2.0

2006 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Sep 022013

Charger 8-cyl

I was coming to a stop at a red light. The car began to shake like it was a manual transmission and was stalling, the car is an automatic. We stopped at the stop light and realized the engine had shut off. I put the vehicle in park, removed the key, and attempted to restart. It attempted 3-4 times to restart with no luck. I exited the vehicle to endure the gas cap was on and it was. After waiting for about 1-2 minutes I attempted to restart and was successful. This was about 2 miles after filling up the tank. This seems very similar to the currently pending investigation. It has not happened since but I have not filled up the gas tank since either.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Sep 102013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the transmission shift lever failed to move out of park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 136,000.

- Summerton, SC, USA

Sep 022013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift from park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 08V583000 (power train). The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Jul 302013

Charger 6-cyl

Transmission shifter interlock lever return spring hook broke my 2006 Dodge Charger was in park overnight, went out to start vehicle, once vehicle was running, tried to take the gear out of park to drive and it would not release. Turned car off, sat for 5 minutes, started car again, put foot on brake and tried to take gear out of park, it would not release. Called mechanic and informed him of the situation, mechanic came to see vehicle and informed me that the shifter interlock lever spring hook was broken, that's why the gear shift would not come out of park. The mechanic informed me that it was going to happen to 2nd vehicle that I own (Dodge magnum) as well, for he's had a lot of Dodge vehicles with the same problem.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 042013

Charger

Drove to a business and once placed in park, the gear shift became stuck. Called aaa, they were going to tow it, then another driver showed up for aaa and knew just what to do. He takes apart the case that goes around the gear shift and presses on a pink colored emergency park release lever, ( why is that even an option??!!! ) it was obviously not attached to any thing as it fell down into the space around the shifter and still resides there. The discussion of towing it came up again, then we noticed a cable attached to the shifter and after playing with it have developed a system to unlatch it from park. You have to pull the cable to the left with a pen to disable the gear shift. Today I took it to where I bought it and they told me there was a recall on this and to take it to the Dodge dealership. The Dodge dealership knew just what I was talking about, but denies a recall on this. I am scheduled to have it fixed Monday the 12th. I don't feel I should have to keep paying for faulty equipment, this car has been a disaster since I bought it. The front end has been fixed about 4 times for vigorously shaking and a god awful rattling noise ( goes away for a short time then returns shortly after being fixed!!), numerous tires have been bought because that must be the problem too ( out of the mouths of the dealership), the tire pressure light stays on, the ABS light system malfunctions and has left me with a no brake sensation on multiple occasions. I have always owned Dodge, but next time I purchase a vehicle it wont be a Dodge.

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Jul 242013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift from park. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Fillmore, CA, USA

Jul 232013

Charger 8-cyl

When I got into the car to leave work I could not get it out of park. I got a ride home and returned the next day and called the Dodge dealership. They said they have had this happen numerous times and that it could happen anywhere. One of the mechanics had it happen when he stopped for fuel. The part cost $7 and the labor is $175. I feel I was fortunate that it did not happen while I had my infant grandkids with me and that it happened at work, so at least I was not stranded somewhere alone. Evidently Dodge is aware of the problem because the mechanic said they used to have to replace the whole shift mechanism and now Dodge has come out with a cheaper part to fix it. It evidently doesn't have anything to do with the year because they said they have had it happen on brand new vehicles as well as older models.

- Puxico, MO, USA

Jul 112013

Charger 8-cyl

Car would not shift out of park - researched issue online to find this is a common problem with Chrysler/Dodge products that the shift interlock mechanism fails and the car becomes undriveable as it will not shift out of park. Took apart shift console to manually move mechanism out of park and get it to the dealership for repair. Dealer confirms shift interlock mechanism was at fault. Contacted Dodge - although there have been numerous recalls for this same issue with other Dodge/Chrysler models/years - the 2006 Charger is not "officially on the recall list", so I had to pay for the faulty mechanism replacement out of pocket.

- Marengo, IL, USA

Dec 272012

Charger 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle the engine will unexpectedly stop. The event has happened several times. Often it occurs after fueling. The vehicle has been into a garage for repair but the problem continues. Sometimes when the event occurs the only way to restart the vehicle is to place the vehicle in park, press the accelerator all the way to the floor and turn on the ignition.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jan 102013

Charger 8-cyl

My car have mis fire cylinder 1 it shakes when it cold then after a while it goes away, transmission driving bad out of no where going only 30 miles the fastest in my car stuck in park.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 212008

Charger

I was driving when my car seemed to stall and start back. The most scariest times are on the freeway. I've been in the fast lane and had it happens car stalls and kicks back on. I've taken my car to Dodge dealers and they can't figure it out. I love my car but I'm really getting sick of them not fixing the problem. I'm having the same problem as everyone else so I'm not going to type it up in detail. But there is no reason why a car can stall itself and restart back up with no trace it ever happen. It's dangerous to the driver and passengers and incoming traffic. My car has been checked from the engine own and its showing nothing. My car is currently at chapman Dodge Chrysler and Jeep and I got the call today saying its nothing showing wrong. It seems its electrical because when it happens it loses power and when I starts back on it has a kick to it. I'm just asking for it to be fix before someone gets killed.

- North Las Vegas , NV, USA

May 242013

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 hemi I had just filled my car with gas completely full until the one click of the handle, replaced the fuel cap closed the fuel door and started the engine ran just fine, I make a left turn out of the gas station make it about 100 feet and it stalls I lose all power and it dies I was able to restart the engine but it continued to this for several days I was told it was the fuel pump so I replaced the pump and still had the same issues do I took it to the local Dodge dealership after three days I was told it was possibly a bad coil pack but they could not tell me which one it was they replaced all plugs and one pack it now runs but not the way it should I looked up similar issues and kept coming across the same problem with other Chargers of the same year that it was something to do with the gas tank.

