Charger 8-cyl

I was going down the high way and the car just shut off and then came back on like nothing happen they really need to recall this and it a hemi 5.7 daytona.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nov 182013

• 1,220,000 miles
Warmed up my car as I always did in the morning for 15 min pulled out of my driveway and proceeded to the down the street to the stop sign came to a complete stop and my car started to idle hard continued down the street at 35 mph and came to a complete stop at a stop light the car started to idle hard again then the red lighting bolt started to flash and car shut off. I put my car back in park and restarted the car proceeded for another file mile approached another stop light light and same thing hard idle and shut off. I took my car to four different dealerships no one knew what the problem was. One mechanic said that it could be throttle body so I had him remove it and clean it he also removed the cables to battery to reset it car work fine for three days no problem the on the fourth day did as I always did warm up car and take off car shut off at first stop light. I noticed that it didn't do it while it was warm out side this morning was really cold and same issue.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Dec 112013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle began to misfire and then stalled approximately 1/4 mile after filling fuel tank. This has happened multiple times and is occurring more frequently. This is a serious safety issue since vehicle stopped in the middle of an intersection and almost caused an accident. Was able to restart the car and continue to destination. Online forums attribute the cause to a faulty vapor purge valve/evap canister and requires fuel tank replacement.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 292013

Charger 8-cyl

Initially, after refueling my vehicle (2006 Dodge Charger R/T with 5.7L hemi) at a gas station, the engine would hesitate and stumble a mile or so later, and operate normally after a few moments. However, beginning within the last month, whenever I refuel at the gas station, the engine will hesitate and then stall.the obd does not illuminate the mil or register a dtc. The engine is then hard to restart, and once restarted and the transmission in drive, the vehicle will not begin to move immediately upon pressing on the accelerator, as if the transmission is in park or neutral. The stalling happens when pulling out of the gas station, when stopped and idling, and has happened when driving in traffic. This problem has resulted in several near collisions as the unexpected loss of power happens when pulling into traffic and while driving. This condition continues for several minutes and miles. I have gotten into the practice of refueling and driving straight home to park the car overnight, as it seems to drive better given time to sit after refueling.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Nov 042013

Charger 8-cyl

My vehicle shuts off at random times. While I am sitting at a red light it will shut off or while I am waiting for the car to warm up. When I take off the engine will shut off for a brief second. The engine starts up and the car will jerk forward. Sometimes when the vehicle shuts off it wont go back into gear and some of the gauges flash. I was left in the middle of an intersection twice when the vehicle shut off. I have taken the vehicle to transmission shops and dealerships and they can't tell me what is wrong with the vehicle.

- Wade, NC, USA

Nov 072013

Charger 8-cyl

My car has stalled 3 separate times right after I have re-fueled. When driving away from the gas station and onto the street it has sputtered and then turned off in the middle of the street. My vehicle will constantly turn off making it unsafe to drive it. I have once been in the middle of the intersection when my vehicle stalled, I am lucky I was not struck by another vehicle. But as you can see it is extremely dangerous having this happen when driving.

- Carson, CA, USA

Sep 252013

Charger 6-cyl

The gear shifter will not allow the car to shift out of park.

- Dover, NJ, USA

Sep 032013

Charger 6-cyl

My shifter does not engage fully into park. While in park without stepping on brake my 2 year old was able to move to R-N-D. you have to pull shifter all the way to the left to remove key from steering column but shifter will not lock.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 122012

Charger 8-cyl

Car began going into limp mode while driving down the road or coming to a stop and restarting. Now throws engine lights for cylinder 3 and cylinder 4 misfire.

- Clinton, IN, USA

Sep 022013

Charger 8-cyl

I was coming to a stop at a red light. The car began to shake like it was a manual transmission and was stalling, the car is an automatic. We stopped at the stop light and realized the engine had shut off. I put the vehicle in park, removed the key, and attempted to restart. It attempted 3-4 times to restart with no luck. I exited the vehicle to endure the gas cap was on and it was. After waiting for about 1-2 minutes I attempted to restart and was successful. This was about 2 miles after filling up the tank. This seems very similar to the currently pending investigation. It has not happened since but I have not filled up the gas tank since either.

- Yuma, AZ, USA