- Galena, KS, USA

Apr 022013

Charger 8-cyl

As I was driving across the desert on I-10 in Arizona, all of a sudden my car lost all engine power. The lights on the dash chimed, my rpms dropped to zero, then just as suddenly they all went right back to normal and the engine jerked us forward as the tranny figured out what gear it belonged in. It started like that, only happening on occasion. Now, I can't make it more than 1-2 miles (literally) without stalling out or losing engine fire. If it happens when I'm at a low mph the car just stalls out and died. No power steering or brakes, but the lights and radio are working. On the hwy at higher speeds, it lurches as described above. On the on-ramp, however, it becomes a life or death situation, especially when starting on a downhill ramp with a big rig wailing up behind me. I have been missed by truly only inches on multiple occasions. I can't afford a new car, they can't find what's wrong with mine, and I can't sell a vehicle that won't make it for a test drive. Can we please get a fix" answers? wasn't it my tax dollars that bought this company out of bankruptcy"

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 072013

Charger 8-cyl

Transmission failed to function properly. The transmission went into limp mode. Problem diagnosed as fouled transmission wiring harness due to fluid contamination. The speed sensors and connectors at the transmission were damaged by the leaking of transmission fluid by the O-rings associated with the sensors and harness.

- Clarkston , MI, USA

Jan 212013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the fuel tank, leaving the gas station the car stalled out several times. First out of the gas station, then 2 more times while getting on the freeway. Very nerve racking. This has been a consistent situation everytime I have filled up for the last several months. I have not been able to use the vehicle to travel back and forth to work or other business needs. Not real happy right now. Have contact dealer and waiting response.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 102011

Charger

The car stalls while driving. It completely shuts off with a loss of all power. Shifting to neutral and restarting while in motion typically works to regain power. This has happened numerous times over the last several months, with no pattern as to when or why. The car has been taken to the dealer twice to no avail.

- Maylene, AL, USA

May 152013

Charger 8-cyl

I purchased this 2006 Dodge Charger R/T from a dealership in woodland, ca immediately after leaving the lot I drove approx. 20 miles on my way home the car started stalling while I was driving on the freeway, I will be driving along and it will suddenly jerk and lose all power for a split second (if someone was riding my bumper it would have been an accident for sure) as it lost power the RPM gauge went all the way down and jumped back up as if the car died completely and restarted itself, it chimed even as if I had just started the car. I have researched this issue online and see its a very common problem to no avail. I took my car to the dealership in my hometown and they could not find the problem, said it was spark plugs etc I ended up spending $550 and its still stalling sometimes up to 15-20 times a day its very dangerous unfortunately the car is out of warranty and I cant afford to keep dishing money out to Dodge. I seriously believe this is a common issue with Dodge and Chrysler vehicles as I've seen online very many people having this same problem but there's no solution as far as I can find! im kinda scared to drive the car like this but its my only means of transportation so this needs to be looked into!! its dangerous!

- Modesto, CA, USA

Apr 232013

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7. at least once per day (and often much more often), during acceleration, car will go into "limp" mode, where the engine or transmission will stop producing power to the wheels. Engine light will "ding" and RPM will drop from acceleration RPM down to about 2000 RPM and cause the car to hesitate, creating an especially dangerous situation on highway merging. Car will come back on line after about 1-2 seconds, and run normally. The more I push the acceleration, the more likely to occur. Also, car will simply stall at low speeds or while in idle. I bought the car about 30 days ago, and reported to the dealership immediately, and they duplicated the issue. They thought it could be a short, but after 3 hours labor (they covered this cost), did not correct it. They do not know what it is, and are next looking into a torque converter possibility, and also looking at the throttle body. Not sure at this time if they will come good for the fix in the long term. This stalling loss of power and going into "limp mode" seems to be excessively common on these cars, according to blogs and Dodge sites online. While the local dealership has been extremely helpful and great work with so far, this should fall on Dodge itself, not the dealer, to make good for, as it seems to be a prevalent and dangerous issue. Very dangerous situation, and Dodge/Chrysler should make this right for everyone.

- Brewer, ME, USA

Jan 102011

Charger

I just read an article on yahoo stating an investigation in the 2006 Dodge Charger engine stalling. For 2 years I had this problem and it was inadvertent but dangerous, especially when driving interstate speeds. The engine would stall out, almost like you turned the key off and then back on. It almost cost me a wreck on the interstate. It would also do it at idle speeds but at that RPM it would kill the engine. I took it to the dealership on numerous occasions and because the problem was intermittent they were unable to diagnose it. When it finally got worse, I was told it needed new plugs. I changed them and it didn't fix the problem. Then they changed all 8 coils and it didn't fix the problem. Finally as a last resort they replaced the computer and it fixed the problem. This whole process cost me about $4,000. A month and a half later the transmission started dragging and not shifting properly, so instead of going through the same process again I decided to get rid of the car.

- Waterville, KS, USA

May 082013

Charger

I had some issues with my car stalling and getting stuck in gear, I was told by a mechanic to change the strainer which was supposed to be done there at his shop along with some body work. After getting my car back I drove it maybe 2 days before it completely just stopped going into gear. I can crank it up but the car will not budge. Now today 5/12/2013 my brother showed me a button that is in the gear shift that you can push to get it out of gear. So I guess the problem is that the button that is supposed to pushed this in when you push the brakes down is no longer working. I was thinking transmission and that is not my problem.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA